reading cases ahead of time? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
MTBike

Bronze

Re: reading cases ahead of time?

Post by MTBike » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:52 pm

Flips88 wrote:Don't do this.

Also, stop being a gunner.
Sounds to me like she just wants to be prepared and make her 1st year as easy as possible for her... How that qualifies as a "gunner" I have no idea.

Will this help her? Probably not, OP.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:56 pm

MTBike wrote: Sounds to me like she just wants to be prepared and make her 1st year as easy as possible for her... How that qualifies as a "gunner" I have no idea.

The kind of person who wants to read cases during the summer for anything other than basic familiarization to reduce anxiety is going to have a higher chance of being a gunner unless they control themselves.

MTBike

Bronze

Post by MTBike » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:59 pm

spleenworship wrote:
MTBike wrote: Sounds to me like she just wants to be prepared and make her 1st year as easy as possible for her... How that qualifies as a "gunner" I have no idea.

The kind of person who wants to read cases during the summer for anything other than basic familiarization to reduce anxiety is going to have a higher chance of being a gunner unless they control themselves.
Your confusing "gunning" with a good work ethic... don't confuse them.

TheGreatWhiteHorse

New

Post by TheGreatWhiteHorse » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:00 pm

The whole idea is terrible. Law courses use a million different texts on the same subject, in the same school. Professors teach what they want and disregard cases that they don't think are important. How does one even know what their 1L profs are going to want to hear/see? It's too subjectively taught to try and get any kind of preparatory "leg up." In fact, I would argue that reading cases will lead a wee bit of knowledge and preconceptions...which are BAD. It might do more harm to OP than good.

MTBike

Bronze

Post by MTBike » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:01 pm

TheGreatWhiteHorse wrote:The whole idea is terrible. Law courses use a million different texts on the same subject, in the same school. Professors teach what they want and disregard cases that they don't think are important. How does one even know what their 1L profs are going to want to hear/see? It's too subjectively taught to try and get any kind of preparatory "leg up." In fact, I would argue that reading cases will lead a wee bit of knowledge and preconceptions...which are BAD. It might do more harm to OP than good.
That is true.... but familiarizing herself with legal briefs wouldn't be detrimental. Just don't assume the content will be helpful in class.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:03 pm

This is still about the biggest waste of your summer before law school.

MTBike

Bronze

Post by MTBike » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:04 pm

Flips88 wrote:This is still about the biggest waste of your summer before law school.
Now I agree with you

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:05 pm

MTBike wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

Nah, I'm not. I said higher chance, not guaranteed. About half the really hard workers in my class are gunners, the other half aren't. But the gunners seem to run 75/25 with the majority of those being the kind of people who tab their books during the winter break... their old books, from last semester. Sure, some gunners are slackers who bring up irrelevant points their Yogi taught them about yesterday during their awesome hot yoga session, but most of them spend waaaay too much time on irrelevant crap the could've avoided if they hadn't had the urge to study the appendices to the book.

MTBike

Bronze

Post by MTBike » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:10 pm

spleenworship wrote:
MTBike wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

Nah, I'm not. I said higher chance, not guaranteed. About half the really hard workers in my class are gunners, the other half aren't. But the gunners seem to run 75/25 with the majority of those being the kind of people who tab their books during the winter break... their old books, from last semester. Sure, some gunners are slackers who bring up irrelevant points their Yogi taught them about yesterday during their awesome hot yoga session, but most of them spend waaaay too much time on irrelevant crap the could've avoided if they hadn't had the urge to study the appendices to the book.
Yeah but being prepared and doing well in school doesn't make you a gunner. Gunners are a special kind of asshole, and to group hard workers into the same pile as gunners is just unfair.

Gunners bring up bullshit for no reason, hard workers do not. You have to agree with that right?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:15 pm

MTBike wrote:
Yeah but being prepared and doing well in school doesn't make you a gunner. Gunners are a special kind of asshole, and to group hard workers into the same pile as gunners is just unfair.

Gunners bring up bullshit for no reason, hard workers do not. You have to agree with that right?
Fair enough. Gunners are a special kind of asshole.

All the same, I stick with my assertion of a correlation.

TheGreatWhiteHorse

New

Post by TheGreatWhiteHorse » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:39 pm

Know what might be helpful? Studying some RWA crap. I still wouldn't do it, mind you...but if you absolutely MUST do something other than sip pina coladas and crisp, refreshing beers by the pool, you might want to get a handle on legal writing. It is an abortion of a process, belched out of the deepest depths of hell for being too punishing and vile.

So ignore the cases and check out memo/appellate brief structure...just so you won't want to eat a bullet when they start "teaching" it to you in 1L.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”