Help: I have no idea about the law school admission process!

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
babul

Help: I have no idea about the law school admission process!

Postby babul » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:50 pm

Hello,

I am preparing to take the LSAT on June and enroll at a San Joaquin College of Law by fall. Although I am a bit concern with student debt. I don't want to owe thousands of dollars, especially when the odds of employment and the economy are really bad. I been thinking about getting a student loan to buy a house and rent it. After a few years, the house would pay for my debt.

I also been thinking about the possibility of getting a scholarship. I don't know how complicated it is to get one. I seen the many get cover a portion or even a full ride to law school. I want a piece of that. But, my practice LSAT scores aren't that great. I feel I am able to get at least a 150-155, although a scholarship would be an incentive to study more.

My major is in Criminology; Undergraduate GPA of 3.34 from Fresno State.

I am writing my personal statement letter with an incident that occurred as a juvenile- Gang associate arrested for possession of a metal knuckle. One year probation... Get from a GPA of 1.5 in high school to a 3.34 in college. A success story? lol jk.

When you take the LSAT, do law schools from around the US offer you scholarships to attend their law school? Or do you need to do really great to receive those offers?

Would I be able to buy a home with a loan and use rent money to pay for future loan?

Is my personal statement letter approach good?

Thanks! It's really a challenging decision. The unit at San Joaquin College of Law is $825.00, I think I need about 78 units to graduate.

Ded Precedent

Re: Help: I have no idea about the law school admission process!

Postby Ded Precedent » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:58 pm

1. You can't buy a house with a student loan. Period.

2. You should aim higher than San whatever law school you mentioned.

3. You have to actually apply to the law school and be accepted in order to get scholarship offers.

The good news for you is that the LSAT is an incredibly learnable test so you should be able to do much better than a 155 if you're willing to put in the work. I suggest browsing the LSAT forum (especially the "stickied" threads). Set aside enough time and aim for 180.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:06 am

What exactly do you expect to do with a JD from an unaccredited law school, when roughly half of all grads from the 200+ accredited schools can't find legal jobs? How many legal jobs do you think there are in Fresno? If you don't get one of those very few jobs, you're SOL because an unaccredited JD from a school no one's ever heard of will not travel.

It's cheap, which is about the only point in its favor. When you're unemployed after graduation, at least you'll only be five figures in debt instead of six. :?

t14fanboy

Postby t14fanboy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:07 am

babul

Postby babul » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:47 am

rinkrat19 wrote:What exactly do you expect to do with a JD from an unaccredited law school, when roughly half of all grads from the 200+ accredited schools can't find legal jobs? How many legal jobs do you think there are in Fresno? If you don't get one of those very few jobs, you're SOL because an unaccredited JD from a school no one's ever heard of will not travel.

It's cheap, which is about the only point in its favor. When you're unemployed after graduation, at least you'll only be five figures in debt instead of six. :?

That's true, I thought of it, but I am not sure what to do. I know a couple of successful attorneys from the local school. But, I won't be able to afford moving elsewhere to attend law school. Is law school really worth it? I don't know, I am skeptical of pursing my career goals. I should have study medicine or something else. My criminal record has made it incredibly difficult to get into law enforcement. So, I am basically screwed.

babul

Postby babul » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:50 am

Ded Precedent wrote:1. You can't buy a house with a student loan. Period.

2. You should aim higher than San whatever law school you mentioned.

3. You have to actually apply to the law school and be accepted in order to get scholarship offers.

The good news for you is that the LSAT is an incredibly learnable test so you should be able to do much better than a 155 if you're willing to put in the work. I suggest browsing the LSAT forum (especially the "stickied" threads). Set aside enough time and aim for 180.

Ah, I just thought it would be smart to invest in real estate and use the profits to pay the loan balance. I'll look around. I'll save some money to invest in the application process.

If I get for a loan, how much do banks or federal banks loan per year?

Thanks!

941law

Postby 941law » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:58 am

if you have a serious criminal record then the ABA will not allow you to practice law because they will fail you in the portion known as character & fitness. have you been convicted of a felony?

your loans will be through fafsa.gov and will be enough to cover living expenses and tuition, etc. Not purchasing houses. How do you figure you won't be able to move somewhere for school? Are you living at home right now?

you MUST attend an accredited school if you want to practice law in this country.

Ded Precedent

Postby Ded Precedent » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:03 am

I also looked at that law school's bar passage rate. It's abysmal. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Joaquin_College_of_Law

DO NOT GO TO THIS SCHOOL.

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:04 am

941law wrote:if you have a serious criminal record then the ABA will not allow you to practice law because they will fail you in the portion known as character & fitness. have you been convicted of a felony?

your loans will be through fafsa.gov and will be enough to cover living expenses and tuition, etc. Not purchasing houses. How do you figure you won't be able to move somewhere for school? Are you living at home right now?

you MUST attend an accredited school if you want to practice law in this country.

Technically don't need to attend an ABA accredited school in California, but it's still an incredibly bad idea.

OP, why not study medicine? There are plenty of prep degrees designed to get your into med school... There are people going to medical schools in the Caribbean and making more money than most newly minted JDs.

babul

Postby babul » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:12 am

941law wrote:if you have a serious criminal record then the ABA will not allow you to practice law because they will fail you in the portion known as character & fitness. have you been convicted of a felony?

Na, it is not a felony. It is a misdemeanor. It's not a huge problem. Just a stupid decision I made as a minor.

Yeah, I am living at home. I am right in the center of California- between LA and SF.

Are you a lawyer? Is law school really worth it?

babul

Postby babul » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:18 am

danquayle wrote:

Technically don't need to attend an ABA accredited school in California, but it's still an incredibly bad idea.

OP, why not study medicine? There are plenty of prep degrees designed to get your into med school... There are people going to medical schools in the Caribbean and making more money than most newly minted JDs.

Really, seen how things are playing out, I would have prefer to study medicine. What options do I have with a bachelors in Criminology? What graduate schools can I attend?

941law

Postby 941law » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:26 am

babul wrote:
Na, it is not a felony. It is a misdemeanor. It's not a huge problem. Just a stupid decision I made as a minor.

Yeah, I am living at home. I am right in the center of California- between LA and SF.

do you have a passion for medicine or law? DO NOT go into either unless you really want to do it. You will hate your life.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:29 am

babul wrote:

Law school is worth it to some people in some situations.

Here on TLS, it can mostly be boiled down to this:

Situations in which law school is an ok idea
1. Top school. Even then, the definition of 'top' varies according to the person you're asking. Some say only Harvard/Yale/Stanford are worth the full sticker price gamble. Some say top 6, top 10, top 14, or even a few schools below the T14 like Texas or UCLA. Some say only attend below a T3/T6/whatever with scholarship, some say any of these at sticker price is ok.

2. Respected state school that dominates a less-desireable area with low cost of living (think Nebraska or Idaho), in-state tuition, with ties to the area and significant scholarship. Relatively low-cost, so you'd have a decent shot at being able to pay off your debt with the kind of job you're likely to get coming from a Nebraska or Idaho.

3. Respected Tier 1 school with big scholarship and local ties to the region in which the school places. BC/BU/USC/Vandy/Davis/etc.

4. Independently wealthy/parents footing the bill, and don't care whether you actually get a job: go wherever.

5. Have an absolutely 142% guaranteed high-paying job lined up for after graduation and you just need a piece of paper that says 'JD': go wherever.

An unaccredited school is still nearly always a bad idea.

t14fanboy

Postby t14fanboy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:40 am

941law wrote:
babul wrote:

do you have a passion for medicine or law? DO NOT go into either unless you really want to do it. You will hate your life.

+1. How do people not understand this?

babul

Postby babul » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:34 am

941law wrote:
babul wrote:

I do have a passion and love for law. Over the years, life's bumps have given shaped to that passion. I am a "noob" when it comes to law, but family problems have lead me to learned through experience. I dealt with wrongful evictions, unlawful detainer proceedings, drug cases, and more recently a divorce. I always try to be an active participant while dealing with attorneys. I do my research and help them prepare there case.

I just don't want to be stuck in the position that I am today. Jobless with a degree. I can't imagine being in the same positions with a debt of 70k+. Although, if I had a JD, I would want to role solo.

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:39 pm

t14fanboy wrote:
941law wrote:
babul wrote:

+1. How do people not understand this?

This is a little silly considering people don't actually know the day to day lifestyle and stresses of each job. Even then, most people have a passion for the theory of a field rather than the practical applicable of that theory.

I'm not saying not to do research, but please tell me how many people have a "passion" for reviewing 10 SW licensing agreements every day or pleading the 5th DUI case this month?

t14fanboy

Postby t14fanboy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:44 pm

Yes, but the thrust of my statement was that it seems hard enough to succeed in the legal world without thinking "what if I had gone to medical school instead." Not a happy place to be IMO.

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:59 pm

t14fanboy wrote:Yes, but the thrust of my statement was that it seems hard enough to succeed in the legal world without thinking "what if I had gone to medical school instead." Not a happy place to be IMO.

Sounds like OP wants the prestige element. As someone from a lower socioeconomic background (sounds like OP is too), I can understand the sentiment of "law or medicine." And it is very real. I've said it before, I would much rather be a lawyer making 50k than a nurse making 90k. You do get significant social bump from a "prestige job" from the unitiated to legal reality.

TheGreatWhiteHorse

Postby TheGreatWhiteHorse » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:49 pm

You want to go to an unaccredited school for an expensive education in a field with a roughly 45-50% job placement rating...and you want to dip into the cesspool that is the real estate market to finance it...seems legit.

Wait. What?

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:16 am

Oh man, please be trolling.

Buy House, Go to unaccredited law school
???
Profit

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:00 pm

babul wrote:Hello,
I been thinking about getting a student loan to buy a house and rent it. After a few years, the house would pay for my debt.
What? No.
I also been thinking about the possibility of getting a scholarship. I don't know how complicated it is to get one. I seen the many get cover a portion or even a full ride to law school. I want a piece of that. But, my practice LSAT scores aren't that great. I feel I am able to get at least a 150-155, although a scholarship would be an incentive to study more.
Study a LOT more. Aim for nothing less than upper 160's. A class might be very beneficial for you, despite its cost.
My major is in Criminology; Undergraduate GPA of 3.34 from Fresno State.
Seriously, aim higher for that LSAT.
I am writing my personal statement letter with an incident that occurred as a juvenile- Gang associate arrested for possession of a metal knuckle. One year probation... Get from a GPA of 1.5 in high school to a 3.34 in college. A success story? lol jk.
When you take the LSAT, do law schools from around the US offer you scholarships to attend their law school? Or do you need to do really great to receive those offers?
Yes, but generally not with your stats. Work harder for that LSAT.
Would I be able to buy a home with a loan and use rent money to pay for future loan?
No.
Is my personal statement letter approach good?
No. Check around TLS for PS advice.
Thanks! It's really a challenging decision. The unit at San Joaquin College of Law is $825.00, I think I need about 78 units to graduate.
Are you afraid of leaving the area? You can do much better than that school.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:11 pm

Wait, how is OP meant to get into med school with a degree in Criminology?

josh43299

Postby josh43299 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:15 pm

Whoa... This thread... I wonder how many people take such approaches without the minimal diligence to go to something like the TLS forums and ask. Anyways, original poster, go to amazon and type in law school admissions and buy one of the books on the process while you also start prepping for the LSAT. If you are low income, some courses offer discounted or a free course depending on your situation. I remember blueprint was doing this a while back, for example. But I agree with what the others have said, don't go unless you know what you are getting into and definitely not to that school or it's equivalent.

josh43299

Postby josh43299 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:17 pm

dresden doll wrote:Wait, how is OP meant to get into med school with a degree in Criminology?

Pre med post bacc program + something to do with a house?

josh43299

Postby josh43299 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:29 pm

Can you even get a stafford loan and gradplus loan for an unaccredited law school? If yes... Ron Paul 2012.

Edit: The answer is no.

Return to “Law School FAQ”