Law school social life

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Mr. Pancakes

Re: Law school social life

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:58 pm

buy some gerbils.

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:12 pm

StarLightSpectre wrote:
Chucky21 wrote:Friends... I've heard of these before.

Friends.. they're like strangers you see everyday.

Law school isn't much different than college when it comes to friends. The only big difference is people tend to be more mature and you have less free time to hang out.

Of course, if you don't have friends, THERE'S ALWAYS TLS!!! :P

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:29 am

apollo2015 wrote:
greenapple wrote:People say you meet your best friends in college. So far, that hasn't happened for me, due to various reasons. I am currently a sophomore and am still working on my social life here, and hope that it will start blossoming some time.

Join a Fraternity. Or a Sorority if you are a chick.

The alternative, if you have any athletic ability whatsoever, is to join a club sport.
Last edited by seatown12 on Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:46 am

kalvano wrote:A shared siege mentality sort of encourages close relationships.

Underappreciated post.

But FWIW, I feel like the friends I have made this 1L year are much better friendships than college. In my opinion a large part of that is because (at least for the people in your section) we take the same classes together and are with each other 6-8 hours a day, 5 days a week and then on the weekends. Study groups also help strengthen the bond. In college unless people lived in your dorm, you may have only saw them twice a week for an hour and a half and then on the weekends. Also, law schools tend to be a much, much smaller community so that helps maintain the constant contact. And to echo a point made earlier, going to school where the average age is 25 or 26 has a much different maturity level than 18-22.

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:08 am

GatorCTS wrote:Yea it sure did. i met some of my best friends in UG thru my fraternity sorority

ftfm

padawanphil

Postby padawanphil » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:10 am

Mr. Pancakes wrote:buy some gerbils.

lol

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:50 am

Lots of acquaintances, some friendships that will probably last through law school, probably no relationship that will blossom into anything more than a good networking contact after graduation.

But really, law school social life (like most things) is what you make out of it. If you want to make friends, be social, and have a good time, you'll find your niche.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:55 am

InGoodFaith wrote:
apollo2015 wrote:
greenapple wrote:People say you meet your best friends in college. So far, that hasn't happened for me, due to various reasons. I am currently a sophomore and am still working on my social life here, and hope that it will start blossoming some time.

"Yes, go out and buy yourself some friends!"

FWIW, I was in a fraternity and this joke got old fast.

I didn't buy my friends. I did collectively help buy some siiiick parties.

$14k for sophomore year formal alone. Good times.

josh43299

Postby josh43299 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:01 am

rad lulz wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
apollo2015 wrote:

"Yes, go out and buy yourself some friends!"

FWIW, I was in a fraternity and this joke got old fast.

I didn't buy my friends. I did collectively help buy some siiiick parties.

$14k for sophomore year formal alone. Good times.

:shock:

josh43299

Postby josh43299 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:25 am

apollo2015 wrote:

Not for everyone. However, these concerns give further credibility to the idea that many should enter the real world for a year or two before law school.

Postby 20160810 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:49 pm

5 years out of college, and I'm still in touch with maybe 3 of the guys from my fraternity, but they're all good friends.

TheGreatWhiteHorse

Postby TheGreatWhiteHorse » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:34 pm

I'm sorry...I just had to check this thread out when I saw "social life" and "law school" used within 2340945 sentences of each other.

But seriously, I find that a lot of the people I met in law school are/were kind of socially awkward. Either that, or they are all fine and I am cripplingly awkward. It is probably the latter.

Who said something about a siege mentality? Yes. That.

And the post above me, about the real world? That is entirely accurate. I think that is why older students and those trying for a 2nd career have a hard time relating to many of their law school companions (and yes, I am one of those). Law school is an insular bizarro world. It is nothing like the real, adult, non-college, non-parents footing the majority of our bills world. Many law school students do not have that experience yet. You will find that employers value real-world work experience highly...sometimes over grades...because of the skills it implies that one has developed.

Carly

Postby Carly » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:26 am

Gail wrote:somebody tell roth that i don't love college

This chiddy bang line forced me to create an account. Thank you.

LawSuccess

Postby LawSuccess » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:31 am

As a sophomore, I'd encourage you to not give up on the prospect of making friends at your undergrad institution. I made my best friends Senior year in college. You should look at each organization/company/opportunity/etc. you become affiliated with as a potential place to make new friends. You only need a handful of good friends anyway, so the more you open yourself up, the more a few will stick, and you will be set.

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:02 pm

LawSuccess wrote:As a sophomore, I'd encourage you to not give up on the prospect of making friends at your undergrad institution. I made my best friends Senior year in college. You should look at each organization/company/opportunity/etc. you become affiliated with as a potential place to make new friends. You only need a handful of good friends anyway, so the more you open yourself up, the more a few will stick, and you will be set.

Friends are like girlfriends: The lower your standards, the more you'll have! :lol:

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:25 pm

greenapple wrote:.... I am currently a sophomore .... I plan on attending law schools such as NYU and Columbia, and going straight out of undergrad.

Lol wut? As a sophomore I doubt you have an LSAT score or the slightest idea of where your GPA will end up. How are you able to make this assessment?

I think the problem you're having is not so much that it's difficult to make friends in college but that you're just some sort of holier than thou douche that doesn't necessarily scream out "I'm the type of person you want to be your friend".

Holy fucking entitlement

abbottsbar

Postby abbottsbar » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:04 am

SBL wrote:5 years out of college, and I'm still in touch with maybe 3 of the guys from my fraternity, but they're all good friends.

I'm 10 years out of undergrad and I'm still really close with about 5-6 of my old fraternity brothers. FWIW, we have all been groomsmen/ushers in each others weddings.

OP, YMMV, but I'd second the suggestion that you should probably figure out what it is that is stopping you from making friends and see if it's correctable. Coming from Old Man River over here, college is the last time that you'll have a shit ton of free time to just hang out with your friends. Basically, stop stressing out about what may happen in a couple of years and go have some fun.

TheGreatWhiteHorse

Postby TheGreatWhiteHorse » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:39 am

JoeMo wrote:
greenapple wrote:.... I am currently a sophomore .... I plan on attending law schools such as NYU and Columbia, and going straight out of undergrad.

Lol wut? As a sophomore I doubt you have an LSAT score or the slightest idea of where your GPA will end up. How are you able to make this assessment?

I think the problem you're having is not so much that it's difficult to make friends in college but that you're just some sort of holier than thou douche that doesn't necessarily scream out "I'm the type of person you want to be your friend".

Holy fucking entitlement

Haw!

gin

Postby gin » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:51 am

AriGoldButNicer wrote:Also, op once u hit law school people are going to be a bit more mature. In college and high school it's so much about status, and u have people in 1 frat who aren't allowed to be nixe to people in an opposing frat, people assess whether you're cool enough to hurt/help their status, etc. I think once u hit 22-23, most people start to chill out a bit, and hang out with people they like.

This did not get enough attention. I hate to break it to you but law school is high school 2.0

Also, OP, the fact that you are posting here as a sophomore when you still have at least 2 more years of UG should give you a clue as to why you don't have many friends. Food for though

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:54 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
kalvano wrote:A shared siege mentality sort of encourages close relationships.

Underappreciated post.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:03 am

TheGreatWhiteHorse

Postby TheGreatWhiteHorse » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:29 pm

gin wrote:
AriGoldButNicer wrote:Also, op once u hit law school people are going to be a bit more mature. In college and high school it's so much about status, and u have people in 1 frat who aren't allowed to be nixe to people in an opposing frat, people assess whether you're cool enough to hurt/help their status, etc. I think once u hit 22-23, most people start to chill out a bit, and hang out with people they like.

This did not get enough attention. I hate to break it to you but law school is high school 2.0

This is, without question, da truth.

Gail

Postby Gail » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:36 pm

greenapple wrote:People say you meet your best friends in college. So far, that hasn't happened for me, due to various reasons. I am currently a sophomore and am still working on my social life here, and hope that it will start blossoming some time. With that said, I was wondering if it is as easy to make really good friends in law school? I plan on attending law schools such as NYU and Columbia, and going straight out of undergrad.

They say college is the time of your life... how does law school life compare?

Don't feel bad. Not everyone meets a BFF in college. All of my best friends are from high school, I'm way more nostalgic for high school than I think I'll ever be for college. I've met some cool friends in college, but for the most part it seemed like a tremendous waste of time now too.

What do you like to do? Find a hobby, however unorthodox, and pursue it. Almost none of my friends are in college. It's about being in an element that you like and feel comfortable with. That's way more enriching than house parties and sorority/fraternity parades of alcoholism.

I say the same applies to law school. Maybe you'll be that social butterfly, but maybe you won't. Does it matter though? Do what you like and take it with you wherever you go.

reformed calvinist

Postby reformed calvinist » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:09 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:buy some gerbils.

feel bad necroing, but i had to Image

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:19 pm

Oh for fuck's sake keep your bad jokes to yourself.

Return to “Law School FAQ”