Law school social life

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
greenapple

Law school social life

Postby greenapple » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:54 pm

People say you meet your best friends in college. So far, that hasn't happened for me, due to various reasons. I am currently a sophomore and am still working on my social life here, and hope that it will start blossoming some time. With that said, I was wondering if it is as easy to make really good friends in law school? I plan on attending law schools such as NYU and Columbia, and going straight out of undergrad.

They say college is the time of your life... how does law school life compare?

mattviphky

Re: Law school social life

Postby mattviphky » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:58 pm

greenapple wrote:People say you meet your best friends in college. So far, that hasn't happened for me, due to various reasons. I am currently a sophomore and am still working on my social life here, and hope that it will start blossoming some time. With that said, I was wondering if it is as easy to make really good friends in law school? I plan on attending law schools such as NYU and Columbia, and going straight out of undergrad.

i've never heard that. also, i met my best friends in high school, and after college. I would actually say that outside of facebook, i don't talk to any friend from college.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:59 pm

A shared siege mentality sort of encourages close relationships.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:00 am

mattviphky wrote:
greenapple wrote:People say you meet your best friends in college. So far, that hasn't happened for me, due to various reasons. I am currently a sophomore and am still working on my social life here, and hope that it will start blossoming some time. With that said, I was wondering if it is as easy to make really good friends in law school? I plan on attending law schools such as NYU and Columbia, and going straight out of undergrad.

i've never heard that. also, i met my best friends in high school, and after college. I would actually say that outside of facebook, i don't talk to any friend from college.

You may want to check out the forever alone thread. Just kidding, but for real don't sweat it. Everybody moves separate ways after college anyways, I'm sure you'll make some good friends, and contacts, you'll keep up with in law school

fanmingrui

Postby fanmingrui » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:01 am

Imagine all the wildly insecure, type-A kids from college in one place, together all the time, desperately seeking validation... It's kinda like that. Hth.

AriGoldButNicer

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:07 am

I've only been to ASW's, but I naturally "click" with a lot of law students, and many feel the same. You meet people around your age with moderately similar goals, interests and even IQ levels so the odds are just gonna be higher than random people at the gym or bar. I actually feel it's a rare opportunity to make friends who care only about your friendship. Professionally, so much of it is about what you can do for the other person.

AriGoldButNicer

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:10 am

Also, op once u hit law school people are going to be a bit more mature. In college and high school it's so much about status, and u have people in 1 frat who aren't allowed to be nixe to people in an opposing frat, people assess whether you're cool enough to hurt/help their status, etc. I think once u hit 22-23, most people start to chill out a bit, and hang out with people they like.

GatorCTS

Postby GatorCTS » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:45 pm

AriGoldButNicer wrote:Also, op once u hit law school people are going to be a bit more mature. In college and high school it's so much about status, and u have people in 1 frat who aren't allowed to be nixe to people in an opposing frat, people assess whether you're cool enough to hurt/help their status, etc. I think once u hit 22-23, most people start to chill out a bit, and hang out with people they like.

I would def agree with your last sentence. But to the OP's point I have met some of my best friends in college and coincidentally, a lot of them are from my hometown but went to other schools. I expect that when I start law school in the fall that I will meet some more great friends. So don't sweat it. You're only a sophomore in UG. My freshman year of UG was a huge awakening to how cliquey people can be. That shit doesn't usually fly once people mature past UG and head into the real world or grad school.

reformed calvinist

Postby reformed calvinist » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:03 pm

I made some good friends in college, and had a lot of fun-but time of your life? Why do "they" have such low standards. Reminds me of some of my fraternity alumni-I'd hate to peak so early.

Just chillax. You still have time in college, and even if you didn't, you have not missed the "friend train." I know, coming out of 18 years of consecutive school, you're used to making friends that way, but I can assure you that you will be fine. Unless you're a douche.

Gail

Postby Gail » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:36 pm

somebody tell roth that i don't love college

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:46 pm

If you can't make friends in college you won't make any in law school.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:56 am

Gail wrote:somebody tell roth that i don't love college

This will be stuck in my head all night, and I am okay with it. Thanks.

To OP, don't sweat it. Be normal, and you'll keep making friends.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:10 am

Undergrad friends are kinda awkward. Some of them stay good friends, but some only know that guy you were trying to be freshmen year before you grew up and became a person. Back when you were going to save the world with like, plants, or something.

So far, law school friends seem more long term. You spend too much time together to really put on much facade. Everyone is exhausted together.

LSATNightmares

Postby LSATNightmares » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:29 am

It depends. Some people do make lasting friends it seems. Others don't. I feel like I'm going to be in the latter category, as studying keeps me from socializing with people and I'm married and live far from campus. I definitely miss the days in undergrad when I would hang out friends in the dorms, discussing stuff late into the night and bonding over it.

People go to law school at very different point in their lives. Some will be long-term residents of the city, so they will already have close friends. Others will be newcomers and more interested in meeting new people. It all depends.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:53 am

this sums it up pretty well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y05HnXomG88

Chucky21

Postby Chucky21 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:30 pm

Friends... I've heard of these before.

StarLightSpectre

Postby StarLightSpectre » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:42 pm

Chucky21 wrote:Friends... I've heard of these before.

Friends.. they're like strangers you see everyday.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:38 am

I'd figure out/work on why you aren't making friends now. It's pretty much the same dynamic in law school.

MTBike

Postby MTBike » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:54 am

shock259 wrote:I'd figure out/work on why you aren't making friends now. It's pretty much the same dynamic in law school.

Thats probably an excellent point.

denvieboco

Postby denvieboco » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:03 am

You still have two years left of undergrad-- why not focus on making friends now? The people who I'm closest to now are ones who I became friends with junior and senior year; you have plenty of time to make strong connections. I'd recommend joining clubs that interest you-- that way you already have something in common with the people you're associating with.

MTBike

Postby MTBike » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:14 am

What has this thread become? Are we seriously giving advice to someone on how to make friends?

apollo2015

Postby apollo2015 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:43 pm

greenapple wrote:People say you meet your best friends in college. So far, that hasn't happened for me, due to various reasons. I am currently a sophomore and am still working on my social life here, and hope that it will start blossoming some time.

Join a Fraternity. Or a Sorority if you are a chick.

Postby 20130312 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:55 pm

apollo2015 wrote:
greenapple wrote:People say you meet your best friends in college. So far, that hasn't happened for me, due to various reasons. I am currently a sophomore and am still working on my social life here, and hope that it will start blossoming some time.

"Yes, go out and buy yourself some friends!"

FWIW, I was in a fraternity and this joke got old fast.

horrorbusiness

Postby horrorbusiness » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:32 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
apollo2015 wrote:

yeah it really does

GatorCTS

Postby GatorCTS » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:56 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
apollo2015 wrote:

yeah it really does

Yea it sure did. i met some of my best friends in UG thru my fraternity

Return to “Law School FAQ”