Is law right for me?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
xiaoh

Is law right for me?

Postby xiaoh » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:17 pm

This has been discussed many times and there are all kinds of articles throughout the Internet discussing this but every situation is different and I wanted to get the thoughts of folks here.

I am a 25yr old corporate (back office) financial analyst with 3 years of experience at Fortune 500 companies. I make decent money, $70k all-inclusive, but I find the job very intellectual dull. All I do everyday is generate an endless stream of reports. I have this helpless feeling that every passing day, I am getting more lazy and stupid. Money is good for my age, but the growth is somewhat capped. Probably will take another 5 years and at least a part time MBA to break $100k.

I have considered getting a MBA, but my current work experience would not get me into a top full time MBA program. Top part time MBA programs are easy to get into but they won’t allow for a career change so I would be stuck in corporate back office forever. The areas I would be interested in law would be securities, M&A, PE … typically practices associated with big law which I know is basically as hard to get into as iBanking.

The grim hiring prospects of fresh JDs along with the debt that would be incurred are quite frightening. Before I can commit time and energy to the LSAT, I am trying to convince myself I would really be interested in pursuing a law degree. Can anyone convince me?

dooood

Re: Is law right for me?

Postby dooood » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:30 pm

xiaoh wrote:This has been discussed many times and there are all kinds of articles throughout the Internet discussing this but every situation is different and I wanted to get the thoughts of folks here.

I am a 25yr old corporate (back office) financial analyst with 3 years of experience at Fortune 500 companies. I make decent money, $70k all-inclusive, but I find the job very intellectual dull. All I do everyday is generate an endless stream of reports. I have this helpless feeling that every passing day, I am getting more lazy and stupid. Money is good for my age, but the growth is somewhat capped. Probably will take another 5 years and at least a part time MBA to break $100k.

I have considered getting a MBA, but my current work experience would not get me into a top full time MBA program. Top part time MBA programs are easy to get into but they won’t allow for a career change so I would be stuck in corporate back office forever. The areas I would be interested in law would be securities, M&A, PE … typically practices associated with big law which I know is basically as hard to get into as iBanking.

The grim hiring prospects of fresh JDs along with the debt that would be incurred are quite frightening. Before I can commit time and energy to the LSAT, I am trying to convince myself I would really be interested in pursuing a law degree. Can anyone convince me?

Threshold Questions:
1) Do you have any interest in the law other than the possibility of making more money?
2) What is your undergrad GPA?
3) Do you realize that the bolded portion is a spot-on portrayal of the life of most lawyers?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:33 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaftAndDirect

Postby DaftAndDirect » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:37 pm

Your GPA would be helpful. If you can crush it on the GMAT, the back office work experience is still good enough to get in to a full time top 10 program.

edit: basically if you know you're going to be in it primarily for the money I think it makes more sense to go the b-school route. The law students I know are all in it for the money, but spend a lot of time trying to cover that up. At least w/ a business degree you can be "out" about your focus on money.

xiaoh

Postby xiaoh » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:46 pm

dooood wrote:Threshold Questions:
1) Do you have any interest in the law other than the possibility of making more money?
2) What is your undergrad GPA?
3) Do you realize that the bolded portion is a spot-on portrayal of the life of most lawyers?

1) I think law school would provide a challenge and be intellectually stimulating. Also it is suppose to provide good "tools" for most any career.
This is bad to say, but there is also a certain level of prestige associated with a law degree.
2) 3.5 (decent school but not great, top 50)
3) Yes, I have been a reader of this forum for a while on and off. I guess even if there is the grunt work, there is eventually light at the end of the tunnel right? In my current career, I really don't see the light. Basically back office corporate jobs are forever second class citizens. Revenue generators are king.

xiaoh

Postby xiaoh » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:49 pm

DaftAndDirect wrote:Your GPA would be helpful. If you can crush it on the GMAT, the back office work experience is still good enough to get in to a full time top 10 program.

edit: basically if you know you're going to be in it primarily for the money I think it makes more sense to go the b-school route. The law students I know are all in it for the money, but spend a lot of time trying to cover that up. At least w/ a business degree you can be "out" about your focus on money.

Unfortunately, from everything I have heard and read, the GMAT doesn't matter very much at all compared to the WE. Unlike law, it isn't so much a numbers game.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:12 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaftAndDirect

Postby DaftAndDirect » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:13 pm

xiaoh wrote:
DaftAndDirect wrote:Your GPA would be helpful. If you can crush it on the GMAT, the back office work experience is still good enough to get in to a full time top 10 program.

Unfortunately, from everything I have heard and read, the GMAT doesn't matter very much at all compared to the WE. Unlike law, it isn't so much a numbers game.

Right and I agree with that. I don't think you're going to get in to Booth, Wharton, Kellogg, Harvard etc. with only back office experience. But Michigan, Duke, Notre Dame, UCLA and UT are all options if you can knock out the GMAT.

But even assuming you're 100% right re: B-school admissions - I think going back to school for a Masters in Finance, or going back to get your CPA (and whatever accounting requirements you need) is a way better option than law school. You can use those credentials to have a better shot than you do now at that job that pays six figures, and you'll have acquired those credentials at a fraction of the cost (in terms of both time and money) of law school.

Return to “Law School FAQ”