Internship Experience Before Applying to Law School

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
wiseguy

Internship Experience Before Applying to Law School

Postby wiseguy » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:08 pm

Hey Guys,

I am a Business Student at a top public university and as apart of our curriculum it is recommended we complete at least two internships before graduating. Obviously these internships will be business related with some well known companies or some start ups in the area usually and I was wondering do Law Schools want to see the fact that you just gained the working experience regardless of the field or does a person who interned at a law office gets the upper hand?

rinkrat19

Re: Internship Experience Before Applying to Law School

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:10 pm

Neither really help all that much. Internships aren't considered real work experience by the few schools that care about such things (Northwestern, Harvard) and the rest of the schools don't care.

Gail

Postby Gail » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:44 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Neither really help all that much. Internships aren't considered real work experience by the few schools that care about such things (Northwestern, Harvard) and the rest of the schools don't care.

What about paid internships post graduation? Say a year's worth at a regular salary? Similar to a temporary position but the title is "intern"

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:48 pm

Gail wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Neither really help all that much. Internships aren't considered real work experience by the few schools that care about such things (Northwestern, Harvard) and the rest of the schools don't care.

What about paid internships post graduation? Say a year's worth at a regular salary? Similar to a temporary position but the title is "intern"
The title is a bit problematic, but if you can describe it on your resume or in your PS as more of a "real" job, then it'd probably be okay.

Gail

Postby Gail » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:49 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Gail wrote:

The title is a bit problematic, but if you can describe it on your resume or in your PS as more of a "real" job, then it'd probably be okay.

Or ask a supervisor if it would be alright to alter the title? With employer consent that doesn't sound unethical.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:50 pm

Gail wrote:

I had such a gig. Started out as a "we want you to help us out" and then turned into a "we know you're applying to grad. school so stick with us until then" type of opportunity. Solid company. After grad. school, I was hired with the same company, in a different economic climate (so not as stable as it was before) but the internship opportunity was as close to a full-time employee as you could get in terms of my working long hours, just no benefits. There's all types of internships and jobs that will count and be effective.

Whether the specific one involved will matter, I doubt it though. I think it will matter for the applicant more than the school.
Last edited by BearsGrl on Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:51 pm

Gail wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Gail wrote:

Or ask a supervisor if it would be alright to alter the title? With employer consent that doesn't sound unethical.

Agreed. The term "Fellow" is frequently used in Washington DC to denote someone who is unpaid, but has a set of responsibilities higher than that of an Intern.

Return to “Law School FAQ”