Florida Coastal: Who are these people?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Florida Coastal: Who are these people?

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:54 pm

433 graduates from 2010.
79.7% employed after nine months.
52% of those employed are in JD required jobs.
76.2% of those employed in JD required jobs working full time.
56% of total employed grads in private industry (rounding up).
36% of private industry grads reported salary.

27 out of 433 graduates hit their median reported private sector salary.

The median reported private sector salary was $46,500.

27 out of 433 is about 6%.

6% of their 433 graduates made $46,500 or more.
94% of their 433 graduates were either unemployed, or employed and made less than $46,500.

91.8% of students borrowed money to finance their legal education.
The average indebtedness was $134,355.00.
The school offers no LRAP program.

User avatar
moonman157
Posts: 1039
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:26 pm

Re: Florida Coastal: Who are these people?

Postby moonman157 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:56 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:433 graduates from 2010.
79.7% employed after nine months.
52% of those employed are in JD required jobs.
76.2% of those employed in JD required jobs working full time.
56% of total employed grads in private industry (rounding up).
36% of private industry grads reported salary.

27 out of 433 graduates hit their median reported private sector salary.

The median reported private sector salary was $46,500.

27 out of 433 is about 6%.

6% of their 433 graduates made $46,500 or more.
94% of their 433 graduates were either unemployed, or employed and made less than $46,500.

91.8% of students borrowed money to finance their legal education.
The average indebtedness was $134,355.00.
The school offers no LRAP program.


This is exactly why people tell you not to go to law school unless you go to an elite school or get crazy scholarship money from a regional school in the area where you want to work.

User avatar
splitbrain
Posts: 656
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:38 pm

Re: Florida Coastal: Who are these people?

Postby splitbrain » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:27 pm

That's a lot of people not doing their research and jumping in every year...

Scary.

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: Florida Coastal: Who are these people?

Postby kaiser » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:30 pm

This is what happens when you have a culture that perpetuates the myth of "lawyer = prestigious", and schools like this take this myth, and run with it all the way to the bank.

User avatar
splitbrain
Posts: 656
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:38 pm

Re: Florida Coastal: Who are these people?

Postby splitbrain » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:33 pm

kaiser wrote:This is what happens when you have a culture that perpetuates the myth of "lawyer = prestigious", and schools like this take this myth, and run with it all the way to the bank.

I mean, I really don't have a problem with there being different levels of prestige in the profession, but the market is just so screwed when people are paying the same price to go here as people at a T14.

bruss
Posts: 470
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 3:58 am

Re: Florida Coastal: Who are these people?

Postby bruss » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:35 pm

I wonder how the professors feel about those numbers.

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: Florida Coastal: Who are these people?

Postby kaiser » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:41 pm

splitbrain wrote:
kaiser wrote:This is what happens when you have a culture that perpetuates the myth of "lawyer = prestigious", and schools like this take this myth, and run with it all the way to the bank.

I mean, I really don't have a problem with there being different levels of prestige in the profession, but the market is just so screwed when people are paying the same price to go here as people at a T14.


Again, it all goes back to the myth that "lawyer = prestige". If kids truly buy into that myth, then a law degree is a law degree, since the end result is the same (i.e. that you will be a lawyer). So might as well pay the same price, since they think everyone will have the same end result.

When I hear a kid considering some awful school at full price, I typically use this analogy: You want to go to a restaurant for dinner, so you go to Zagat or Yelp to see reviews. You see two restaurants, both with very high prices, but one has sterling reviews, and the other can barely get a single star and everyone talks about how its not at all worth the price. Given those reviews, most rational people would never go there, and you wouldn't want to risk your $150 bucks on a meal that may very well be crappy (if the steady stream of poor reviews are any indication). Yet somehow the same kid is willing to risk $200,000 on a law school that charges 5 star prices but has 1 star reviews. Go figure.

User avatar
splitbrain
Posts: 656
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:38 pm

Re: Florida Coastal: Who are these people?

Postby splitbrain » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:44 pm

I like that analogy. It definitely seems that there is more emotion in the decision than logic (speaking from experience with a friend that chose a TTTT at sticker). I'd be interested to see how the overall drop in applicants this year is affecting individual schools like this.

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: Florida Coastal: Who are these people?

Postby kaiser » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:50 pm

splitbrain wrote:I like that analogy. It definitely seems that there is more emotion in the decision than logic (speaking from experience with a friend that chose a TTTT at sticker). I'd be interested to see how the overall drop in applicants this year is affecting individual schools like this.


Right. There are many additional factors that the analogy doesn't encompass:

-The fact that the student considering the 1-star restaurant doesn't exactly have the choice of going elsewhere, and taking his business to the 5-star restaurant. So you get the "well, it might not be wonderful, but its the best I've got" mentality

-The feeling that the student "needs" to go out for dinner (i.e. they are so set on eating out somewhere that they will even pick a crappy place). This sort of encompasses the feeling of many students who realize that they have useless undergrad degrees and that law school may be the only available route for them.

-The false advertising and claims. Of course the restaurants themselves tout their praises on their websites and in their advertising. Even the 1 star restaurants will puff themselves up to make you think they are good. But most people aren't fooled by that kind of puffery. Critiques of restaurants can only boil down to subjective opinions. But for law schools, we obviously have the US News rankings, and other manipulated and deceitful reporting schemes that put out what seem like cold hard data




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests