Am I Patent Bar Eligible?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
jediknight2424

Am I Patent Bar Eligible?

Postby jediknight2424 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:21 pm

I'm trying to figure out if I am patent bar eligible under Category B, Option 4. Does anyone familiar with the process see anywhere I might fall short in meeting the requirements?

Completed courses:

Chemistry 1 (4 cr. – AP)
Chemistry Lab (1 cr.-AP)
Chemistry 2 (4 cr.)
Organic chemistry I & II (8cr.)

Biology (8 cr. – AP)
Molecular Bio Research (3 cr.)
Parasitology (3 cr.)
Genetics (4 cr.)

Physics I & II (6 cr.)
Physics Lab I & II (2 cr.)

TLS_noobie

Re: Am I Patent Bar Eligible?

Postby TLS_noobie » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:45 am

bump

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:12 am

jediknight2424

Postby jediknight2424 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:18 am

Thanks for the link. I've checked out the requirements already. I guess what I'm really asking is:

1) Does the PTO accept AP credits that were accepted by my undergrad?

Section BVII requires C or higher grades (AP credits have no grades). BUT AP credits might fall under BXIII (titled "Other
Education")

2) Does the PTO accept either Genetics and Parasitology as biology classes?

I'm guessing they do, but no mention of either in the guide.

I want to be certain that I am patent-eligible before sending in the application + $250 fee.

clintone88

Postby clintone88 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:56 pm

I'm not sure if you have already considered this, but what was your major? You may technically be eligible (didn't look), but you most likely aren't employable for patent prosecution with the classes you listed. Most firms look for engineering/computer science, or bio/chem advanced degrees. Not people who barely took enough chem/bio to take the patent bar. This should be something you strongly consider before spending time/money the patent bar in my opinion.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:43 pm

jediknight2424 wrote:Thanks for the link. I've checked out the requirements already. I guess what I'm really asking is:

1) Does the PTO accept AP credits that were accepted by my undergrad?

Section BVII requires C or higher grades (AP credits have no grades). BUT AP credits might fall under BXIII (titled "Other
Education")

2) Does the PTO accept either Genetics and Parasitology as biology classes?

I'm guessing they do, but no mention of either in the guide.

I want to be certain that I am patent-eligible before sending in the application + $250 fee.

1) Yes, I think under B, xiii, a., these classes should qualify since you got college-level credit for them (assuming they're in a Category A subject).
2) I don't see why these wouldn't qualify for bio. They certainly don't seem to fall under the type of pseudo-science courses listed under non-acceptable course work in B, xi.

Make sure you have everything sequenced as listed under the category B Options (if applicable), and I think you should be fine qualifying these courses as far as I can tell reading the guide. The caveat being that I didn't have to establish eligibility under category B so I don't have direct experience with this, but unless somebody posts who had to qualify using the same exact courses, you might just have to rely on the instructions and hope everything checks out.

jediknight2424

Postby jediknight2424 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:37 pm

Drdolittle--- Thanks for the help!

Clintone--- Yeah, I'm still figuring out whether I should take it. I graduated with a liberal arts degree with a minor in biology. I'm not too worried about the cost or time burden-- I only have a volunteer commitment (no work or school) up until I start at UVA in the fall. I don't intend to pursue patent prosecution but I thought the credential might give me a boost at OCI. I'm still looking into it-- if anyone else has an opinion, let me know!

Return to “Law School FAQ”