What Schools to Go to for Biglaw? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
echamberlin8

Bronze

What Schools to Go to for Biglaw?

Post by echamberlin8 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:48 am

I put this thread in another forum, but figured it's probably better off here.

My goal is to get into a big law firm in NYC. I haven't taken the LSAT yet. Planning to in June, and if I don't get a 170, doing it again in October. My GPA is a 3.73. I graduated in '09, and have worked at a government contracting company, and now work at a big DC law firm.

I'm aware that Columbia and NYU are my two best options for getting into NYC big law. That is why my goal is at least a 170 on the LSAT. If I don't get into those, I know Cornell is another option. And possibly University of Pennsylvania. Are there any other good options outside of T6 for NYC big law other than Cornell and UPenn? Does Fordham offer a good shot at NYC biglaw?

Some people say that all of the T14s provide a good shot at biglaw, but others say that it's only in their regions.

Is it true that it's easier to get into biglaw in NYC than in other cities, since there are so many positions available?

justinp

Bronze

Re: What Schools to Go to for Biglaw?

Post by justinp » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:18 am

Most T14 schools will give you a good shot at NY. NYU and Columbia place more people into NY than other schools do, but that seems more self-selection than anything else. You can go to NY from other schools, and you can go other places from NYU/CLS.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:09 pm

You do realize that almost all of these questions were answered in your previous thread, right?

If 25-30% is a "good shot", then Fordham offers a good shot. I personally don't think that's a very good shot.

TMC116

Bronze

Post by TMC116 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:26 pm

In NY? NYU, Columbia, Cornell, UPenn

Chicago? U. Chicago, NU

DC? Good luck.

(That's obviously overly simplified)

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:29 pm

All the T14's place well into NYC biglaw.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

echamberlin8

Bronze

Post by echamberlin8 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:26 pm

Bronck wrote:You do realize that almost all of these questions were answered in your previous thread, right?

If 25-30% is a "good shot", then Fordham offers a good shot. I personally don't think that's a very good shot.
What is with people being randomly hostile on these forums? I don't get that.

Anyways, thanks for your answers, guys. It was about as I suspected, but it doesn't hurt to ask (although some people seem to think it does hurt to ask, judging from certain posters on this site).

It's good that I don't want to stay in the DC area any longer, because it does seem to be hard to break into the market here.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:01 pm

Take the LSAT, then worry about which schools give you the best shot

dkb17xzx

Bronze

Post by dkb17xzx » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:10 pm

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... slreturn=1

This should give you some indication of schools that place in biglaw

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:14 pm

echamberlin8 wrote:

It's probably because you already asked this same exact question in another thread like two days ago.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

echamberlin8

Bronze

Post by echamberlin8 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:04 pm

dkb17xzx wrote:http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... slreturn=1

Thank you!

And yes, Ludovico (nice Clockwork reference there...one of my favorite movies), I'm aware I posted a near-identical thread in another forum yesterday (I believe it was), but I was informed that it was basically in the wrong forum, so I figured I would move it to a more appropriate venue. I got several answers, but, being new to the world of law schools, I wasn't sure if that was all of the possible feedback I could have gotten, and since that thread was locked, I figured I would post a similar version in the Law School FAQ. I'm sorry if this bothers people.

And yes, I'm aware that speculation is rather pointless until I get my LSAT scores back, but I also see research as being a relatively harmless thing for me to do while I wait until the next LSAT test date in June. I'm sorry if I come across as presumptuous, since I assure you I am anything but, but I just wanted to learn some new information, since I have become pretty fascinated with the topic of potential law schools as of late, mostly due to these very forums.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:28 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:
echamberlin8 wrote:

It's probably because you already asked this same exact question in another thread like two days ago.
Also because this topic has been killed to death.

Do some very minimal research (e.g., search something like "best schools for biglaw"): http://www.top-law-schools.com/search-f ... x=0&sa.y=0 and you can quickly retrieve your answer.

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:50 pm

echamberlin8 wrote:

Thank you!

And yes, Ludovico (nice Clockwork reference there...one of my favorite movies), I'm aware I posted a near-identical thread in another forum yesterday (I believe it was), but I was informed that it was basically in the wrong forum, so I figured I would move it to a more appropriate venue. I got several answers, but, being new to the world of law schools, I wasn't sure if that was all of the possible feedback I could have gotten, and since that thread was locked, I figured I would post a similar version in the Law School FAQ. I'm sorry if this bothers people.

And yes, I'm aware that speculation is rather pointless until I get my LSAT scores back, but I also see research as being a relatively harmless thing for me to do while I wait until the next LSAT test date in June. I'm sorry if I come across as presumptuous, since I assure you I am anything but, but I just wanted to learn some new information, since I have become pretty fascinated with the topic of potential law schools as of late, mostly due to these very forums.
The list in this thread is more accurate than the "Go-to Law Schools" ranking: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &start=675

It helps correct for self-selection by including Art III clerkship percentages (since these people generally would have been competitive for biglaw).

echamberlin8

Bronze

Post by echamberlin8 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:57 pm

concurrent fork wrote:
echamberlin8 wrote:

Thank you!

The list in this thread is more accurate than the "Go-to Law Schools" ranking: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &start=675

It helps correct for self-selection by including Art III clerkship percentages (since these people generally would have been competitive for biglaw).
Thanks for the link! I shall research it more in-depth later. It's been a very busy week at the firm. One thing that working as a paralegal here at a big law firm does prepare me for is the long hours. I've been doing a lot of 12-hour days recently.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”