Recently graduated UG, currently working full time Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Tarheel1234

New

Recently graduated UG, currently working full time

Post by Tarheel1234 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:00 am

I am a prospective law applicant.
How difficult is it to get a good legal job after graduating from a T14 school?
The trend I am hearing on here is only go to law school if it's T14, yet I have read things on TLS that even then some graduates at T14 schools are finding it difficult to land a decent, legal, well-paying job. Has it always been difficult in landing a job after graduating from a T14 law school, or is this just a recent phenomenon due to the current economic climate?
I have always assumed (perhaps wrongly) that a degree from a T14 school can do wonders in terms of job prospects- but I guess this is no longer the case? If I am unable to get accepted into a T14 school but am accepted in a top 25 or 30, is it still worth it to attend in today's legal market?
Is it a reality of graduating from a t14 school and having only terrible job prospects available? What do you do then?
Lastly, what are the realistic chances of someone who graduates below median at a T14? Or a top 30?

I'm going to be blunt- I don't really know where I want to work nor what type of law I want to focus on. All I know is that I always wanted to attend graduate school, but first I wanted to get work experience after undergrad. Law school seems appealing because I want to be in the company of smart and ambitious people, and the field of law sounds pretty interesting as well. My only hesitancy is the legal market, which I have heard is the worst it has ever been, and I don't really want to jump into a profession where the market is currently terrible.

I just want to be well informed about what is going on before I follow through with the law school process. I recently graduated from a top public school with above a 3.75, but have not taken the LSAT yet. I am currently working full time making a little above 30K, putting to use my otherwise useless liberal arts degree. If law is not in my future, maybe I'll take prereqs while working and go to Pharmacy School. Am I crazy?

Please designate what year you are in school. Thanks for all and any advice!

Odd Future Wolf Gang

Gold

Re: Recently graduated UG, currently working full time

Post by Odd Future Wolf Gang » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:35 am

Tarheel1234 wrote:All I know is that I always wanted to attend graduate school. Law school seems appealing because I want to be in the company of smart and ambitious people, and the field of law sounds pretty interesting as well.
This is a terrible reason to blow 200k+ and potentially waste three years of your life bro. Most smart and ambitious people don't go to law school. It's mostly just polisci shitheads, humanities majors, and other useless UG degree holders who couldn't think of anything else to do in life.

And pharmacy school isn't exactly a great option either. More and more pharmacy schools are opening up and it's becoming saturated as fuck (google pharmacy school scam). When pharmacy schools say that there are great demands for pharmacists, it's true but somewhat misleading. The Northeast, West coast, and Mid-atlantic regions (i.e., CIVILIZATION) are SATURATED AS FUCK with pharmacists, and it is extremely difficult to find a job in these areas. But there is a very high demand for pharmacists in East Bumblefuck, North Dakota or Shittown, Oklahoma. You get the idea. So unless you're open to living in very rural and remote parts of ARE country, you will have a very difficult time landing a pharmacy job. And besides, do you really want to count pills for a living?

(Source: My sister is a pharmacist).

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:54 am

Odd Future Wolf Gang wrote:
This is a terrible reason to blow 200k+ and potentially waste three years of your life bro. Most smart and ambitious people don't go to law school. It's mostly just polisci shitheads, humanities majors, and other useless UG degree holders who couldn't think of anything else to do in life.

Yeah. Because all the really intelligent ones went to B-School or joined the carpentry union. :roll:

Odd Future Wolf Gang

Gold

Post by Odd Future Wolf Gang » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:05 am

Gail wrote:
Odd Future Wolf Gang wrote:

Yeah. Because all the really intelligent ones went to B-School or joined the carpentry union. :roll:
Gail, you tso mad.

rinehart27

New

Post by rinehart27 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:02 am

Say what you want about pharmacy school being a scam, but my gf is in pharmacy school and if you graduate and pass the naplex, you have a six figure job. Granted you have to be okay working retail, but still. If I could go back, id do pharmacy.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:44 am

rinehart27 wrote:Say what you want about pharmacy school being a scam, but my gf is in pharmacy school and if you graduate and pass the naplex, you have a six figure job. Granted you have to be okay working retail, but still. If I could go back, id do pharmacy.
My brother, who is a surgeon with a PhD, says if he could go back, he'd become a plumber.
Personally, I'd become an electrician - my neighbour installs phone lines for verizon and makes around 6 figures
Nobody told me that in high school (that's what I get for being smart)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”