deposit deadlines and waitlist school?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
RunwayRed

deposit deadlines and waitlist school?

Postby RunwayRed » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:06 pm

hi guys,

So I was wondering about what to do if one paid seat deposit to one school and later got accepted from the waitlist of another school? Can you still accept the admission from the second school?

Also, if one paid seat deposit at school A, and later wanted to go to school B because school B awarded a generous scholarship that was not offered initially, is that acceptable?

Some law schools are really screwing with us by setting the deposit deadline to Apr 1st...

rinkrat19

Re: deposit deadlines and waitlist school?

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:09 pm

I think a few schools have seat deposits that are binding, but otherwise, it's fairly common to put down deposits (sometimes multiple) to buy more time.

citygirl000

Postby citygirl000 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:14 pm

you pay deposit at school A, school B accepts you from their wait list and if you're lucky enough school A's deposit was refundable or at least partially refundable. If it was nonrefundable, then you have to just eat the cost.

RunwayRed

Postby RunwayRed » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:18 pm

citygirl000 wrote:you pay deposit at school A, school B accepts you from their wait list and if you're lucky enough school A's deposit was refundable or at least partially refundable. If it was nonrefundable, then you have to just eat the cost.

yeah that is understandable and I certainly don't expect to get it back. If I do, then that is a bonus.

It is just that I read the old threads and some schools' deposits are binding, which means if you submit multiple deposits they could revoke your admission and (possibly?) prevent you from enrolling in any other school during that cycle.

RunwayRed

Postby RunwayRed » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:20 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I think a few schools have seat deposits that are binding, but otherwise, it's fairly common to put down deposits (sometimes multiple) to buy more time.

thank you

Return to “Law School FAQ”