0L worried that I will become a gunner :( Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Addy

New

Re: 0L worried that I will become a gunner :(

Post by Addy » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:54 pm

blowhard wrote:
Addy wrote:I shied away from gunning (minimal class participation unless called upon). Turns out, this could be detrimental. Even for an SA position BigLaw firms expect an LOR from one of your law professors (this came as a bit of an unwelcomed surprise). Unlike UG where classes were small (dozen or so), it was easy not to be faceless, LS provides a different challenge given the larger class sizes. Keeping your hand down might not work to your advantage.

You don't build a relationship with a prof in class. You build it in office hours or working on a research project. Typically, your LRW professor writes your LOR and since these are smaller classes that prof will know you and your work much better.

Agreed. Especially in UG (as U noted, working on projects and class participation). While the LRW prof is a great place to start, securing that second and third LOR could be very beneficial. If I do not secure a 1L law firm SA, I suppose a LOR from a judge (via internship) would suffice for the next go around.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:53 am

Addy wrote:
blowhard wrote:
Addy wrote:I shied away from gunning (minimal class participation unless called upon). Turns out, this could be detrimental. Even for an SA position BigLaw firms expect an LOR from one of your law professors (this came as a bit of an unwelcomed surprise). Unlike UG where classes were small (dozen or so), it was easy not to be faceless, LS provides a different challenge given the larger class sizes. Keeping your hand down might not work to your advantage.

You don't build a relationship with a prof in class. You build it in office hours or working on a research project. Typically, your LRW professor writes your LOR and since these are smaller classes that prof will know you and your work much better.

Agreed. Especially in UG (as U noted, working on projects and class participation). While the LRW prof is a great place to start, securing that second and third LOR could be very beneficial. If I do not secure a 1L law firm SA, I suppose a LOR from a judge (via internship) would suffice for the next go around.

Most judges won't write LORs for interns because of their ethical rules. A few will, but primarily it'll be a clerk writing it.

Advice Dog

New

Post by Advice Dog » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:29 am

Dearest OP,

Try raising your hand to change hypos after they've been answered. For instance, the class will appreciate when you ask "well what if we took that previous hypo but it happened in 1963 on Mars?"

Yours, etc,

Advice Dog

vpintz

Silver

Post by vpintz » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:42 am

Advice Dog wrote:Dearest OP,

Try raising your hand to change hypos after they've been answered. For instance, the class will appreciate when you ask "well what if we took that previous hypo but it happened in 1963 on Mars?"

Yours, etc,

Advice Dog
Good god, I love you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”