Law Schools With Scholarships for Volunteers?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Bashy

Re: Law Schools With Scholarships for Volunteers?

Postby Bashy » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:40 am

If you want to be rewarded for your "truly outstanding record" of volunteerism, your best bet is probably a school that has a strong PI interest.

However, the tried and true method of getting a full ride is to dedicate your UG time to getting the highest GPA and LSAT possible. Just because you built a few homes in Guatemala doesn't guarantee you some hidden scholarship for paragons of community service.

lawhaus

Postby lawhaus » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:52 pm

many applicants, including myself, have done a substantial amount of volunteer/community participation/activism hours. these "soft" factors are, i am wildly assuming, standard in almost all law school applications.

also, based on my current cycle, (LSAT + GPA + Personal Statement) are the main considerations are the for scholarship offers.

ALTHOUGH, i recall Rutgers (the higher ranking one) has an extensive application that ask about your participation in the activities that you wished to be considered highly. try looking into their application.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:06 pm

You answered your own question. Yes, there are scholarships specifically for those with a history of substantial volunteer work, but those scholarships are meant to help out people who intend to continue in the field of public interest.

Randomnumbers

Postby Randomnumbers » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:59 pm

I'm not sure why people would want to give scholarships to students for public interest who aren't planning on doing public interest work, given the large amount of students who do have a ton of public interest work in their background and want to consider doing so.

I know of http://law.wustl.edu/webstersociety/pages.aspx?id=8391 - but I'm not sure if they require public interest work afterwards or not. I do know that it is relatively competitive though.

Return to “Law School FAQ”