LOCI prior to Decision? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
benburns214

Bronze

LOCI prior to Decision?

Post by benburns214 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:05 pm

Is sending a LOCI to a school while im still in review considered a good thing? Or is it typical to send a LOCI after you have been waitlisted or held...

My guess is it is probably more typical to send one after being waitlisted or held, but would sending one prior to that be frowned upon by the Adcom? Or considered a sign of sincere interest in the school.

Platinum

Re: LOCI prior to Decision?

Post by 2014 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:47 pm

Do you have anything relevant to update them with other than "plz accept I luv u"?

freaknroll

Bronze

Post by freaknroll » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:14 pm

I recently got a big promotion at work and wove that into a loci which i've sent to 2 schools. Haven't heard back from either.

benburns214

Bronze

Post by benburns214 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:48 pm

2014 wrote:Do you have anything relevant to update them with other than "plz accept I luv u"?
You see thats the thing.... No I dont. I have been taking a year off while interning at a law firm, so im pretty much doing the same thing as when I applied and dont have any new information for them considering my internship is already on my resume.

I had just thought that maybe sending in a LOCI to show that I am sincerely interested in their school, and they are still my #1 choice despite being accepted to peer schools, couldn't hurt, but maybe i'm wrong. In my opinion, it would show eagerness and genuine interest, but maybe thats not what adcomms would perceive it as.

piscola

New

Post by piscola » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:53 am

benburns214 wrote:
2014 wrote:Do you have anything relevant to update them with other than "plz accept I luv u"?
You see thats the thing.... No I dont. I have been taking a year off while interning at a law firm, so im pretty much doing the same thing as when I applied and dont have any new information for them considering my internship is already on my resume.

I had just thought that maybe sending in a LOCI to show that I am sincerely interested in their school, and they are still my #1 choice despite being accepted to peer schools, couldn't hurt, but maybe i'm wrong. In my opinion, it would show eagerness and genuine interest, but maybe thats not what adcomms would perceive it as.
I would be curious to know thoughts on this as well... in a similar predicament (though I have a february LSAT score coming back in two weeks, so I will probably have to force myself to wait for that either way).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LockBox

Bronze

Post by LockBox » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:52 am

Not to hijack the thread but does anyone have any thoughts on sending an addition LOR? I have two academic LOR's and I think I could have a strong professional LOR (I've been working >5 years) written. Would this be advisable if there isn't anything relevant to say otherwise?

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:49 am

An additional LOR is a decent reason to write a LOCI imo.

To the OP, if you really want to write one to express an increased level of interest that is probably fine but have a reason for that increased level of interest. If you originally wrote a Why X then make sure there isn't any overlap. It could also look bad in my opinion if your reason for increased interest is something that you should have seen before applying. If I were in your position (and I am at Michigan tbh) I would just be patient and write the LOCI if/when a WL comes.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”