Course load question

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
holley18

Course load question

Postby holley18 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:43 am

So far in my college career, I have a 3.655 GPA. In terms of hours, my first year I took 16 and 15 hours. My second year I took 13 hours, but I had to take a W for one class (I did pull a 3.76 however) and 15 hours in the spring (pulled a 3.87). My fall semester of 2011 I only took 12 hours because I entered college with many dual credit classes and could not get into the other classes I needed (4.0). This semester I am taking 15 credit hours, but am feeling unsure about a philosophy course. If I would need to take a W for it (I am merely speculating as we haven't even had our first exam), would law schools look unfavorably on my overall courseload or transcript if I keep my GPA where it is and score a 164+ on the LSAT? The course isn't in my major or minor and I took it because I thought I might enjoy it.

chiro

Re: Course load question

Postby chiro » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:46 am

Philosophy tends to be pretty easy and fun for most people.

I'd give it a shot. Like you said, you can always Withdrawl, but honestly I doubt you'll need to.

holley18

Postby holley18 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:02 am

Yes, but will law schools look at a potential W unfavorably or perhaps my course load?

chiro

Postby chiro » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:17 am

holley18 wrote:Yes, but will law schools look at a potential W unfavorably or perhaps my course load?

I saw another thread on this forum where that same question was asked, most people answered no to it. If you search the forum it should still be up.

kscott813

Postby kscott813 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:43 pm

I honestly don't think they care too much about drops. It really seems that your LSAT and GPA are >90% of what they care about, so a withdrawal probably doesn't matter much.

If you are a borderline candidate it might hurt you a little, but overall I would just focus on keeping the GPA up. If you have to drop a class to do that, no worries.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:51 pm

Two things:

1. You have to actually take the LSAT before you can speculate on your chances anywhere. If you're going to speculate before taking, you may as well say "What if I get a 180?"

2. Law schools don't care about your actual courseload. They don't even look at it. They look at your LSAC GPA, and your LSAT.

Keep your GPA as high as you can, taking classes like underwater basket weaving if you need to, and take (and do well on) the LSAT. These two things will get you into law school.

UzerName

Postby UzerName » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:55 am

holley18 wrote:Yes, but will law schools look at a potential W unfavorably or perhaps my course load?

They couldn't give a shit. Law schools are accepting people based on their GPA and LSAT, with everything else being a bonus. Never heard of anyone at my school who thought Harvard didn't accept them because of a random W. Well, T6 may look at it, but few are turning down a 3.8+, 175+ with some W.

Return to “Law School FAQ”