Should I work during law school?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Work during 1L?

Yes
9
16%
No
48
84%
 
Total votes: 57

User avatar
kekepania
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:19 am

Should I work during law school?

Postby kekepania » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:16 pm

Do students work during law school? The school that I may be attending has a strict policy of no more than 20 hours per week. I would love not to work, but it would be good to be making at least some money. Does it look better to have work experience during law school?
Last edited by kekepania on Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Should I work during law school?

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:18 pm

It's not your school that limits you to 20 hrs/week, it's the ABA.

benburns214
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:39 pm

Re: Should I work during law school?

Postby benburns214 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:19 pm

kekepania wrote:Do students work during law school? The school that I may be attending has a strict policy of no more than 20 hours per week. I would love not to work, but it would be good to be making at least some money. Does it look better to have work experience during law school?


Im pretty sure it is against ABA rules for law students to work during their first year of law school... and the 20 hour limit you are referring to, I believe, is relating to 2L and 3L.

Even if you are able... do not work. Live off of loans, it is what everyone does and you'll be glad you dedicated that extra time to studying.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Should I work during law school?

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:21 pm

benburns214 wrote:
kekepania wrote:Do students work during law school? The school that I may be attending has a strict policy of no more than 20 hours per week. I would love not to work, but it would be good to be making at least some money. Does it look better to have work experience during law school?


Im pretty sure it is against ABA rules for law students to work during their first year of law school... and the 20 hour limit you are referring to, I believe, is relating to 2L and 3L.

Even if you are able... do not work. Live off of loans, it is what everyone does and you'll be glad you dedicated that extra time to studying.
No, the ABA 20 hour rule applies to all full-time law students. Individual schools may have different rules.

benburns214
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:39 pm

Re: Should I work during law school?

Postby benburns214 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:24 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
benburns214 wrote:
kekepania wrote:Do students work during law school? The school that I may be attending has a strict policy of no more than 20 hours per week. I would love not to work, but it would be good to be making at least some money. Does it look better to have work experience during law school?


Im pretty sure it is against ABA rules for law students to work during their first year of law school... and the 20 hour limit you are referring to, I believe, is relating to 2L and 3L.

Even if you are able... do not work. Live off of loans, it is what everyone does and you'll be glad you dedicated that extra time to studying.
No, the ABA 20 hour rule applies to all full-time law students. Individual schools may have different rules.


Either way... the point is moot because you shouldn't be working. At least not during 1L

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Should I work during law school?

Postby cinephile » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:26 pm

I don't know about that. It probably depends how intense your workload is. Our first semester we only had 3 courses and I had more free time than I knew what to do with. It would've been easy to work then.

Maybe you should wait until you start school and see what the workload's like, then look into working.

benburns214
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:39 pm

Re: Should I work during law school?

Postby benburns214 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:31 pm

cinephile wrote:I don't know about that. It probably depends how intense your workload is. Our first semester we only had 3 courses and I had more free time than I knew what to do with. It would've been easy to work then.

Maybe you should wait until you start school and see what the workload's like, then look into working.


I'll say upfront that I am an ignorant 0L, however I do not believe that is the norm... were you PT? From what I've heard, and the attorneys I work for have told me, 1L is super tough and time consuming... hardest of the 3 years.

But I suppose if you are a superfreak and can juggle work with the most intense year of your life, then god speed.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Should I work during law school?

Postby cinephile » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:10 pm

benburns214 wrote:
cinephile wrote:I don't know about that. It probably depends how intense your workload is. Our first semester we only had 3 courses and I had more free time than I knew what to do with. It would've been easy to work then.

Maybe you should wait until you start school and see what the workload's like, then look into working.


I'll say upfront that I am an ignorant 0L, however I do not believe that is the norm... were you PT? From what I've heard, and the attorneys I work for have told me, 1L is super tough and time consuming... hardest of the 3 years.

But I suppose if you are a superfreak and can juggle work with the most intense year of your life, then god speed.


No, I'm full time, but my school likes to ease us into it first semester, then second semester is awful. But anyway, even though second semester's a lot more intense, I'm still interning twice a week on top of a full course-load. And it's really nice to have something productive to do outside of law school. I think I'd probably drop out if it weren't for this internship because law school is so dull and I need something else to stimulate me and give me motivation to continue with this program.

And I'm pretty sure it's not that hard to work over the next couple of years -- many 2Ls I know do have jobs outside of school, some even working 20hr/wk.

But yeah, you should see what the pace of your program is first before committing to working.

User avatar
kekepania
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:19 am

Re: Should I work during law school?

Postby kekepania » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:13 pm

cinephile wrote:
benburns214 wrote:
cinephile wrote:I don't know about that. It probably depends how intense your workload is. Our first semester we only had 3 courses and I had more free time than I knew what to do with. It would've been easy to work then.

Maybe you should wait until you start school and see what the workload's like, then look into working.


I'll say upfront that I am an ignorant 0L, however I do not believe that is the norm... were you PT? From what I've heard, and the attorneys I work for have told me, 1L is super tough and time consuming... hardest of the 3 years.

But I suppose if you are a superfreak and can juggle work with the most intense year of your life, then god speed.


No, I'm full time, but my school likes to ease us into it first semester, then second semester is awful. But anyway, even though second semester's a lot more intense, I'm still interning twice a week on top of a full course-load. And it's really nice to have something productive to do outside of law school. I think I'd probably drop out if it weren't for this internship because law school is so dull and I need something else to stimulate me and give me motivation to continue with this program.

And I'm pretty sure it's not that hard to work over the next couple of years -- many 2Ls I know do have jobs outside of school, some even working 20hr/wk.

But yeah, you should see what the pace of your program is first before committing to working.


Do students have law related jobs?

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Should I work during law school?

Postby cinephile » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:17 pm

kekepania wrote:

Do students have law related jobs?


I know students who are TAs, who are research assistants, some who continue working for whoever they worked for the previous summer . . . then people who do all sorts of regular student jobs.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Should I work during law school?

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:56 pm

OP: Sure, if the job is photocopying first year law school exam questions.

User avatar
kekepania
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:19 am

Re: Should I work during law school?

Postby kekepania » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:04 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:OP: Sure, if the job is photocopying first year law school exam questions.


So it won't look better to potential future employers to have work experience during law school?

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Should I work during law school?

Postby IAFG » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:05 pm

kekepania wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:OP: Sure, if the job is photocopying first year law school exam questions.


So it won't look better to potential future employers to have work experience during law school?

Nothing looks as good as great grades.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Should I work during law school?

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:49 pm

Summer work builds experience while exposing students to the practice of law. Work with a law professor during your first year if you have a particular area of expertise that will aid a prof's research. Otherwise devote full-time to law school coursework during your first year.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Should I work during law school?

Postby romothesavior » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:51 pm

Focus on school your 1L year. It is the most important academic year of your life. If you do well and think you can handle it, absolutely go get a part time job as a 2L. I worked PT as a 2L on top of moot court and LR. It is doable. But I highly recommend you focus as much on school as possible.

User avatar
puremorning
Posts: 426
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 5:03 pm

Re: Should I work during law school?

Postby puremorning » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:08 pm

I know the ABA's ban on working during your 1L year, but what about contract work? I currently work for our rape crisis center as a support specialist, which is basically a paid volunteer. I can trade shifts easily with the other specialists and all it entails is being on call. From time to time I have to go to a hospital or police station, but honestly, it's pretty rare, as we only have to do it if the actual volunteers can't. That being said, is this type of work still banned? If I stay in the city where I am now I definitely want to stay with them, but I'd hate for the ABA to delve into my history years from now and call me out on it.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Should I work during law school?

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:12 pm

puremorning wrote:I know the ABA's ban on working during your 1L year, but what about contract work? I currently work for our rape crisis center as a support specialist, which is basically a paid volunteer. I can trade shifts easily with the other specialists and all it entails is being on call. From time to time I have to go to a hospital or police station, but honestly, it's pretty rare, as we only have to do it if the actual volunteers can't. That being said, is this type of work still banned? If I stay in the city where I am now I definitely want to stay with them, but I'd hate for the ABA to delve into my history years from now and call me out on it.
THE ABA DOES NOT BAN 1Ls FROM WORKING.

All full-time law students are limited to 20 hours per week, according to ABA rules. This is actually a part of ABA accreditation requirements for schools. So your school could (theoretically) get in trouble if the ABA finds out that they let you work >20hrs/wk.

Some individual schools' rules may vary, but the ABA rule is the max allowed.

User avatar
puremorning
Posts: 426
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 5:03 pm

Re: Should I work during law school?

Postby puremorning » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:21 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
puremorning wrote:I know the ABA's ban on working during your 1L year, but what about contract work? I currently work for our rape crisis center as a support specialist, which is basically a paid volunteer. I can trade shifts easily with the other specialists and all it entails is being on call. From time to time I have to go to a hospital or police station, but honestly, it's pretty rare, as we only have to do it if the actual volunteers can't. That being said, is this type of work still banned? If I stay in the city where I am now I definitely want to stay with them, but I'd hate for the ABA to delve into my history years from now and call me out on it.
THE ABA DOES NOT BAN 1Ls FROM WORKING.

All full-time law students are limited to 20 hours per week, according to ABA rules. This is actually a part of ABA accreditation requirements for schools. So your school could (theoretically) get in trouble if the ABA finds out that they let you work >20hrs/wk.

Some individual schools' rules may vary, but the ABA rule is the max allowed.


Calm the fuck down! Sorry I was misinformed.

benburns214
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:39 pm

Re: Should I work during law school?

Postby benburns214 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:21 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
puremorning wrote:I know the ABA's ban on working during your 1L year, but what about contract work? I currently work for our rape crisis center as a support specialist, which is basically a paid volunteer. I can trade shifts easily with the other specialists and all it entails is being on call. From time to time I have to go to a hospital or police station, but honestly, it's pretty rare, as we only have to do it if the actual volunteers can't. That being said, is this type of work still banned? If I stay in the city where I am now I definitely want to stay with them, but I'd hate for the ABA to delve into my history years from now and call me out on it.
THE ABA DOES NOT BAN 1Ls FROM WORKING.

All full-time law students are limited to 20 hours per week, according to ABA rules. This is actually a part of ABA accreditation requirements for schools. So your school could (theoretically) get in trouble if the ABA finds out that they let you work >20hrs/wk.

Some individual schools' rules may vary, but the ABA rule is the max allowed.


Correct. There is no ACTUAL ban on working, merely an hour stipulation. HOWEVER, it is also strongly suggested that any 1L refrain from working... a recommendation directly from the ABA.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Should I work during law school?

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:21 pm

puremorning wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
puremorning wrote:I know the ABA's ban on working during your 1L year, but what about contract work? I currently work for our rape crisis center as a support specialist, which is basically a paid volunteer. I can trade shifts easily with the other specialists and all it entails is being on call. From time to time I have to go to a hospital or police station, but honestly, it's pretty rare, as we only have to do it if the actual volunteers can't. That being said, is this type of work still banned? If I stay in the city where I am now I definitely want to stay with them, but I'd hate for the ABA to delve into my history years from now and call me out on it.
THE ABA DOES NOT BAN 1Ls FROM WORKING.

All full-time law students are limited to 20 hours per week, according to ABA rules. This is actually a part of ABA accreditation requirements for schools. So your school could (theoretically) get in trouble if the ABA finds out that they let you work >20hrs/wk.

Some individual schools' rules may vary, but the ABA rule is the max allowed.


Calm the fuck down! Sorry I was misinformed.
Read the whole thread before adding misinformation to it. The 20 hour limit was already discussed.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests