so how important is 1L summer work xp?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Jah'rakal

so how important is 1L summer work xp?

Postby Jah'rakal » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:00 pm

does it matter a lot whether i go to a firm with many attorneys or just a few? what about a law office that has previously employed me?

kalvano

Re: so how important is 1L summer work xp?

Postby kalvano » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:09 pm

Doing something legal-related is important.

What it is usually doesn't matter much.

midwestls

Postby midwestls » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:07 pm

It depends if you want to do. If you want to get a summer associate position NLJ 250-type firm there are things that help you more than others, particularly federal court internships and/or in-house internships with large corporations.

Will a small firm job hurt you? Not IMO. How much it will help will depend on the work you do and whether that translates into good interview conversation.

Pure public interest stuff - public defender, etc. - can hurt you with firms, because it sends the message you're more do-gooder than firm lawyer.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:27 pm

midwestls wrote:It depends if you want to do. If you want to get a summer associate position NLJ 250-type firm there are things that help you more than others, particularly federal court internships and/or in-house internships with large corporations.

Will a small firm job hurt you? Not IMO. How much it will help will depend on the work you do and whether that translates into good interview conversation.

Pure public interest stuff - public defender, etc. - can hurt you with firms, because it sends the message you're more do-gooder than firm lawyer.

I don't really think this is true. It's all about how you spin it in the interview. Tons of people do 1L summer with PI or govt. Firms know it's basically your only chance to try PI or gov. I don't know anyone who was hurt by govt. or helped extra by doing an internship with a federal judge.

mazporrr

Postby mazporrr » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:07 pm

Your 1L internship experience is important, but only to a certain extent. Consider landing a legal job/internship that will allow you to create writing samples. Also, the internship should be promising enough so that you'll have "something to talk about" to prospective employers in the future. Lastly, find out if you'll get to conduct research and attend formal procedures (depositions, hearings, etc.) at either firm. These things look great on a 2L cover letter.

Return to “Law School FAQ”