Practicing in a different state than your school

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Ghostwriter574

Practicing in a different state than your school

Postby Ghostwriter574 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:37 pm

Hey everybody,
I'm new around here and have a question about post-law school. I am from Arizona, and would like to live and practice in Arizona for the foreseeable future. However, I have heard that you should pick a law school in the state or city that you wish to work in. I might not be able to get into University of Arizona or Arizona State University as my numbers seem to be near the cusp of rejection. I might have to go to a lower ranked law school to either get scholarships/accepted in the first place. While I have no problem moving states for 3 years during school, I would like to move back to Arizona immediately after I graduate if i could. How hard will this be for me? I only have 1 connection here in Arizona, my uncle is a lawyer here. Should I give up my hopes of living in Arizona and accept the fact that it's not a realistic option? Any answers are appreciated, thanks!

ph14

Re: Practicing in a different state than your school

Postby ph14 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:28 pm

Ghostwriter574 wrote:Hey everybody,
I'm new around here and have a question about post-law school. I am from Arizona, and would like to live and practice in Arizona for the foreseeable future. However, I have heard that you should pick a law school in the state or city that you wish to work in. I might not be able to get into University of Arizona or Arizona State University as my numbers seem to be near the cusp of rejection. I might have to go to a lower ranked law school to either get scholarships/accepted in the first place. While I have no problem moving states for 3 years during school, I would like to move back to Arizona immediately after I graduate if i could. How hard will this be for me? I only have 1 connection here in Arizona, my uncle is a lawyer here. Should I give up my hopes of living in Arizona and accept the fact that it's not a realistic option? Any answers are appreciated, thanks!

Are you open to the possibility of a retake? Your best bet is to up your LSAT score a few points and go to ASU or U of A.

mrtoren

Re: Practicing in a different state than your school

Postby mrtoren » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:29 am

Ghostwriter574 wrote:Hey everybody,

Two options:

1) Retake and reapply to U Arizona/Arizona State next cycle

2) Attend law school in another city/state and be content living there

You could follow option two and attempt to throw some resumes back to your home state or city as well. However, you need to be fully aware that you will probably not be able to make it back. If you do, it will likely be in a position that no decent U Arizona or Arizona State grad wanted.

Return to “Law School FAQ”