Religious Law Schools

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
puremorning

Re: Religious Law Schools

Postby puremorning » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:46 pm

2LT_CPG wrote:
LS-boundNYC wrote:I can't speak to ND's religious aspect (it was my top choice and they rejected me :( ), but I am at a Jesuit law school right now. Except for a little dust up last semester when people realized they couldn't get birth control through the health services, I'd have no idea it was affiliated with a religious group at all.

To be honest, I'm very religious, but I couldn't imagine going to a law school that over-emphasized religion. As a Christian, I'm interested personally in the roots of our legal system and the extent to which it does (and does not) spring from the Judeo-Christian thought present at the development of the common law. But I don't necessarily see how that translates into applying a "biblical view" in every class, like torts or contracts. I'm sure there's a connection, but my understanding is that the connection is central at places like Liberty and Regent. I'd rather learn the legal theory well and explore those connections on my own or through some group or activity on campus.

I think we're talking about the same university.

Also, I'm not sure what the situation is at ND, but at most Jesuit universities, the president is a Jesuit priest, and some of the faculty positions are reserved for Jesuits, mostly in theology, but also sometimes in the law school. I once had a Jesuit professor in my music history class. I took a theology course in comparative religion, and the professor was probably the most intelligent person I've ever met. He was a Jesuit priest, but his area of speciality was eastern religion - he spoke ancient Arabic, Aramaic, and whatever language the Bhagavad Gita is written in. It was impressive. He held the distinction of being the only known Catholic priest to have been to Mecca, which means he technically had converted to Islam when he was studying in Egypt. That's the kind of thing you get at Jesuit schools, which I love.

ND had that dust up a few years ago when it invited President Obama to speak at commencement. A ton of alums, students, and faculty were furious because the president is pro-choice. I feel like that's more illustrative of ND than say, Georgetown, because it has a much more conservative and openly religious student body, and the alumni network (and hence, board of trustees) reflects that.

But like others have said, it's different at the evangelical universities. There was a great article in the NYT maybe two months ago that was all about Michele Bachmann's law school, currently known as Regent. Extremely conservative and preachy, dedicated to a Christian, biblical interpretation of the law. I recommend it if only to get some insight into those kind of schools. I don't know for sure, but I imagine Brigham Young is similar, albeit with a Mormon twist.

<3 the Jesuits.

paul34

Postby paul34 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:22 pm

Last edited by paul34 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lvaughn714

Postby Lvaughn714 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:15 pm

Enderdejorand wrote:I know that Notre Dame is notorious for how religious it is. Above The Law just released an article about how they had a big campus-wide explosion about an email/meeting that talked about how contraceptives are wrong. In addition, I've heard some teachers will start classes with prayers, etc. And most rooms have crosses on them. I feel that'd be a major determinant in the perspective with which you approach the law, and it'd also probably show in the population that attends the school (similar religious backgrounds probably, etc).

This is ridiculous. I went to undergrad at ND and have several friends at law school there. I have never heard of any prof starting class with a prayer and as a non religious person I can tell you the only thing that bugged me was how weird my freshman theology teacher was. Also, with regards to the Obama situation, there were just as many students profs and alumni who supported his presence it's just that the anti Obama people were the ones getting arrested or making a huge spectacle of themselves.

2LT_CPG

Postby 2LT_CPG » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:53 pm

I had a lot of my classes start with a prayer at my Jesuit high school. Then I went to a Jesuit college and not a single class began with a prayer. Including the two taught by priests.

But yeah, the Notre Dame thing. Similar controversy erupted when I was at Fordham my sophomore year when the law school gave an award to Justice Breyer. People flipped shit because of his stance on abortion. The archbishop called Fordham names, generally ranted against Jesuits. The conservative alums and the Respect For Life people threw a tantrum. But then people just kind of forgot and gave up.

The thing with that controversy and the similar thing at Notre Dame with the president is essentially an institutional question. Look at the past week's political dust up over contraception. Catholic universities and hospitals serve essentially a secular purpose - education and healthcare - but the bishops and some of the boards in charge of these institutions want to retain their conservative (not necessarily in a political sense, more culturally) identity.

That said, I think Catholics, and specifically Jesuits, are much more progressive and secular when it comes to their hospitals and universities' place in secular society. Mormons and evangelicals have a much more prosetylitic mission as part of their core because they have fewer institutions (particularly universities) that carry the same heft as the Catholic Church or the Society of Jesus. There's nothing wrong with that because I think they're up front about it. Just don't go to BYU and invite your fellow 1Ls to a kegger during orientation.

legalscholar123

Postby legalscholar123 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:55 pm

Ave Maria in Florida

HapaForever

Postby HapaForever » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:22 pm

I have spoken to Notre Dame Law students (both Catholic and not) and they have had professors who pray before class begins. However, they also said Notre Dame professors do not push a Catholic agenda.

proctor_right_in_the

Postby proctor_right_in_the » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:48 am

I didn't wanna bump this... it's so, so old.... but I'm struggling to find any current post by people who still care about our lord and Savior.

I sent different personal statements to different schools, obviously... I only sent this (partial) to Duke and Liberty.

Wrong approach?

The lord couldn’t take it anymore, so he gave the donkey a voice. Not like the one he used with Cain, that was different. This was one a normal person could hear. The donkey said what the hell did I do to you? You keep beating me, I’m just trying to save your life from this scary angel.
You made an ass out of me, ass, said Balaam. If I had a sword, I’d kill you.
Listen, said the donkey. You can ask my master, cain, I never do stuff like that. I wouldn’t have done it if it weren’t for the angel. Man, you didn’t have to hit me. You really wrung my bell.
At this point, the angel revealed himself to Balaam, and said why do you keeping hitting your donkey friend? He was just trying to do my will, and turn you away from this path? You shouldn’t have hit him, man.
Oh dear, I have sinned. I’m just a sinning sinner, aren’t I? I didn’t realized you were standing there, on account of you being invisible to everyone except the donkey.
At this, Balaam looked at the donkey and said, we cool? The donkey gave him a fist bump and said, yeah, it’s all good. But I’m going to go back and wait for cain. I did my part here, I just wanted to be involved in one adventure. But you guys play too rough.

OK, guys be honest... should I talk most about my habitat for humanities stuff, or is this good?

ihenry

Postby ihenry » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:10 am

proctor_right_in_the wrote:I didn't wanna bump this... it's so, so old.... but I'm struggling to find any current post by people who still care about our lord and Savior.

I sent different personal statements to different schools, obviously... I only sent this (partial) to Duke and Liberty.

Wrong approach?

The lord couldn’t take it anymore, so he gave the donkey a voice. Not like the one he used with Cain, that was different. This was one a normal person could hear. The donkey said what the hell did I do to you? You keep beating me, I’m just trying to save your life from this scary angel.
Listen, said the donkey. You can ask my master, cain, I never do stuff like that. I wouldn’t have done it if it weren’t for the angel. Man, you didn’t have to hit me. You really wrung my bell.
At this point, the angel revealed himself to Balaam, and said why do you keeping hitting your donkey friend? He was just trying to do my will, and turn you away from this path? You shouldn’t have hit him, man.
Oh dear, I have sinned. I’m just a sinning sinner, aren’t I? I didn’t realized you were standing there, on account of you being invisible to everyone except the donkey.
At this, Balaam looked at the donkey and said, we cool? The donkey gave him a fist bump and said, yeah, it’s all good. But I’m going to go back and wait for cain. I did my part here, I just wanted to be involved in one adventure. But you guys play too rough.

OK, guys be honest... should I talk most about my habitat for humanities stuff, or is this good?

I have nothing to say regarding your humanities stuff. I just want to thank you for giving me a good laugh in which I was choked by rice when having lunch with your dick picture PS.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:27 am

proctor_right_in_the wrote:I didn't wanna bump this... it's so, so old.... but I'm struggling to find any current post by people who still care about our lord and Savior.

Wrong approach?

Maybe talk about your shitty comedy writing instead.

You really thought this was worth bumping a three year old thread?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:05 am

Don't troll.

Return to “Law School FAQ”