Should I take LSATs in June?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Should I take LSATs in June?

Postby sgrant » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:50 am

Background: I am a senior at a pretty selective liberal arts school in the Northeast. GPA is currently a 3.83 and I am majoring in Economics. I have a good job lined up after I start in the spring and I anticipate working in it for around three years. I did well on the SATs (2300) and am generally a good standardized test taker. I'm hoping to score in the upper 170s and get into the top half of T14.

Since I'm set with my job, I have a pretty easy semester ahead academically and am considering using my free time to study for the LSATs in June. How long would my score in June 2012 count? (i.e. if I work for 4 or 5 years, would I need to retake the LSATs before applying to law school?)
I imagine that studying for the LSATs with my job would be more more difficult time-wise than spending 10 hours a week during the semester. I'd be interested to hear anyone's though who has been in this situation.

Re: Should I take LSATs in June?

Postby landla » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:24 pm

An LSAT score is good for five years (though some schools accept for a shorter amount of time).

I would without a doubt suggest that you study heavily for the LSAT this semester during school. However, you need to realize that it is a huge commitment or time and energy. It will be easier to do this while you are in school than while starting to work full time (most likely). I also suggest doing it this way since it will give you penty of time to potentially retake with sustained studying in the future, if necessary.

Good luck!

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:47 pm

I disagree. I say the best thing for you to do is not focus on the lsat and instead, focus on keeping your grades up.

For me, I did this. Working full-time and studying seems better, at least for me. Since while doing so, I don't have to read/study for anything else besides the LSAT.
I would just wait to study until after you graduate, since you're already planning on taking some time off to work. Oh, and another thing. SAVE YOUR MONEY.

Postby 20130312 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:00 pm

+1 to focusing on that GPA. Studying for the LSAT while working full time is fine. I did it.

Postby KingsBench » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:26 pm

Considering the timeframe you put forward, I would hold it off a year or two. There's a chance you might decide to work longer than expected, meaning that your LSAT score would expire before you could submit applications. Even then, I feel it's much better to simply focus your studying on the LSAT while working full-time than trying to juggle LSAT studying while doing work for your other courses - unless, of course, you happen to be particularly good at time management.

Postby smelltheglove » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:21 pm

Return to “Law School FAQ”