Superior. 168. Retake?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Guillaume9
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:24 am

Superior. 168. Retake?

Postby Guillaume9 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:26 am

I'm thinking about retaking in June this year. My PTs range from 163-175, but for most of the time I'm scoring around 168-172. I was having a serious fever when taking the LSAT and got 168, so I feel that there is still room for improvement if I really work hard this time.

The problem is that I've already been admitted to some schools (some lower T-14 and some T-20 with $$) now. So assume that I scored a 170+ in June, what would my options be? I will have already paid the deposit at a school when the score comes out in June or probably July, is that still OK for me to opt out and reapply next cycle?

I'm still deciding whether I shall register for the June LSAT now. I really need some advice here.

FloridaCoastalorbust
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: Superior. 168. Retake?

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:37 am

Guillaume9 wrote:I'm thinking about retaking in June this year. My PTs range from 163-175, but for most of the time I'm scoring around 168-172. I was having a serious fever when taking the LSAT and got 168, so I feel that there is still room for improvement if I really work hard this time.

The problem is that I've already been admitted to some schools (some lower T-14 and some T-20 with $$) now. So assume that I scored a 170+ in June, what would my options be? I will have already paid the deposit at a school when the score comes out in June or probably July, is that still OK for me to opt out and reapply next cycle?

I'm still deciding whether I shall register for the June LSAT now. I really need some advice here.


You have several options here. 1) save money and don't make any seat deposit, therefore foregoing schools this cycle in hopes of scoring higher in June 2) Make seat deposit to top choice and forget about LSAT 3) Make seat deposit to top choice, take the LSAT in June anyway, and best case scenario get a 170+ and lose $1000.

3 is your best bet of course. Would you pay $1000 and 1 year's time for a 170+? If so, just take it in June after making the seat deposits at your current top choice.

User avatar
StarLightSpectre
Posts: 339
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:32 pm

Re: Superior. 168. Retake?

Postby StarLightSpectre » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:41 am

edit: double post
Last edited by StarLightSpectre on Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
StarLightSpectre
Posts: 339
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:32 pm

Re: Superior. 168. Retake?

Postby StarLightSpectre » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:41 am

You have several options here. 1) save money and don't make any seat deposit, therefore foregoing schools this cycle in hopes of scoring higher in June 2) Make seat deposit to top choice and forget about LSAT 3) Make seat deposit to top choice, take the LSAT in June anyway, and best case scenario get a 170+ and lose $1000.

3 is your best bet of course. Would you pay $1000 and 1 year's time for a 170+? If so, just take it in June after making the seat deposits at your current top choice.


I'm basically doing option 3 but with a lower range of #/schools. I was PTing in the 166-170s and ended up making a 162. So while I have been waitlisted at some T14s and will probably get a couple decent accepts due to my URM status. I know I can do better. But in case I don't I'll have hedged my bets.

edit: horrible grammar

Guillaume9
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:24 am

Re: Superior. 168. Retake?

Postby Guillaume9 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:51 am

Thanks for all the replies. So if I went with (obviously) option 3, would there be any ethical issues about making a seat deposit and then deciding not to go to that school? Is that OK? Will I be blacklisted or something? (It is legit in France though, but I know I cannot automatically assume the same in another country)

Guillaume9
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:24 am

Re: Superior. 168. Retake?

Postby Guillaume9 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:58 am

StarLightSpectre wrote:
You have several options here. 1) save money and don't make any seat deposit, therefore foregoing schools this cycle in hopes of scoring higher in June 2) Make seat deposit to top choice and forget about LSAT 3) Make seat deposit to top choice, take the LSAT in June anyway, and best case scenario get a 170+ and lose $1000.

3 is your best bet of course. Would you pay $1000 and 1 year's time for a 170+? If so, just take it in June after making the seat deposits at your current top choice.


I'm basically doing option 3 but with a lower range of #/schools. I was PTing in the 166-170s and ended up making a 162. So while I have been waitlisted at some T14s and will probably get a couple decent accepts due to my URM status. I know I can do better. But in case I don't I'll have hedged my bets.

edit: horrible grammar


I'm glad that someone is with me in this same boat. How do you plan to tell the school you will have paid the deposit to if you (and you obviously should) score higher in June? Will that school hold it against you because of that or is that just normal in the law school application?

User avatar
StarLightSpectre
Posts: 339
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:32 pm

Re: Superior. 168. Retake?

Postby StarLightSpectre » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:26 am

I'm glad that someone is with me in this same boat. How do you plan to tell the school you will have paid the deposit to if you (and you obviously should) score higher in June? Will that school hold it against you because of that or is that just normal in the law school application?


If I do indeed score significantly higher in June. I plan on writing them a letter explaining that while I am very grateful for admission I am deciding to withdraw from "insert law school" in light of my recent LSAT score. Then I'll go on about how reapplying is a wise choice for me in light of high costs and an uncertain economy. And if end up getting into a pretty good school I'll probably ask them if they could give me more $$.

Asleep
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:29 am

Re: Superior. 168. Retake?

Postby Asleep » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:34 pm

I don't think you should say you aren't attending because you got a higher LSAT score. That seems like it would lead to some bad blood. I'd just say that you've decided not to attend law school the next year. If you want, maybe tell them what you will be doing during that year.

KingsBench
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:21 am

Re: Superior. 168. Retake?

Postby KingsBench » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:23 pm

I agree with Asleep, the argument that you just rewrote the LSAT, got a better score, and now withdrawing because of an "uncertain economy" doesn't really make much sense, particularly from the school's standpoint. I would simply just rewrite and drop your deposit if you do significantly better.

Keep in mind that with a Superior, your LSAT is going to be the crucial element of your application (since you can't compete numerically GPA-wise). If you are certain you can raise it to a 170+, your chances at getting to a higher T14 is definitely higher.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest