standing within percentages and unweighted A+s Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
sillyboots

New

standing within percentages and unweighted A+s

Post by sillyboots » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:27 am

-
Last edited by sillyboots on Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

fatduck

Gold

Re: standing within percentages and unweighted A+s

Post by fatduck » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:28 am

sillyboots wrote:Hi all.

I'm a 1L and have received two of my four grades, both of which were As (both of the As classes were worth 5 credits, and the remaining classes are worth 2 and 3 respectively). Unfortunately, the last two grades are the two grades I'm also the most uneasy about. Especially I'm worried about the result in the 2 credit course, and could imagine it being quite bad.

Anyway, I'm not likely to hear on my last two grades until February, but speculation has presented me with two questions I was hoping people here could help me with:

1. Last year the cut off for top 5% was 3.9, and 10% 3.6. Depending on my last two grades, there's a good chance I could not make the cut at least for this semester. Assuming I end up with a cumulative GPA of 3.7 or below this semester, that would mean that even if I 4.0 the next semester, at least in accordance with last year's standards I would still be stuck in the top 10%. My question is whether in that case it would still be worth the effort to work my ass off and do everything possible to get that 4.0-- basically, since my school only gives ranking in 5% increments, would it really make a difference if I was in the lower or higher end of the top 10%?

2. A+s at my school aren't weighted, but it's my understanding that most teachers give 1-2. Just curious if in such a situation, for things like transfer prospects (probably won't transfer, but curious) if it will make a noticeable difference. I.e. would two 4.0 students, one with straight A+s and one with straight As be considered very differently despite being tied for #1?

Thanks!!
1. no
2. no

sillyboots

New

Post by sillyboots » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:56 pm

-
Last edited by sillyboots on Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

sillyboots

New

Post by sillyboots » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:18 am

hate being annoying and bumping, but still curious if anyone has any experience in the matter or any thoughts.

Detrox

Bronze

Post by Detrox » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:44 am

People will want more information. Your current school range? The transfer schools your considering? Your employment aspirations?

With the info you currently have provided, I think the answer is rather obvious that the best you can do is always going to help you in some small way. For instance, if the decision (for transfer or employment) came down to you and a random student at an equal ranked school with similar background/stats, it's always in your favor to have any slight edge.

That's about all the info I can provide from my limited experience and the data you've provided. The question you seem to be asking is "should I care about doing well in Spring semester even though I cannot break top 10%," and that may be a lot tougher to answer then the real question "what do I need to do to maintain at least top 10%?" The latter question also happens to be a lot more in your control.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:30 am

sillyboots wrote:1. Last year the cut off for top 5% was 3.9, and 10% 3.6. Depending on my last two grades, there's a good chance I could not make the cut at least for this semester. Assuming I end up with a cumulative GPA of 3.7 or below this semester, that would mean that even if I 4.0 the next semester, at least in accordance with last year's standards I would still be stuck in the top 10%. My question is whether in that case it would still be worth the effort to work my ass off and do everything possible to get that 4.0-- basically, since my school only gives ranking in 5% increments, would it really make a difference if I was in the lower or higher end of the top 10%?
Of course you should keep working hard. Employers and transfer school adcoms see GPAs, not just percentile. Who knows if they make the distinction between a 3.72 and a 3.86 or something, but wouldn't you want to hedge your bets and get it up as high as you can? Besides, the historical top 5% cutoff is just that, historical. You never know what it'll wind up at the end of the year.

sillyboots

New

Post by sillyboots » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:17 am

Thanks for the responses, you two. Makes sense what you're saying and I appreciate it. Think I'll crack the whip on myself and put in as solid of an effort I can this semester.

Thanks again!!
-R

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”