Going into Law School With Zero Social Connections

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
2LT_CPG

Going into Law School With Zero Social Connections

Postby 2LT_CPG » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:51 pm

I'm kind of curious about this. I went to my grade school's most popular high school, so I came in there with at least a dozen other kids I knew. Then I went to my high school class' most popular undergrad (with 22 others from my class). So I've never gone to a new school without significant preexisting social connections. Probably says a lot about where I chose to go to school more than anything, but I know wherever I go to law school I'll be essentially going in alone this time.

But I'm curious about how going in without any connections (social or otherwise) and potentially a new city is. Is having other law students as roommates a good way to break into the law school social scene? Does living in university housing around others in your class help? Does the uniquely competitive nature of law school make social connections between classmates different than how it was in undergrad? Or do the stresses of being a 1L make for a unique bonding environment?

Magnolia

Re: Going into Law School With Zero Social Connections

Postby Magnolia » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:42 pm

Most of your classmates will probably not know anyone in the area either, so everyone will be looking for friends at the start of school. Sure, having a roommate or living in law school housing may facilitate it, but it isn't necessary. And if the competition thing is an issue at all (it wasn't for my friends and I), it won't happen til later in the semester.

Just relax and be open to meeting people. Make plans with people and accept invitations as often as possible. Everyone wants friends, but friend groups can form surprisingly quickly so you don't want to get left out.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:36 pm

Have fun losing touch with every one second semester when you gun your ass off.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:56 pm

say hi to people and smile? dude i dont know have you ever made friends before?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:58 pm

YourCaptain wrote:say hi to people and smile? dude i dont know have you ever made friends before?

Have 9ish beers and hope that you're a funny drunk. Done.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:01 am

Grizz wrote:
YourCaptain wrote:say hi to people and smile? dude i dont know have you ever made friends before?

i have faith that if he just quotes office space and/or anchor man while at a party if people are drunk enough thatll work. GL OP!

surfer

Postby surfer » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:58 am

2LT_CPG wrote:I'm kind of curious about this. I went to my grade school's most popular high school, so I came in there with at least a dozen other kids I knew. Then I went to my high school class' most popular undergrad (with 22 others from my class). So I've never gone to a new school without significant preexisting social connections. Probably says a lot about where I chose to go to school more than anything, but I know wherever I go to law school I'll be essentially going in alone this time.

But I'm curious about how going in without any connections (social or otherwise) and potentially a new city is. Is having other law students as roommates a good way to break into the law school social scene? Does living in university housing around others in your class help? Does the uniquely competitive nature of law school make social connections between classmates different than how it was in undergrad? Or do the stresses of being a 1L make for a unique bonding environment?

Don't worry about it. You'll make all the friends you need in law school. As someone posted above, circles of friends do tend to form quickly though, so I would get to know a a lot of people on orientation day. But as long as you have at least some social skills you'll be fine.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:03 am

Bring a teddy bear.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:52 am

Don't make TLS friends. TLSers are weirdo social outcasts.

But if you yourself are a weirdo social outcast TLS girls are super easy.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:42 am

Desert Fox wrote:But if you yourself are a weirdo social outcast TLS girls are super easy.

girls on the internet

American_in_China

Postby American_in_China » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:04 am

Tom Joad wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:But if you yourself are a weirdo social outcast TLS girls are super easy.

girls on the internet

TITCR.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:30 pm

f7 wrote:
Grizz wrote:

lolmadlaw

I consider my rage endearing.

Eliyahu7

Postby Eliyahu7 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:16 pm

Most law school students are stuck up douche bags anyways, so I wouldn't worry about it.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:17 pm

Grizz wrote:Have fun losing touch with every one second semester when you gun your ass off.

Not everyone sucks as much 1L year as you did, grizz.

OP, I knew literally no one at my school. Probably one of the only people in my tiny little college's history to go to WUSTL law. Not an issue at all if you aren't a sperglord.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:00 pm

Networking and making connections is easy.

Always say yes to every event, every function, and anything you're asked to do.

If classmates want to get coffee go. If you are asked to go to the bars go. If someone needs a ride offer one.

Just follow that rule of thumb and you'll network and meet plenty of people a month in.

Return to “Law School FAQ”