Study groups in law school

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
NICIAS

Study groups in law school

Postby NICIAS » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:46 pm

How many law school students work in study groups as opposed to working alone? If you work physically beside a friend and talk a little but mostly do your own work, count that as working alone. Any other information on study groups would be helpful, e.g., when do you form them?

I worked alone throughout all of undergrad. I can work well in a team/group when I have to but prefer to work alone.

piccolittle

Re: Study groups in law school

Postby piccolittle » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:00 pm

I worked alone throughout the semester, except in the week or so leading up to an exam. At that point, me and a few friends were going over practice exams and comparing our answers, as well as generally discussing technique. I found that helpful in the class I relied on them the most for, but I don't have the other grades back so I can't compare. Will probably update this when I do.

Basically, if you do your best work alone, study groups are mainly just helpful for getting other students' perspective on exams and pointing out gaps in your own knowledge (e.g. even common questions you all have that you should bring up with the professor). At that point, they are very useful if done right.

swilson215

Re: Study groups in law school

Postby swilson215 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:07 pm

piccolittle wrote:I worked alone throughout the semester, except in the week or so leading up to an exam. At that point, me and a few friends were going over practice exams and comparing our answers, as well as generally discussing technique. I found that helpful in the class I relied on them the most for, but I don't have the other grades back so I can't compare. Will probably update this when I do.

Basically, if you do your best work alone, study groups are mainly just helpful for getting other students' perspective on exams and pointing out gaps in your own knowledge (e.g. even common questions you all have that you should bring up with the professor). At that point, they are very useful if done right.

This is exactly what I did, too.

Return to “Law School FAQ”