How exactly do law schools get your grades?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
aenti

How exactly do law schools get your grades?

Postby aenti » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:57 am

As a 0L (sophomore) just starting his research in law schools, I was just curious as to how this process works. Do we send in transcripts to the schools we apply to?

NYC Law

Re: How exactly do law schools get your grades?

Postby NYC Law » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:58 am

You send them to LSAC and LSAC sends them to each school you apply to*

*For a small fee.

aenti

Postby aenti » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:00 am

Ah ok. So we send a copy of our transcripts down to LSAC, who then converts them to a LSAC GPA, correct?

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:01 am

aenti wrote:Ah ok. So we send a copy of our transcripts down to LSAC, who then converts them to a LSAC GPA, correct?

Yep.

aenti

Postby aenti » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:03 am

Thanks for the help!
Another quick question - this past semester I had to deal with a death in the family that required me to leave school for most of the semester. I received an academic exception to policy and was able to drop 2 out of my 4 classes about a week before finals. I'm worried that the LSAC will see the two W's on my transcript as a dropping due to a negative reason. How will this be factored into my LSAC gpa?

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:06 am

aenti wrote:Thanks for the help!
Another quick question - this past semester I had to deal with a death in the family that required me to leave school for most of the semester. I received an academic exception to policy and was able to drop 2 out of my 4 classes about a week before finals. I'm worried that the LSAC will see the two W's on my transcript as a dropping due to a negative reason. How will this be factored into my LSAC gpa?

Won't affect LSAC gpa, schools will see the W's, but they probably won't care. You can send an addendum just in case explaining there was a death, then they really won't be an issue at all.

aenti

Postby aenti » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:07 am

Thank god...it really had me shitting bricks, especially with all the negative connotations with W's in college. I wish my Uni had a better policy for my academic exception.

Thank you so much for the help!

Clarity

Postby Clarity » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:19 pm

aenti wrote:Thanks for the help!

They would only count in your LSAC GPA if they are punitive. Check to see how your school classifies the Ws.

At the Drive-In

Postby At the Drive-In » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:02 am

aenti wrote:Thank god...it really had me shitting bricks, especially with all the negative connotations with W's in college. I wish my Uni had a better policy for my academic exception.

Thank you so much for the help!

Most colleges have a WP and and WF. (Withdraw passing/withdraw failing). Since you had extenuating circumstances, I'm sure your W's are WPs, which generally don't mean much of anything. I know I had one or two when I was applying.

Return to “Law School FAQ”