Question Regarding Application to Law School

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
jfiguer6

Question Regarding Application to Law School

Postby jfiguer6 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:58 pm

Yesterday I received my December score. Unfortunately it was a dismal 148. My undergraduate GPA is 3.64 right now and if I get the grades I want this last semester my GPA will go up to a 3.7. I am set to graduate in May of this year. I really wanted to go to Law School during the fall of this year, but I'm wondering if I should take a year off and take a LSAT prep class so I can retake the test in June. The reason that I'm questioning this is because I don't know if I should apply to a small school like John Marshall in Atlanta and see if I get in, try to get the best grades I can there, and try to transfer to my goal school (Boston University). Or if I should just take a year off, retake the LSAT, see if I can increase my score to at least a 158 with a LSAT prep course and apply to BU next year and work Full Time at the law firm I'm currently at right now. I know I can't get into any second or first tier law schools with that LSAT score. So if I do get into John Marshall in Atlanta, should I go there for a year and try to transfer for my 2L at BU or should I take a year off, work on my LSAT score and try to apply for the 2013 cycle instead?

Thank you.

D'Angelo

Re: Question Regarding Application to Law School

Postby D'Angelo » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:59 pm

retaking LSAT is much more viable path than transfer!

jfiguer6

Re: Question Regarding Application to Law School

Postby jfiguer6 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:28 am

flem wrote:As someone who lives and works in the legal market in Atlanta, do not go to John Marshall, under any circumstances. You probably won't be able to transfer out, and with that LSAT you'd be paying sticker price there.

Unless your goal is to be a public defender, which is what it seems most John Marshall grads do.

I was in your position before. You're probably young (as I am) and delaying going to school a year seems like the end of the world. It's not. You already have a law firm job. Stay there and work, and study your face off for the LSAT, and then go to a T1 or a T2 with money. The extra year off will be worth it.

Yes, I am only 21 and I think that the general consensus is that, like you said, I need to study my face off for the LSAT and I can get into a good school. Thank you for the advice!

Return to “Law School FAQ”