What really is "Ties"

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Hjones33

What really is "Ties"

Postby Hjones33 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:42 pm

This is probably a rookie question, but what really is having a "ties" to a region or city? I am more asking this because I wanted to know if a tie is more just to a city or to a state or to a region? For example, lets say I am from City X, Washington, but its hours away from Seattle, do I have a tie to Seattle or no? Once again, this probably is a rookie question, but many people on here emphasize having ties to certain areas and I was wondering what really constitutes as a "tie"?

So my main question is does someone from city x, Washington, have a tie to Seattle even though they lived hours away from Seattle? What about Portland, because they want to live in the PNW? Is that too far of a stretch?

Thanks for any help! Much appreciated!

Veyron

Re: What really is "Ties"

Postby Veyron » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:45 pm

Portland: no.

Seattle, probably fine. But then again, its damn near impossible to get a legal job in Seattle (or Portland for that matter) even with ties.

Odd Future Wolf Gang

Postby Odd Future Wolf Gang » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:51 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Hjones33

Postby Hjones33 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:54 pm

Ha, I knew I was going to get something about neckties. But anyway, I understand that it's a hard job market, I was just using that more of an example so I can understand what a tie to a place is. So you are saying that you have ties to a state more or less and it doesn't really stretch out any farther?

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:55 pm

Veyron wrote:Seattle, probably fine. But then again, its damn near impossible to get a legal job in Seattle...even with ties.

Does this apply to HYSCCN with ties?

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:56 pm

If you don't really have ties but you make an honest argument why you want to live in an area will more insular firms let you in? I am thinking about Texas.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:00 pm

What about a spouse who has a job and is working in the area? I am hoping this will count as a tie into states where I haven't lived, as i have only lived in NY.

D'Angelo

Postby D'Angelo » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:23 pm

it generally sounds like ties require living in the area for some time! bow ties are better anyway if they are chosen properly...

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:30 pm

Tom Joad wrote:If you don't really have ties but you make an honest argument why you want to live in an area will more insular firms let you in? I am thinking about Texas.

Probably not.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:34 pm

sunynp wrote:What about a spouse who has a job and is working in the area? I am hoping this will count as a tie into states where I haven't lived, as i have only lived in NY.

I'm just repeating what other people have told me, but I get the impression that this is good. Ties aren't so much about not trusting outsiders as they are concerns about reducing flight. Firms in smaller markets like to know that you're in for the long haul, and aren't just chasing whatever job you can or will move out once their isn't as cool as you had imagined.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:36 pm

Ties aren't like a box you check. There are different degrees of ties. Some firms in parochial areas want really strong ties (like being from there). Some firms/regions aren't as demanding (stellar grades from a Southern school can get you ATL if you're from the South).

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:17 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
Veyron wrote:Seattle, probably fine. But then again, its damn near impossible to get a legal job in Seattle...even with ties.

Does this apply to HYSCCN with ties?

No, it only applies to HSCCN.

Return to “Law School FAQ”