Hyperlink on resume? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
BeerMaker

Bronze

Hyperlink on resume?

Post by BeerMaker » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:31 pm

What are your thoughts about adding a hyperlink to your work profile on your resume? I figure it can be helpful to put a face with a resume. Especially if you're really really ridiculously good looking (Derek Zoolander humor) :)

No, kidding aside, I think it could be valuable for several reasons. Thoughts?
Last edited by BeerMaker on Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NomNom

Bronze

Re: Hyperlink on resume?

Post by NomNom » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:34 pm

No. I doubt they look at it and it wont be clickable as submitted to my knowledge. Unless they ask for your webpage (facebook anyone?), I would keep it traditional.

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:46 pm

no

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:48 pm

thederangedwang wrote:no

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:50 pm

This would show pretty poor judgment.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Haymarket

Bronze

Post by Haymarket » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:05 pm

Absolutely not. Completely idiotic.

tyro

Silver

Post by tyro » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:29 pm

Not a hyperlink but maybe the URL for an organization you worked with/volunteered for. That's still kind of a risk though because it's going against the tradition.

Fark-o-vision

Silver

Post by Fark-o-vision » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:37 pm

Obviously "no" is the wrong answer. It would really depend on where you are talking about.

Non-legal job: Not sure why you would be asking here, but it would probably depend on the type of job and the field.

Law School: Doesn't matter. Knock yourself out. In fact, aside from a few schools like Northwestern, it might actually help. Or hurt. Maybe for a reach? Though there are traditional schools (Re: Northwestern) that might dislike what you've done.

Firm Job: Advice seems to generally be that law firms are traditional institutions and going a traditional route is never going to hurt you. Not adhering to tradition is going to hurt you much more often, and much more severely, than it will help.

So....no?

BeerMaker

Bronze

Post by BeerMaker » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:53 pm

Fark-o-vision wrote:Obviously "no" is the wrong answer. It would really depend on where you are talking about.

Non-legal job: Not sure why you would be asking here, but it would probably depend on the type of job and the field.

Law School: Doesn't matter. Knock yourself out. In fact, aside from a few schools like Northwestern, it might actually help. Or hurt. Maybe for a reach? Though there are traditional schools (Re: Northwestern) that might dislike what you've done.

Firm Job: Advice seems to generally be that law firms are traditional institutions and going a traditional route is never going to hurt you. Not adhering to tradition is going to hurt you much more often, and much more severely, than it will help.

So....no?
By adhering to tradition, do you mean bullet points and times new roman? Tradition is so boring.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:56 pm

BeerMaker wrote:
Fark-o-vision wrote:Obviously "no" is the wrong answer. It would really depend on where you are talking about.

So....no?
By adhering to tradition, do you mean bullet points and times new roman? Tradition is so boring.
You're going to hate law school.

Haymarket

Bronze

Post by Haymarket » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:57 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
BeerMaker wrote:

So....no?
A rebellious, cutesy disregard for formal rules is also a quick way to fail things like LRW and get no-offered.

Related tip: make your personal statement a poem and do it in comic sans.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:33 pm

Not for a picture, no. And don't put one in the top corner of the thing either. Tacky.

BeerMaker

Bronze

Post by BeerMaker » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:41 pm

paratactical wrote:Not for a picture, no. And don't put one in the top corner of the thing either. Tacky.

Haha... no, no. Not going to be that drastic :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:47 pm

BeerMaker wrote:
paratactical wrote:Not for a picture, no. And don't put one in the top corner of the thing either. Tacky.

Haha... no, no. Not going to be that drastic :)
Haha. Okay. You never know on these forums. Resumes are tricky because you don't want to do anything too out there for this industry. I have, however, for past legal jobs, put a footer statement that "references, writing samples and Internet articles" were available. Only one place ever took me up on it, but I kept links to college newspapers outlining some really crazy fundraising (that mentioned me by name) and provided them if anyone asked. I don't think I'd do it for a law school app, though.

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:47 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
BeerMaker wrote:

So....no?
And the legal field too for that matter.

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:50 pm

No

(Are you in some sort of contest to ask the dumbest question on an internet forum?)

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:33 am

So....no?
so after all of that, you basically said "no" is the wrong answer and "no?" is the right answer....

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Errzii

Bronze

Post by Errzii » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:50 am

Sure, I don't see why not? In fact, what you really should do is put your entire application is a video-essay form and upload it to youtube then just link them that. It will show adcomms that you are a creative individual and adds a personal touch to your application. I heard a few years back some girl got into Harvard by doing this. Good luck!

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:07 am

Errzii wrote:Sure, I don't see why not? In fact, what you really should do is put your entire application is a video-essay form and upload it to youtube then just link them that. It will show adcomms that you are a creative individual and adds a personal touch to your application. I heard a few years back some girl got into Harvard by doing this. Good luck!
Georgetown has a section on their application where you can record a one minute video and provide the youtbe link. No joke.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:36 am

thederangedwang wrote:

So....no?
so after all of that, you basically said "no" is the wrong answer and "no?" is the right answer....
You're getting it all mixed up. "no." is the wrong answer. "no?" is the correct answer. I'm surprised the nuance is lost on you

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:41 am

BeerMaker wrote: By adhering to tradition, do you mean bullet points and times new roman? Tradition is so boring.
Tradition may be boring, but it's traditional because it's effective. You're trying to convey your background effeciently and effectively and keeping it in a traditional format that the hiring managers/adcomms are used to makes it easier on them. Don't make it harder on them to like you.

But hyperlinks are not always bad. If you were going for a web design job for example, I would highly recommend some sort of link to your portfolio. But c'mon - everything they need to make their decision should be a submitted piece via LSAC.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BeerMaker

Bronze

Post by BeerMaker » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:18 am

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
Errzii wrote:Sure, I don't see why not? In fact, what you really should do is put your entire application is a video-essay form and upload it to youtube then just link them that. It will show adcomms that you are a creative individual and adds a personal touch to your application. I heard a few years back some girl got into Harvard by doing this. Good luck!
Georgetown has a section on their application where you can record a one minute video and provide the youtbe link. No joke.
I think that's a fantastic idea. If I were between two people and I had a chance to watch a video of them, I'd do it. Looks go a long way. Good looking people are more confident and successful. By good looking, I don't necessarily mean super model. I'm just saying someone who takes care of their body, is well groomed (trimmed beard :), is more likely to be successful. Also, social skills could be portrayed in a video. We all know how many people end up at some of the most elite law schools who lack social skills. They end up bums in the profession.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:26 am

shoeshine wrote:No

(Are you in some sort of contest to ask the dumbest question on an internet forum?)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:36 am

Anecdotal evidence: As an undergrad, I actually included hyperlinks on a cover letter - links to some work I had done in the past, for example. I applied to an internship at the ACLU, and their hiring person told me my application stood out in a positive manner because I was the only one who had linked to some of my past work, and this allowed them to get a more in depth picture of what I had done.

I don't know if this holds in the legal world, since this was an undergrad internship. But I've always included links on my resumes (for example to my website/portfolio) and have had pretty good success in getting opportunities, so I don't know. I even included links in my resume and got into almost every t-14 school I applied to, so...

Just another perspective. I would say that if you have an impressive online portfolio or want to include your website/linkedin account/portfolio (something highly professional), then it might not be a bad idea. Including a link to a poorly designed website is not going to help you, obviously.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:12 pm

BeerMaker wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:
I think that's a fantastic idea. If I were between two people and I had a chance to watch a video of them, I'd do it. Looks go a long way. Good looking people are more confident and successful. By good looking, I don't necessarily mean super model. I'm just saying someone who takes care of their body, is well groomed (trimmed beard :), is more likely to be successful. Also, social skills could be portrayed in a video. We all know how many people end up at some of the most elite law schools who lack social skills. They end up bums in the profession.
I've found that in Biglaw, people obsessed with taking care of their bodies often collapse under the stress quickly and provide poor team morale when they ask for salads for dinner at the end of a 14 hour work day.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”