Need advice to attend Law school

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Alphaman1133

Need advice to attend Law school

Postby Alphaman1133 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:04 am

Hello all, I've read a ton of threads here but need some advice. I have been accepted to a low T2 with a small scholly as long as I maintain a 2.5. I also have a $7500 stipend for the first yr and plan to live/pay rent w/ it. I have no biglaw aspirarations and plan to be an ADA after LS. My ultimate goal is to be a AUSA or FBI agent. Graduated from a out of state school in may and took a yr off. I have a good amount of UG debt half fed half private and will probably grad LS w/ $80,000 debt. I plan to of course take advantage of IBR and 10 yr forgiveness and my parents may help pay down my private loans some while I'm in school. I'm also working and will hav about 4k saved up for next fall. If not law school then I would be a cop for a few yrs get a second BS and MS in accounting instate at a state school (6k a yr) and do white collar crime/ forensic accounting hopefully for the Feds. My question to TLS is should I go to LS and be an ADA or the cop route. I would certainly be happy with either but prefer to be an ADA. If it matters ima AA male still waiting to hear from Rutgers-Newark/Howard. Where ever I go to LS I would not have a problem living. I know the economy is shitty and that's what I'm worried about but I'm thinking if I use IBR/ PI forgiveness then it doesn't really matter. Any advice is much appreciated.

northwood

Re: Need advice to attend Law school

Postby northwood » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:14 am

what do you want to do? If you arent sure, then take a year off and contemplate your options. Talk to some career advisors and police academies to see what would be best for you

Alphaman1133

Postby Alphaman1133 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:24 am

I kno for sure I want to go to law school but I'm a little worried about the debt. Everyone on here thinks t-14 or bust and like I said in not interested in big law. The cop thing is more so a back up plan

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:39 am

There are lots of good reasons to go to non-T14 schools. Many regulars on here in fact attend schools outside the T14. How much debt will you be taking on from law school? What kind of T2 is it? There's a difference between a school like Depaul and a school like IU-Indy. There's going to be a lot more competition for non-biglaw jobs coming from a T2 in a region saturated with T2-T4s like Chicago, NYC or DC, compared to markets like Indianapolis or San Diego where lower-ranked schools have a midsize natural market without a ton of natural competition. Obviously, there's still a lot of competition and the prospects at a place like IU-Indy are not great, but probably better than others.

Also, keep in mind that PI jobs can be just as competitive as biglaw. I think there are some threads on here that specifically discuss the competitiveness of jobs like AUSA. It's my understanding that federal government hiring (which it sounds like you want) for LS grads is practically frozen right now.

That said, it sounds like you have a decent scholarship with pretty low stips. Consider going, but know that it's not going to be an easy road and getting employment at all might be challenging, much less your ideal employment. I think if I were you, though, I would choose the cop/forensic accounting route. That seems much cheaper, might have better job prospects, and would probably be more interesting.

Alphaman1133

Postby Alphaman1133 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:55 am

Thank you very much for your post. The school I'm talking about is Michigan state. After graduation I wouldn't mind living there since I hav an aunt an uncle there and they work for PI orgs as well. Total UG debt and LS debt will probably b around 105,000. But I'm assuming that really isnt a factor with IBR and 10 yr forgiveness. I just don't want to dive into a school with no real chance of getting a job

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:53 pm

I'm not too familiar with MSU, so take this all with a grain of salt and poke around for some relevant threads, but it's my understanding that MSU is on the rise. While the Michigan economy is still struggling obviously, there's not a lot of natural competition for MSU grads compared to other areas. Having some connections there will be extremely helpful though. The problem with a lot of T2 schools is that they are very locally-focused for employment, but a lot of local employers want people with ties to the region.

All this makes MSU a more attractive option, but still proceed with caution. Also, read up on IBR and forgiveness. I think you have to have a qualifying job or something, which is not always easy. I could definitely be wrong on that though. You seem to be approaching the situation with a clear head, which is most important. And you seem to have a good backup option. Good luck with whichever you choose to do!

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:03 pm

There are risks in both paths to Fed or FBI work but law is more riskier.

If you are not an exceptional law student you will have trouble finding any work at all as a lawyer, let alone FBI, be in debt, and be back to square one.

If you are not an exceptional cop, then you don't make it to FBI, but at least you have the cop job to fall back on, which is a career. I would go with cop.

The competition within each circle is keener in law school. You will be up against an entire school of people who are your intellectual equals. Or if you get in to a school because of AA you will be up against an entire school of people who actually did better than you in GPA, admissions test, or both. Trust me its hard enough when you are on equal footing.

As cop, you are up against other cops. I think there is a bigger mix of people and brains. There are a lot of smart cops who will rise, but there are plenty of dummies who will remain on foot patrol.

Alphaman1133

Postby Alphaman1133 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:18 pm

Thank u all very much and I will certainly consider all options. Both my aunt and uncle are lawyers in MI so I certainly hav connections there and I have a few connects for policing at my UG. I just needed anothers perspective about whether MSU would b a good choice or horrible and u all have shed some light for me.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:20 pm

If you main goal is to be an ADA then it could makes sense to go to law school. I've also heard that Michigan State is on the rise and it might be the best school to actually practice in Michigan since, from what I hear, MI employers are wary of out of state people at U of M.
The only thing is would suggest is maybe working for a bit first. You could work as a cop for 3-4 years and then make the decision whether to attend law school or not while paying down you undergrad debt. That way you could make a more informed decision which path you really like more. It would also give the economy time to recover and would make you a more attractive candidate to actually land a ADA position. That would be my suggestion unless you have a really strong reason to attend law school right now.

Return to “Law School FAQ”