T6

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
dontTazemeBrah
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: T6

Postby dontTazemeBrah » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:03 am

TaipeiMort wrote:I thought about not responding because I don't want to out myself. But, I can't stop myself.

First, I am not Chinese.

Second, I really do not deserve any crap because I decided to go to Chicago instead of the other schools where I was competitive. I am married and have a kid. Most of the top schools really aren't family friendly. Chicago is. We have friends and family at the school. It makes it really easy when you are a conservative married person to go to a school with a hugely disproportionate number of married conservative people. I enjoy Chicago for its "unique" student body. I can go through school and socialize with other married adults, non-hot people, shy/socially awkward people. It is like attending a magnet junior high school. My wife used to worry that I would flirt at school, until I brought her around campus and she met the girls and realized that there was no chance of me flirting in the world (not to say they are ugly, just that they are chill and respectful).

Third, I only troll for Chicago because it has paid my investment back BIG time. I hope other people can see what a great investment it is. From slightly above median I got 12 callbacks in 9 markets including McKinsey and some awesome V10s, and better offers than I could have really expected. I love my education, learning from Baird, Levmore, Posner, Posner Jr., Epstein, Easterbrook, Wood, Ginsburg, and others has been an incredible experience. The student body is funny, amiable, and pimp.

Fourth, I do not make "crazy" statements on this board. I've basically only said 3 things people haven't liked:

1) NYU is a very strong regional school, meaning that you should go to Columbia if you want CA, not NYU.

2) Harvard is weaksauce because they choose to hire a diluted academic faculty to accommodate their large class instead of a practitioner faculty like Columbia and NYU.

3) People underestimate how bad it is for bottom-half kids at Harvard because of the relative number of below-median kids. At Chicago most I know have a great job lined up. The ones that don't were screwed by bidding strategy or social skills. Anecdotally, I know people at NYU, Columbia, and Harvard that stand below median have had sucky prospects because their schools are churning out over twice the number of grads at Yale, Stanford, and Chicago. Every firm may want both a Chicago and Harvard kid (especially because Chicago has twice the number of partners per-capita as Harvard), but they may not want two Harvard kids and a Chicago kid. The combination of lay prestige and decision by the administration to make more $$ instead of being the best law school on the planet makes for a pretty misleading package.


funny how in the other thread it shows you lying about "picking" chicago. a quick look at your lsn shows you actually did want to attend CLS and HLS but you "chose" chicago.

let me get this straight. you admit that you "troll" for chicago and you use terms like "weaksauce' to describe HLS? also, you talk about things like chicago being good because of your wife not worrying about you flirting with other women? seriously? wow, just wow...

thederangedwang
Posts: 1124
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:44 pm

Re: T6

Postby thederangedwang » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:06 am

are you saying u arent chinese due to this whole taiwan china thing? or are you actually not chinese?

dontTazemeBrah
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: T6

Postby dontTazemeBrah » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:12 am

a quick look at his post history shows he is chinese

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: T6

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:59 am

dontTazemeBrah wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:I thought about not responding because I don't want to out myself. But, I can't stop myself.

First, I am not Chinese.

Second, I really do not deserve any crap because I decided to go to Chicago instead of the other schools where I was competitive. I am married and have a kid. Most of the top schools really aren't family friendly. Chicago is. We have friends and family at the school. It makes it really easy when you are a conservative married person to go to a school with a hugely disproportionate number of married conservative people. I enjoy Chicago for its "unique" student body. I can go through school and socialize with other married adults, non-hot people, shy/socially awkward people. It is like attending a magnet junior high school. My wife used to worry that I would flirt at school, until I brought her around campus and she met the girls and realized that there was no chance of me flirting in the world (not to say they are ugly, just that they are chill and respectful).

Third, I only troll for Chicago because it has paid my investment back BIG time. I hope other people can see what a great investment it is. From slightly above median I got 12 callbacks in 9 markets including McKinsey and some awesome V10s, and better offers than I could have really expected. I love my education, learning from Baird, Levmore, Posner, Posner Jr., Epstein, Easterbrook, Wood, Ginsburg, and others has been an incredible experience. The student body is funny, amiable, and pimp.

Fourth, I do not make "crazy" statements on this board. I've basically only said 3 things people haven't liked:

1) NYU is a very strong regional school, meaning that you should go to Columbia if you want CA, not NYU.

2) Harvard is weaksauce because they choose to hire a diluted academic faculty to accommodate their large class instead of a practitioner faculty like Columbia and NYU.

3) People underestimate how bad it is for bottom-half kids at Harvard because of the relative number of below-median kids. At Chicago most I know have a great job lined up. The ones that don't were screwed by bidding strategy or social skills. Anecdotally, I know people at NYU, Columbia, and Harvard that stand below median have had sucky prospects because their schools are churning out over twice the number of grads at Yale, Stanford, and Chicago. Every firm may want both a Chicago and Harvard kid (especially because Chicago has twice the number of partners per-capita as Harvard), but they may not want two Harvard kids and a Chicago kid. The combination of lay prestige and decision by the administration to make more $$ instead of being the best law school on the planet makes for a pretty misleading package.


funny how in the other thread it shows you lying about "picking" chicago. a quick look at your lsn shows you actually did want to attend CLS and HLS but you "chose" chicago.

let me get this straight. you admit that you "troll" for chicago and you use terms like "weaksauce' to describe HLS? also, you talk about things like chicago being good because of your wife not worrying about you flirting with other women? seriously? wow, just wow...

not sure if you know that applying and wanting to attend are not the same thing

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: T6

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:01 am

dontTazemeBrah wrote:a quick look at his post history shows he is chinese

Quit. Being. A. Douche.

dontTazemeBrah
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: T6

Postby dontTazemeBrah » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:02 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
dontTazemeBrah wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:I thought about not responding because I don't want to out myself. But, I can't stop myself.

First, I am not Chinese.

Second, I really do not deserve any crap because I decided to go to Chicago instead of the other schools where I was competitive. I am married and have a kid. Most of the top schools really aren't family friendly. Chicago is. We have friends and family at the school. It makes it really easy when you are a conservative married person to go to a school with a hugely disproportionate number of married conservative people. I enjoy Chicago for its "unique" student body. I can go through school and socialize with other married adults, non-hot people, shy/socially awkward people. It is like attending a magnet junior high school. My wife used to worry that I would flirt at school, until I brought her around campus and she met the girls and realized that there was no chance of me flirting in the world (not to say they are ugly, just that they are chill and respectful).

Third, I only troll for Chicago because it has paid my investment back BIG time. I hope other people can see what a great investment it is. From slightly above median I got 12 callbacks in 9 markets including McKinsey and some awesome V10s, and better offers than I could have really expected. I love my education, learning from Baird, Levmore, Posner, Posner Jr., Epstein, Easterbrook, Wood, Ginsburg, and others has been an incredible experience. The student body is funny, amiable, and pimp.

Fourth, I do not make "crazy" statements on this board. I've basically only said 3 things people haven't liked:

1) NYU is a very strong regional school, meaning that you should go to Columbia if you want CA, not NYU.

2) Harvard is weaksauce because they choose to hire a diluted academic faculty to accommodate their large class instead of a practitioner faculty like Columbia and NYU.

3) People underestimate how bad it is for bottom-half kids at Harvard because of the relative number of below-median kids. At Chicago most I know have a great job lined up. The ones that don't were screwed by bidding strategy or social skills. Anecdotally, I know people at NYU, Columbia, and Harvard that stand below median have had sucky prospects because their schools are churning out over twice the number of grads at Yale, Stanford, and Chicago. Every firm may want both a Chicago and Harvard kid (especially because Chicago has twice the number of partners per-capita as Harvard), but they may not want two Harvard kids and a Chicago kid. The combination of lay prestige and decision by the administration to make more $$ instead of being the best law school on the planet makes for a pretty misleading package.


funny how in the other thread it shows you lying about "picking" chicago. a quick look at your lsn shows you actually did want to attend CLS and HLS but you "chose" chicago.

let me get this straight. you admit that you "troll" for chicago and you use terms like "weaksauce' to describe HLS? also, you talk about things like chicago being good because of your wife not worrying about you flirting with other women? seriously? wow, just wow...

not sure if you know that applying and wanting to attend are not the same thing


not sure if you know but he specifically said he did not apply to other schools except chicago.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: T6

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:03 am

dontTazemeBrah wrote:a quick look at his post history shows he is chinese

So now you claim he's lying about his ethnicity? Your performance as a poster so far has been one distinguished by its retardation.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: T6

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:04 am

dontTazemeBrah wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
dontTazemeBrah wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:I thought about not responding because I don't want to out myself. But, I can't stop myself.

First, I am not Chinese.

Second, I really do not deserve any crap because I decided to go to Chicago instead of the other schools where I was competitive. I am married and have a kid. Most of the top schools really aren't family friendly. Chicago is. We have friends and family at the school. It makes it really easy when you are a conservative married person to go to a school with a hugely disproportionate number of married conservative people. I enjoy Chicago for its "unique" student body. I can go through school and socialize with other married adults, non-hot people, shy/socially awkward people. It is like attending a magnet junior high school. My wife used to worry that I would flirt at school, until I brought her around campus and she met the girls and realized that there was no chance of me flirting in the world (not to say they are ugly, just that they are chill and respectful).

Third, I only troll for Chicago because it has paid my investment back BIG time. I hope other people can see what a great investment it is. From slightly above median I got 12 callbacks in 9 markets including McKinsey and some awesome V10s, and better offers than I could have really expected. I love my education, learning from Baird, Levmore, Posner, Posner Jr., Epstein, Easterbrook, Wood, Ginsburg, and others has been an incredible experience. The student body is funny, amiable, and pimp.

Fourth, I do not make "crazy" statements on this board. I've basically only said 3 things people haven't liked:

1) NYU is a very strong regional school, meaning that you should go to Columbia if you want CA, not NYU.

2) Harvard is weaksauce because they choose to hire a diluted academic faculty to accommodate their large class instead of a practitioner faculty like Columbia and NYU.

3) People underestimate how bad it is for bottom-half kids at Harvard because of the relative number of below-median kids. At Chicago most I know have a great job lined up. The ones that don't were screwed by bidding strategy or social skills. Anecdotally, I know people at NYU, Columbia, and Harvard that stand below median have had sucky prospects because their schools are churning out over twice the number of grads at Yale, Stanford, and Chicago. Every firm may want both a Chicago and Harvard kid (especially because Chicago has twice the number of partners per-capita as Harvard), but they may not want two Harvard kids and a Chicago kid. The combination of lay prestige and decision by the administration to make more $$ instead of being the best law school on the planet makes for a pretty misleading package.


funny how in the other thread it shows you lying about "picking" chicago. a quick look at your lsn shows you actually did want to attend CLS and HLS but you "chose" chicago.

let me get this straight. you admit that you "troll" for chicago and you use terms like "weaksauce' to describe HLS? also, you talk about things like chicago being good because of your wife not worrying about you flirting with other women? seriously? wow, just wow...

not sure if you know that applying and wanting to attend are not the same thing


not sure if you know but he specifically said he did not apply to other schools except chicago.

I know his story is inconsistent, but saying that he was untruthful about applying is not the same as saying he wanted to attend either school
Last edited by JamMasterJ on Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

American_in_China
Posts: 308
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:19 pm

Re: T6

Postby American_in_China » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:06 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
dontTazemeBrah wrote:a quick look at his post history shows he is chinese

So now you claim he's lying about his ethnicity? Your performance as a poster so far has been one distinguished by its retardation.


His name is "donttazemebrah". Clearly he is here only to troll.

dontTazemeBrah
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: T6

Postby dontTazemeBrah » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:12 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
dontTazemeBrah wrote:a quick look at his post history shows he is chinese

So now you claim he's lying about his ethnicity? Your performance as a poster so far has been one distinguished by its retardation.


you are lulzy. i am sorry i told the truth about your school chicago kid. you should of been at cornell anyways so take a load off.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: T6

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:14 am

dontTazemeBrah wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
dontTazemeBrah wrote:a quick look at his post history shows he is chinese

So now you claim he's lying about his ethnicity? Your performance as a poster so far has been one distinguished by its retardation.


you are lulzy. i am sorry i told the truth about your school chicago kid. you should of been at cornell anyways so take a load off.
Image

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: T6

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:21 am

dontTazemeBrah wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
dontTazemeBrah wrote:a quick look at his post history shows he is chinese

So now you claim he's lying about his ethnicity? Your performance as a poster so far has been one distinguished by its retardation.


you are lulzy. i am sorry i told the truth about your school chicago kid. you should of been at cornell anyways so take a load off.

Yeah Bils! Get the fuck back to Ithaca where you belong!

dontTazemeBrah
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: T6

Postby dontTazemeBrah » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:22 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
dontTazemeBrah wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
dontTazemeBrah wrote:a quick look at his post history shows he is chinese

So now you claim he's lying about his ethnicity? Your performance as a poster so far has been one distinguished by its retardation.


you are lulzy. i am sorry i told the truth about your school chicago kid. you should of been at cornell anyways so take a load off.
Image


lol another meme you stole from another site? no wonder you scored sub 170 on the LSAT with your lack of insight and thought. enjoy chicago's "rigor"!

snehpets
Posts: 1143
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: T6

Postby snehpets » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:26 am

dontTazemeBrah wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
dontTazemeBrah wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:So now you claim he's lying about his ethnicity? Your performance as a poster so far has been one distinguished by its retardation.


you are lulzy. i am sorry i told the truth about your school chicago kid. you should of been at cornell anyways so take a load off.


lol another meme you stole from another site? no wonder you scored sub 170 on the LSAT with your lack of insight and thought. enjoy chicago's "rigor"!



I think that's kind of the point of memes. and by kind of i mean it is.

however, even though you're a troll i do kind of agree with the chicago thing with regard to SOME people. this thread also prompted taipei's description of the UChi atmosphere which helped me decide i don't want to go there. so, thanks?
Last edited by snehpets on Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: T6

Postby kaiser » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:27 am

dontTazemeBrah wrote:lol another meme you stole from another site? no wonder you scored sub 170 on the LSAT with your lack of insight and thought. enjoy chicago's "rigor"!


Wait, were expected to be making our own memes?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18414
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: T6

Postby bk1 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:28 am

kaiser wrote:
dontTazemeBrah wrote:lol another meme you stole from another site? no wonder you scored sub 170 on the LSAT with your lack of insight and thought. enjoy chicago's "rigor"!


Wait, were expected to be making our own memes?


Only the Chicago kids since copying them would be unrigorous.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: T6

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:30 am

bk1 wrote:
kaiser wrote:
dontTazemeBrah wrote:lol another meme you stole from another site? no wonder you scored sub 170 on the LSAT with your lack of insight and thought. enjoy chicago's "rigor"!


Wait, were expected to be making our own memes?


Only the Chicago kids since copying them would be unrigorous.

As the quintessential UChicago arch-conservative, I use my enormous wealth disparity to force laborers to craft memes for me at pennies on the dollar.

User avatar
TaipeiMort
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: T6

Postby TaipeiMort » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:32 am

Dudes. I am not Chinese/Asian. I planned to blanket all schools, applied to some, but decided I wanted to go to Chicago after visiting and evaluating what was best for my family. I think it is the best value for people with families out there. I was joking about the flirting comment-- I was just trying to inject some humor into what seems like a serious deal to you bros.

Now, back to the original discussion, I will elucidate it further because you guys don't seem to be getting what I am saying. Harvard could be the best school out there because of their awesome top-end faculty and upper job prospects, but instead chooses to hurt the bottom half and dilute their faculty to expand their alumni network. Their value proposition is Alumni $$, not tuition, which they probably don't break even on. By inflating the class size you get more future donors (bigger median and top) but you also get more people losing because of oversupply. The school also fills its faculty by buying unproven young academics from other schools, especially Columbia, Chicago, and Stanford. This effort is a strong tactical move, as it stomps out seedlings in other schools/competitors. However, it decreases actual educational quality because you are essentially unleashing unproven young academics on students. This effect will be worst on the pedagogical side, as it is harder to evaluate teaching skills than academic production. This approach is unique among the T6. NYU and Columbia apparently value educational quality more because they more carefully fill their academic ranks and instead bring in proven practicioners who enhance the school's legal education.

I'm guessing we are just miscommunicating. If you value a degree as being the lay prestige associated with it and top-of-the-curve opportunities, then Harvard is a great choice. If you value educational quality, insurance of safe job prospects at the median-to-bottom, or particular idiosyncratic fit issues (ie. the other five schools each seem to have a unique culture), then one of the other schools may be better.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18414
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: T6

Postby bk1 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:35 am

TaipeiMort wrote:Dudes. I am not Chinese/Asian.


Your username has "Taipei" in it. You must be lying.

snehpets
Posts: 1143
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: T6

Postby snehpets » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:35 am

TaipeiMort wrote:Dudes. I am not Chinese/Asian. I planned to blanket all schools, applied to some, but decided I wanted to go to Chicago after visiting and evaluating what was best for my family. I think it is the best value for people with families out there. I was joking about the flirting comment-- I was just trying to inject some humor into what seems like a serious deal to you bros.

Now, back to the original discussion, I will elucidate it further because you guys don't seem to be getting what I am saying. Harvard could be the best school out there because of their awesome top-end faculty and upper job prospects, but instead chooses to hurt the bottom half and dilute their faculty to expand their alumni network. Their value proposition is Alumni $$, not tuition, which they probably don't break even on. By inflating the class size you get more future donors (bigger median and top) but you also get more people losing because of oversupply. The school also fills its faculty by buying unproven young academics from other schools, especially Columbia, Chicago, and Stanford. This effort is a strong tactical move, as it stomps out seedlings in other schools/competitors. However, it decreases actual educational quality because you are essentially unleashing unproven young academics on students. This effect will be worst on the pedagogical side, as it is harder to evaluate teaching skills than academic production. This approach is unique among the T6. NYU and Columbia apparently value educational quality more because they more carefully fill their academic ranks and instead bring in proven practicioners who enhance the school's legal education.

I'm guessing we are just miscommunicating. If you value a degree as being the lay prestige associated with it and top-of-the-curve opportunities, then Harvard is a great choice. If you value educational quality, insurance of safe job prospects at the median-to-bottom, or particular idiosyncratic fit issues (ie. the other five schools each seem to have a unique culture), then one of the other schools may be better.


I feel bad, because posts like this make sense on some level and are somewhat reasonable but all the past chicago trolling in your post history will probably obscure that. i actually kind of see your point. i have no idea if you're pulling this stuff out of your ass though.
Last edited by snehpets on Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: T6

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:40 am

bk1 wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:Dudes. I am not Chinese/Asian.


Your username has "Taipei" in it. You must be lying.

It also has "Mort" in it. Which leads me to believe that TapeiMort is:

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
TaipeiMort
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: T6

Postby TaipeiMort » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:44 am

snehpets wrote:however, even though you're a troll i do kind of agree with the chicago thing with regard to SOME people. this thread also prompted taipei's description of the UChi atmosphere which helped me decide i don't want to go there. so, thanks?


Dude just go to NYU. The rigor/asperger stereotypes about Chicago are fake though. There is a large single-bar-review contingent that is probably more pronounced because of subsidized alcohol, low cost of living, freezing cold temperatures, and 60% of the single 1Ls living in one building.

User avatar
TaipeiMort
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: T6

Postby TaipeiMort » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:44 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
bk1 wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:Dudes. I am not Chinese/Asian.


Your username has "Taipei" in it. You must be lying.

It also has "Mort" in it. Which leads me to believe that TapeiMort is:

--ImageRemoved--


Not cool. I'm telling the Mods you outed me.

snehpets
Posts: 1143
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: T6

Postby snehpets » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:49 am

TaipeiMort wrote:
snehpets wrote:however, even though you're a troll i do kind of agree with the chicago thing with regard to SOME people. this thread also prompted taipei's description of the UChi atmosphere which helped me decide i don't want to go there. so, thanks?


Dude just go to NYU. The rigor/asperger stereotypes about Chicago are fake though. There is a large single-bar-review contingent that is probably more pronounced because of subsidized alcohol, low cost of living, freezing cold temperatures, and 60% of the single 1Ls living in one building.


Haha, to be honest I was just being silly for the most part. I don't think Chicago is some kind of wasteland of insanely rigorous academics. I don't think it's a bad place at all, it just didn't sound what I wanted (not because it's "rigorous" or whatever people slam it for, it just sounds a lot like my undergrad atmosphere and I would like a change). Honestly, I doubt many people here would claim anything bad about UChi (it's obviously a really good school) if you didn't campaign so strongly for it. That's TLS for you, haha.

User avatar
TaipeiMort
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: T6

Postby TaipeiMort » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:51 am

snehpets wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:Dudes. I am not Chinese/Asian. I planned to blanket all schools, applied to some, but decided I wanted to go to Chicago after visiting and evaluating what was best for my family. I think it is the best value for people with families out there. I was joking about the flirting comment-- I was just trying to inject some humor into what seems like a serious deal to you bros.

Now, back to the original discussion, I will elucidate it further because you guys don't seem to be getting what I am saying. Harvard could be the best school out there because of their awesome top-end faculty and upper job prospects, but instead chooses to hurt the bottom half and dilute their faculty to expand their alumni network. Their value proposition is Alumni $$, not tuition, which they probably don't break even on. By inflating the class size you get more future donors (bigger median and top) but you also get more people losing because of oversupply. The school also fills its faculty by buying unproven young academics from other schools, especially Columbia, Chicago, and Stanford. This effort is a strong tactical move, as it stomps out seedlings in other schools/competitors. However, it decreases actual educational quality because you are essentially unleashing unproven young academics on students. This effect will be worst on the pedagogical side, as it is harder to evaluate teaching skills than academic production. This approach is unique among the T6. NYU and Columbia apparently value educational quality more because they more carefully fill their academic ranks and instead bring in proven practicioners who enhance the school's legal education.

I'm guessing we are just miscommunicating. If you value a degree as being the lay prestige associated with it and top-of-the-curve opportunities, then Harvard is a great choice. If you value educational quality, insurance of safe job prospects at the median-to-bottom, or particular idiosyncratic fit issues (ie. the other five schools each seem to have a unique culture), then one of the other schools may be better.


I feel bad, because posts like this make sense on some level and are somewhat reasonable but all the past chicago trolling in your post history will probably obscure that. i actually kind of see your point. i have no idea if you're pulling this stuff out of your ass though.


Edit. I've probably outed myself too much. Its not like Harvard is a sucky school though. I think if I had actually been admitted before committing to Chicago and not having had the experiences I've had now, I'd probably have gone to Harvard and been pretty happy.
Last edited by TaipeiMort on Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests