T6 Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
ahnhub

Silver

Re: T6

Post by ahnhub » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:38 pm

I mean, it's not a ridiculous question because presumably firms aren't planning on taking twice as many CLS or NYU students than Chicago students and so it impacts results that way. But in reality, I think that's just an argument for attending the smaller school.
Smaller schools may have a slight advantage in this regard, but bigger schools have bigger alumni networks.

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:59 pm

The arbitrary categories that people make on these boards (excluding T14 and HYS which are meaningful IMO) have almost zero effect on your individual job placement.

Some individual schools place better in big law, clerkships, and public interest but NYU is not closer to Chicago than it is to Virginia or Penn in any discernible way that should have an effect on you choosing to attend one over the other.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:03 pm

shoeshine wrote:The arbitrary categories that people make on these boards (excluding T14 and HYS which are meaningful IMO) have almost zero effect on your individual job placement.

Some individual schools place better in big law, clerkships, and public interest but NYU is not closer to Chicago than it is to Virginia or Penn in any discernible way that should have an effect on you choosing to attend one over the other.
The tiers were established reflecting admissions difficulty. Now that we are as much a jobs board as an admissions board there is come conflating of terms.

ahnhub

Silver

Post by ahnhub » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:45 pm

Chicago: 74%
Stanford: 73%
Columbia: 73%
Penn: 71%
Harvard: 71%

Yale: 67%
Northwestern: 67%
NYU: 66%
Virginia: 65%
Duke: 64%
Cornell: 64%
Michigan: 62%
Berkeley: 60%
Georgetown: 50%
So do people really believe Penn is essentially the same as Harvard when it comes to job prospects? Because their choices don't reflect it--95% of applicants would pick Harvard over Penn in a heartbeat, even if Penn offered $$.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:51 pm

ahnhub wrote:
Chicago: 74%
Stanford: 73%
Columbia: 73%
Penn: 71%
Harvard: 71%

Yale: 67%
Northwestern: 67%
NYU: 66%
Virginia: 65%
Duke: 64%
Cornell: 64%
Michigan: 62%
Berkeley: 60%
Georgetown: 50%
So do people really believe Penn is essentially the same as Harvard when it comes to job prospects? Because their choices don't reflect it--95% of applicants would pick Harvard over Penn in a heartbeat, even if Penn offered $$.
HLS has better opportunities within the range of firms we are talking about. Clerkships, highly regarded firms, prestigious PI... That said, median at HLS and median at Michigan are likely to find themselves at the same firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mrloblaw

Silver

Post by mrloblaw » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:57 pm

More relevant question: when UT inevitably passes Georgetown completely, does it become a T15? Does the number keep getting bigger as more schools inevitably pass up Georgetttown ad infinitum?

Gecko of Doom

Bronze

Post by Gecko of Doom » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:13 am

mrloblaw wrote:More relevant question: when UT inevitably passes Georgetown completely, does it become a T15? Does the number keep getting bigger as more schools inevitably pass up Georgetttown ad infinitum?
kaiser wrote:I'm pretty sure we changed it to T13 like the day the rankings came out earlier this year

ahnhub

Silver

Post by ahnhub » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:14 am

Schools which seem to receive a lot of love on TLS: Michigan, Columbia, Northwestern
Schools which seem to receive an inordinate amount of hate: Georgetown, Cornell, Berkeley
School no one seems to care about: Chicago
School everyone has trouble pigeon-holing: NYU

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:26 am

ahnhub wrote:Schools which seem to receive a lot of love on TLS: Michigan, Columbia, Northwestern
Schools which seem to receive an inordinate amount of hate: Georgetown, Cornell, Berkeley
Yeah, I think NYU needs a bit more time as it builds up a national reputation. Unlike some of the other top schools, it wasn't always quite so high ranked. Its ability to form some roots across the country is still developing. Self-selection will always lead the vast majority to stay in NYC, so that will always work against the ability to develop national reputation as quickly. But it certainly seems like its in the right direction. I know people who had no trouble getting interviews at some of the best CA, Chicago, DC firms, etc, so its not like the school only carries weight in NYC. Its true that most lawyers don't keep up on the rankings from year to year to see minute changes, but they seemed to know in general which schools are among the highest ranked, and they knew that NYU fell within that group.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:31 am

kaiser wrote:
ahnhub wrote:Schools which seem to receive a lot of love on TLS: Michigan, Columbia, Northwestern
Yeah, I think NYU needs a bit more time as it builds up a national reputation. Unlike some of the other top schools, it wasn't always quite so high ranked. Its ability to form some roots across the country is still developing. Self-selection will always lead the vast majority to stay in NYC, so that will always work against the ability to develop national reputation as quickly. But it certainly seems like its in the right direction. I know people who had no trouble getting interviews at some of the best CA, Chicago, DC firms, etc, so its not like the school only carries weight in NYC. Its true that most lawyers don't keep up on the rankings from year to year to see minute changes, but they seemed to know in general which schools are among the highest ranked, and they knew that NYU fell within that group.
I mean, it's been ranked where it is right now for like 20+ years. Sure, it was lower than that before, but if we have developed a national reputation after being in this position for 20+ years, it's unlikely to get that much better...

Also, this is a stupid conversation. I don't know why I even commented.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:34 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
kaiser wrote:
I mean, it's been ranked where it is right now for like 20+ years. Sure, it was lower than that before, but if we have developed a national reputation after being in this position for 20+ years, it's unlikely to get that much better...

Also, this is a stupid conversation. I don't know why I even commented.
I mean, I think is has developed a national reputation. This whole "people don't know it outside of NY" seems like a TLS-based thing. I can point to a person working in pretty much every corner of the country, and they all said that they got serious looks based on the school name alone, before they even got into grades, work experience. I am NYC-based, but I was getting mass-mail requests from firms in a bunch of cities (who only started responding once I transferred to NYU). So I don't see where the "it doesn't carry outside of NY" argument comes from.

dontTazemeBrah

New

Post by dontTazemeBrah » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:47 am

TaipeiMort wrote:T5 is established. NYU is no different than Penn or Cornell, save for its strong placement in the largest legal market.

The only reason there is a T6 distinction is because Chicago refused to adjust its per-student spending calculated for US News until two years ago to be in line with its piers.

I think NYU is a better deal than most of the T14s because the NYC market is so big.
dude you are a joke kid. you are the same guy who keeps arguing on this board that chicago is better than harvard. i am glad you love chicago but you need to stop your delusional rants. i would give others a pass since they are just joking or flaming, but you actually believe chicago is so above everything else. you need to get your head checked. i am sorry but ive been on this board for a while and i know you didn't choose chicago. that was the only t6 you had a shot at getting into.

TaipeiMort

Silver

Post by TaipeiMort » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:03 am

dontTazemeBrah wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:T5 is established. NYU is no different than Penn or Cornell, save for its strong placement in the largest legal market.

The only reason there is a T6 distinction is because Chicago refused to adjust its per-student spending calculated for US News until two years ago to be in line with its piers.

I think NYU is a better deal than most of the T14s because the NYC market is so big.
dude you are a joke kid. you are the same guy who keeps arguing on this board that chicago is better than harvard. i am glad you love chicago but you need to stop your delusional rants. i would give others a pass since they are just joking or flaming, but you actually believe chicago is so above everything else. you need to get your head checked. i am sorry but ive been on this board for a while and i know you didn't choose chicago. that was the only t6 you had a shot at getting into.
Broski. I attended Chicago because I am a fiscal conservative with an economics background, wanted to attend a small school, and have a lot of personal connections to the school. I didn't want to attend the other schools and am not sure if I would have been admitted or not. However, I think I would have been competitive.

Chicago isn't better than the other T6 schools. There are good reasons to attend each. I just don't personally prefer Harvard because of the diluted faculty due to the large class size (unlike Columbia and NYU who bring in practitioners to accommodate huge classes, H brings in less-renowned/pedagogically weak professors), as well as the less-than-stellar placement of the bottom part of the class due to the surplus of Harvard grads. Fix this and Harvard is better than Yale.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:42 am

Gecko of Doom wrote:
mrloblaw wrote:More relevant question: when UT inevitably passes Georgetown completely, does it become a T15? Does the number keep getting bigger as more schools inevitably pass up Georgetttown ad infinitum?
kaiser wrote:I'm pretty sure we changed it to T13 like the day the rankings came out earlier this year
I think T13's been a thing for longer than that

dontTazemeBrah

New

Post by dontTazemeBrah » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:43 am

TaipeiMort wrote:
dontTazemeBrah wrote:

Broski. I attended Chicago because I am a fiscal conservative with an economics background, wanted to attend a small school, and have a lot of personal connections to the school. I didn't want to attend the other schools and am not sure if I would have been admitted or not. However, I think I would have been competitive.

Chicago isn't better than the other T6 schools. There are good reasons to attend each. I just don't personally prefer Harvard because of the diluted faculty due to the large class size (unlike Columbia and NYU who bring in practitioners to accommodate huge classes, H brings in less-renowned/pedagogically weak professors), as well as the less-than-stellar placement of the bottom part of the class due to the surplus of Harvard grads. Fix this and Harvard is better than Yale.
wow mr. delusional strikes again. i am sorry but most ppl don't pick schools based on family friendliness, conservative presence, and whatever the fuck diversity of opinion is. i am sure you "chose" chicago based on the "rigor" it offered.

no matter how many times you repeat it, chicago is not better than harvard you clown. are you mad that you are chinese and the chinese think of harvard as way better than chicago? why do you keep embarrassing yourself by spouting this nonsense every month on here? trust me bud, whoever tells you they picked chicago over harvard is lying. btw, your 171 would have been competitive.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:46 am

dontTazemeBrah wrote:trust me bud, whoever tells you they picked chicago over harvard is lying
A lot of people chose Chicago over Harvard.

Gold

Post by 062914123 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:46 am

Last edited by 062914123 on Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mrloblaw

Silver

Post by mrloblaw » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:27 am

Helmholtz wrote:
dontTazemeBrah wrote:trust me bud, whoever tells you they picked chicago over harvard is lying
A lot of people chose Chicago over Harvard.
Murder rate in Cambridge, MA too low for them?

American_in_China

Bronze

Post by American_in_China » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:56 am

bee wrote:
dontTazemeBrah wrote:no matter how many times you repeat it, chicago is not better than harvard you clown. are you mad that you are chinese and the chinese think of harvard as way better than chicago? why do you keep embarrassing yourself by spouting this nonsense every month on here? trust me bud, whoever tells you they picked chicago over harvard is lying. btw, your 171 would have been competitive.
Lol what is this I don't even...
Lol what? They also think BU is better than Brown.

anstone1988

New

Post by anstone1988 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:14 am

School no one that only TaipeiMort seems to care about: Chicago
FTFY

JDizzle2015

Silver

Post by JDizzle2015 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:54 pm

bee wrote:
dontTazemeBrah wrote:no matter how many times you repeat it, chicago is not better than harvard you clown. are you mad that you are chinese and the chinese think of harvard as way better than chicago? why do you keep embarrassing yourself by spouting this nonsense every month on here? trust me bud, whoever tells you they picked chicago over harvard is lying. btw, your 171 would have been competitive.
+1... the hell does that mean?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:02 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:
bee wrote:
+1... the hell does that mean?
You really don't understand what he is saying? Maybe its because so many of my friends are Indian that I understand completely. Here is an example. I have an Indian friend who was studying business at University of Pittsburgh, which is certainly a good school. But his family back in India wasn't enamored with the prestige and "name" of the school, and encouraged him to switch to another school. He transferred to a school with more of a brand name, but a WORSE business program, solely because his parents wanted him attending a school with a name they could use to impress others.

I could totally see a Chinese kid in my town getting nothing but scorn from his parents for picking a school that simply isn't a brand name as far as lay prestige goes. Doesn't matter if it is ranked close to Harvard. The name isn't the same in their community, and that matters to them.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:08 pm

kaiser wrote:
You really don't understand what he is saying? Maybe its because so many of my friends are Indian that I understand completely. Here is an example. I have an Indian friend who was studying business at University of Pittsburgh, which is certainly a good school. But his family back in India wasn't enamored with the prestige and "name" of the school, and encouraged him to switch to another school. He transferred to a school with more of a brand name, but a WORSE business program, solely because his parents wanted him attending a school with a name they could use to impress others.

I could totally see a Chinese kid in my town getting nothing but scorn from his parents for picking a school that simply isn't a brand name as far as lay prestige goes. Doesn't matter if it is ranked close to Harvard. The name isn't the same in their community, and that matters to them.
Well, Tazemebrah's posts are weird for other reasons, too: 1. he mad (why he so mad though?) and 2. he just assumes TaipeiMost is Chinese and makes a whole post about it. Plus, it's just generally weird when people make accusations based on race/ethnicity.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:14 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
kaiser wrote:

Well, Tazemebrah's posts are weird for other reasons, too: 1. he mad (why he so mad though?) and 2. he just assumes TaipeiMost is Chinese and makes a whole post about it. Plus, it's just generally weird when people make accusations based on race/ethnicity.
Plus there's the whole posting the same thing in two different threads 10 minutes apart in response to the same poster thing:

This thread:
dontTazemeBrah wrote:
wow mr. delusional strikes again. i am sorry but most ppl don't pick schools based on family friendliness, conservative presence, and whatever the fuck diversity of opinion is. i am sure you "chose" chicago based on the "rigor" it offered.

no matter how many times you repeat it, chicago is not better than harvard you clown. are you mad that you are chinese and the chinese think of harvard as way better than chicago? why do you keep embarrassing yourself by spouting this nonsense every month on here? trust me bud, whoever tells you they picked chicago over harvard is lying. btw, your 171 would have been competitive.
"gap between HYS and CCN" thread:
dontTazemeBrah wrote: wow mr. delusional strikes again. i am sorry but most ppl don't pick schools based on family friendliness, conservative presence, and whatever the fuck diversity of opinion is. i am sure you "chose" chicago based on the "rigor" it offered.

no matter how many times you repeat it, chicago is not better than harvard you clown. are you mad that you are chinese and the chinese think of harvard as way better than chicago? why do you keep embarrassing yourself by spouting this nonsense every month on here? trust me bud, whoever tells you they picked chicago over harvard is lying.

Na_Swatch

Bronze

Post by Na_Swatch » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:34 pm

Yeah kaiser is going overboard here but his general point is true... Taipeimort please rein in the Chicago hyperbole ur making me sad looking at exaggerations paired with my favorite city (and picture of taipei101).

While I agree that Chicago is an amazing school and you could arguably pick it as your num #1 out of the t6, the fact is your tone about it has drastically shifted after you attended. I remember you legitimately applied to at least to H (and maybe S, not sure) back in the day and talked about really wanting to go there... Now you've seemed to selectively edited past events. Anyways it's fine to defend your school but if you're repping Taiwan make us look good.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”