T6

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
jellybean8
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:01 pm

T6

Postby jellybean8 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:46 pm

I was just wondering.. I understand the whole T14 concept, but recently I've been seeing a LOT about T6. Is there an inherent difference between 6/7/is it a well-established "tier"? It just seems sort of an arbitrary cut-off to me (right now).

Thanks!

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: T6

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:47 pm

T6 is just a shorthand people use to refer to the truly elite law schools and NYU.

:P

luthersloan
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 6:43 pm

Re: T6

Postby luthersloan » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:57 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:T6 is just a shorthand people use to refer to the truly elite law schools and NYU.

:P


Man, there is a lot of NYU hating going on these boards. Then again I am an unemployed NYU 3L so I am not really sure I disagree.

iamrobk
Posts: 485
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: T6

Postby iamrobk » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:00 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:T6 is just a shorthand people use to refer to the truly elite law schools and NYU.

:P

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurn.

But really, it's somewhat commonly accepted that Columbia, Chicago, and NYU are the next "tier" after HYS, which are then followed by Michigan, Virginia, and Penn (and Berkeley too sometimes), and then the rest of the T14. To be completely honest I don't think CCN are THAT much better than MVP, but I do think the schools after them start to drop off a bit.

lawschoolgrapedme
Posts: 205
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:12 pm

Re: T6

Postby lawschoolgrapedme » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:03 pm

iamrobk wrote: I don't think CCN are THAT much better than MVP, but I do think the schools after them start to drop off a bit.


Says the guy who goes to MVP...

and in the case of me, says the guy who goes to CCN.

jellybean8
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:01 pm

Re: T6

Postby jellybean8 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:22 am

Yeah I'm pretty set on NYU right now, but I'm still waiting to hear back from Penn. So I was mostly asking out of curiosity-sake, not for insight into my actual decision-making, haha

Thanks for your responses!

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: T6

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:56 am

jellybean8 wrote:Yeah I'm pretty set on NYU right now, but I'm still waiting to hear back from Penn. So I was mostly asking out of curiosity-sake, not for insight into my actual decision-making, haha

Thanks for your responses!


FWIW, I think that Penn is on the highest end of MVP and NYU is on the lowest end of T6. Not like you'd be crazy to do Penn over NYU, but I guess that's all still hypothetical.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: T6

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:01 am

Helmholtz wrote:
jellybean8 wrote:Yeah I'm pretty set on NYU right now, but I'm still waiting to hear back from Penn. So I was mostly asking out of curiosity-sake, not for insight into my actual decision-making, haha

Thanks for your responses!


FWIW, I think that Penn is on the highest end of MVP and NYU is on the lowest end of T6. Not like you'd be crazy to do Penn over NYU, but I guess that's all still hypothetical.

I'd pick NYU over Penn if the money is similar or somehow in NYUs favor, but yeah, Penn with $$ is a definite option worth considering over NYU at sticker

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: T6

Postby Renzo » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:47 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:T6 is just a shorthand people use to refer to the truly elite law schools and NYU.

:P


Best NYU burn I've seen on this board yet :D

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: T6

Postby kaiser » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:52 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
jellybean8 wrote:Yeah I'm pretty set on NYU right now, but I'm still waiting to hear back from Penn. So I was mostly asking out of curiosity-sake, not for insight into my actual decision-making, haha

Thanks for your responses!


FWIW, I think that Penn is on the highest end of MVP and NYU is on the lowest end of T6. Not like you'd be crazy to do Penn over NYU, but I guess that's all still hypothetical.


True. When I was transferring, my choices were Penn or NYU, and it wasn't a 100% sure thing that you just go with the CCN over the MVP because NYU and Penn are very close in the most important metrics to me. It was more that I live much closer to NY, and wanted to be in NYC after graduation that made NYU the more logical choice. But there were a number of arguments to be made for picking Penn.

User avatar
JDizzle2015
Posts: 638
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:16 pm

Re: T6

Postby JDizzle2015 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:25 pm

kaiser wrote:True. When I was transferring, my choices were Penn or NYU, and it wasn't a 100% sure thing that you just go with the CCN over the MVP because NYU and Penn are very close in the most important metrics to me. It was more that I live much closer to NY, and wanted to be in NYC after graduation that made NYU the more logical choice. But there were a number of arguments to be made for picking Penn.

I'm curious as to what are some arguments for picking Penn over NYU. Government, possibly?

User avatar
Detrox
Posts: 411
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:58 pm

Re: T6

Postby Detrox » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:56 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:
kaiser wrote:True. When I was transferring, my choices were Penn or NYU, and it wasn't a 100% sure thing that you just go with the CCN over the MVP because NYU and Penn are very close in the most important metrics to me. It was more that I live much closer to NY, and wanted to be in NYC after graduation that made NYU the more logical choice. But there were a number of arguments to be made for picking Penn.

I'm curious as to what are some arguments for picking Penn over NYU. Government, possibly?


Because of how great the Philadelphia legal market is compared to New York. Less competition you know? ...

User avatar
JDizzle2015
Posts: 638
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:16 pm

Re: T6

Postby JDizzle2015 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:14 pm

Detrox wrote:Because of how great the Philadelphia legal market is compared to New York. Less competition you know? ...

Does local market really play that big of a factor in CCN/MVP? I was under the assumption that a good chunk of Penn grads end up bidding in NY as well.

So far, the only tangible plus at Penn over NYU I've been able to find is the possibility of a JD/MBA from Wharton if you want to go into M&A but I'd be interested in other factors that might not be so obvious.

ETA: Typo.
Last edited by JDizzle2015 on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jellybean8
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:01 pm

Re: T6

Postby jellybean8 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:34 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:
Detrox wrote:Because of how great the Philadelphia legal market is compared to New York. Less competition you know? ...

Does local market really play that big of a factor in CCN/MVP? I was under the assumption that a good chuck of Penn grads end up bidding in NY as well.

So far, the only tangible plus at Penn over NYU I've been able to find is the possibility of a JD/MBA from Wharton if you want to go into M&A but I'd be interested in other factors that might not be so obvious.


One of the factors I found most appealing is their JD/MA (in Criminology).. but I feel like that's not especially common.

User avatar
quiver
Posts: 864
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: T6

Postby quiver » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:49 pm

I think NYU has a large edge on SCOTUS clerkships over Penn. As if that stat means anything.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: T6

Postby bdubs » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:58 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:
Detrox wrote:Because of how great the Philadelphia legal market is compared to New York. Less competition you know? ...

Does local market really play that big of a factor in CCN/MVP? I was under the assumption that a good chunk of Penn grads end up bidding in NY as well.

So far, the only tangible plus at Penn over NYU I've been able to find is the possibility of a JD/MBA from Wharton if you want to go into M&A but I'd be interested in other factors that might not be so obvious.

ETA: Typo.


The biggest reason to pick Penn over NYU would have to be scholarship $$. The JD/MBA should really only be a consideration if you actually have the background to have a realistic shot at getting in to Wharton. Veyron (Penn 2L) says they have a lower bar for 1L transfers into the program, but I doubt that the bar is low enough to warrant choosing the school based on that potential when you wouldn't have a shot without being a 1L.

User avatar
JDizzle2015
Posts: 638
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:16 pm

Re: T6

Postby JDizzle2015 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:13 pm

bdubs wrote:The biggest reason to pick Penn over NYU would have to be scholarship $$. The JD/MBA should really only be a consideration if you actually have the background to have a realistic shot at getting in to Wharton. Veyron (Penn 2L) says they have a lower bar for 1L transfers into the program, but I doubt that the bar is low enough to warrant choosing the school based on that potential when you wouldn't have a shot without being a 1L.

This is good information. Thanks!

OP, sorry for hijacking your thread. Don't mind me... I'll start a new thread when the time comes.
Last edited by JDizzle2015 on Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: T6

Postby birdlaw117 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:18 pm

quiver wrote:I think NYU has a large edge on SCOTUS clerkships over Penn. As if that stat means anything.

I have no idea if this is true, but that is a ridiculous stat to look at to determine the worth of a school. The chances are so incredibly remote it's absurd.

Also, this was well done:
Bildungsroman wrote:T6 is just a shorthand people use to refer to the truly elite law schools and NYU.

:P

User avatar
quiver
Posts: 864
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: T6

Postby quiver » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:55 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
quiver wrote:I think NYU has a large edge on SCOTUS clerkships over Penn. As if that stat means anything.

I have no idea if this is true, but that is a ridiculous stat to look at to determine the worth of a school. The chances are so incredibly remote it's absurd.
Exactly, hence why I said:
quiver wrote:As if that stat means anything.
Just pointing out some differences.

User avatar
TaipeiMort
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: T6

Postby TaipeiMort » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:09 pm

T5 is established. NYU is no different than Penn or Cornell, save for its strong placement in the largest legal market.

The only reason there is a T6 distinction is because Chicago refused to adjust its per-student spending calculated for US News until two years ago to be in line with its piers.

I think NYU is a better deal than most of the T14s because the NYC market is so big.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: T6

Postby 071816 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:15 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:T5 is established. NYU is no different than Penn or Cornell, save for its strong placement in the largest legal market.

The only reason there is a T6 distinction is because Chicago refused to adjust its per-student spending calculated for US News until two years ago to be in line with its piers.

I think NYU is a better deal than most of the T14s because the NYC market is so big.


--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: T6

Postby IAFG » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:16 pm

In the down economy, NYC was still hiring when Chicago, Atlanta, Philly, Florida, California, etc fell the fuck off. That helped Penn and NYU distinguish themselves since their grads were still getting a few jobs. If the economy is recovering, it might not make sense to favor them as much anymore.

As for the tiers, as I've said many times before, all the T14 has surprisingly similar placement into market-paying work.

anstone1988
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:04 pm

Re: T6

Postby anstone1988 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:27 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:T5HYS is established. NYU is no different than Penn or CornellChicago or Columbia.


FTFY

User avatar
TaipeiMort
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: T6

Postby TaipeiMort » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:58 pm

chimp wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:T5 is established. NYU is no different than Penn or Cornell, save for its strong placement in the largest legal market.

The only reason there is a T6 distinction is because Chicago refused to adjust its per-student spending calculated for US News until two years ago to be in line with its piers.

I think NYU is a better deal than most of the T14s because the NYC market is so big.


--ImageRemoved--


Dude. I was typing on my cell phone, which corrects everything incorrectly.

And to that other person trying to claim that Columbia and Chicago are closer to NYU: You are a liar.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: T6

Postby birdlaw117 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:15 am

TaipeiMort wrote:
chimp wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:T5 is established. NYU is no different than Penn or Cornell, save for its strong placement in the largest legal market.

The only reason there is a T6 distinction is because Chicago refused to adjust its per-student spending calculated for US News until two years ago to be in line with its piers.

I think NYU is a better deal than most of the T14s because the NYC market is so big.


--ImageRemoved--


Dude. I was typing on my cell phone, which corrects everything incorrectly.

And to that other person trying to claim that Columbia and Chicago are closer to NYU: You are a liar.

Okay, iPhone corrects based on letter proximity, not homonyms. You screwed up. It was funny. No big deal. You don't have to make up excuses.

And NYU is between CC and MVP, idk which it's necessarily closer to though.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests