T6

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
jellybean8

T6

Postby jellybean8 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:46 pm

I was just wondering.. I understand the whole T14 concept, but recently I've been seeing a LOT about T6. Is there an inherent difference between 6/7/is it a well-established "tier"? It just seems sort of an arbitrary cut-off to me (right now).

Thanks!

Bildungsroman

Re: T6

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:47 pm

T6 is just a shorthand people use to refer to the truly elite law schools and NYU.

:P

luthersloan

Postby luthersloan » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:57 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:T6 is just a shorthand people use to refer to the truly elite law schools and NYU.

Man, there is a lot of NYU hating going on these boards. Then again I am an unemployed NYU 3L so I am not really sure I disagree.

iamrobk

Postby iamrobk » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:00 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:T6 is just a shorthand people use to refer to the truly elite law schools and NYU.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurn.

But really, it's somewhat commonly accepted that Columbia, Chicago, and NYU are the next "tier" after HYS, which are then followed by Michigan, Virginia, and Penn (and Berkeley too sometimes), and then the rest of the T14. To be completely honest I don't think CCN are THAT much better than MVP, but I do think the schools after them start to drop off a bit.

lawschoolgrapedme

Postby lawschoolgrapedme » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:03 pm

iamrobk wrote: I don't think CCN are THAT much better than MVP, but I do think the schools after them start to drop off a bit.

Says the guy who goes to MVP...

and in the case of me, says the guy who goes to CCN.

jellybean8

Postby jellybean8 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:22 am

Yeah I'm pretty set on NYU right now, but I'm still waiting to hear back from Penn. So I was mostly asking out of curiosity-sake, not for insight into my actual decision-making, haha

Thanks for your responses!

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:56 am

jellybean8 wrote:Yeah I'm pretty set on NYU right now, but I'm still waiting to hear back from Penn. So I was mostly asking out of curiosity-sake, not for insight into my actual decision-making, haha

FWIW, I think that Penn is on the highest end of MVP and NYU is on the lowest end of T6. Not like you'd be crazy to do Penn over NYU, but I guess that's all still hypothetical.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:01 am

Helmholtz wrote:
jellybean8 wrote:Yeah I'm pretty set on NYU right now, but I'm still waiting to hear back from Penn. So I was mostly asking out of curiosity-sake, not for insight into my actual decision-making, haha

FWIW, I think that Penn is on the highest end of MVP and NYU is on the lowest end of T6. Not like you'd be crazy to do Penn over NYU, but I guess that's all still hypothetical.

I'd pick NYU over Penn if the money is similar or somehow in NYUs favor, but yeah, Penn with $$ is a definite option worth considering over NYU at sticker

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:47 pm

Best NYU burn I've seen on this board yet :D

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:52 pm

Helmholtz wrote:

True. When I was transferring, my choices were Penn or NYU, and it wasn't a 100% sure thing that you just go with the CCN over the MVP because NYU and Penn are very close in the most important metrics to me. It was more that I live much closer to NY, and wanted to be in NYC after graduation that made NYU the more logical choice. But there were a number of arguments to be made for picking Penn.

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:25 pm

kaiser wrote:True. When I was transferring, my choices were Penn or NYU, and it wasn't a 100% sure thing that you just go with the CCN over the MVP because NYU and Penn are very close in the most important metrics to me. It was more that I live much closer to NY, and wanted to be in NYC after graduation that made NYU the more logical choice. But there were a number of arguments to be made for picking Penn.

I'm curious as to what are some arguments for picking Penn over NYU. Government, possibly?

Detrox

Postby Detrox » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:56 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:
kaiser wrote:True. When I was transferring, my choices were Penn or NYU, and it wasn't a 100% sure thing that you just go with the CCN over the MVP because NYU and Penn are very close in the most important metrics to me. It was more that I live much closer to NY, and wanted to be in NYC after graduation that made NYU the more logical choice. But there were a number of arguments to be made for picking Penn.

I'm curious as to what are some arguments for picking Penn over NYU. Government, possibly?

Because of how great the Philadelphia legal market is compared to New York. Less competition you know? ...

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:14 pm

Detrox wrote:Because of how great the Philadelphia legal market is compared to New York. Less competition you know? ...

Does local market really play that big of a factor in CCN/MVP? I was under the assumption that a good chunk of Penn grads end up bidding in NY as well.

So far, the only tangible plus at Penn over NYU I've been able to find is the possibility of a JD/MBA from Wharton if you want to go into M&A but I'd be interested in other factors that might not be so obvious.

ETA: Typo.
Last edited by JDizzle2015 on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jellybean8

Postby jellybean8 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:34 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:
Detrox wrote:Because of how great the Philadelphia legal market is compared to New York. Less competition you know? ...

Does local market really play that big of a factor in CCN/MVP? I was under the assumption that a good chuck of Penn grads end up bidding in NY as well.

So far, the only tangible plus at Penn over NYU I've been able to find is the possibility of a JD/MBA from Wharton if you want to go into M&A but I'd be interested in other factors that might not be so obvious.

One of the factors I found most appealing is their JD/MA (in Criminology).. but I feel like that's not especially common.

quiver

Postby quiver » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:49 pm

I think NYU has a large edge on SCOTUS clerkships over Penn. As if that stat means anything.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:58 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:

Does local market really play that big of a factor in CCN/MVP? I was under the assumption that a good chunk of Penn grads end up bidding in NY as well.

ETA: Typo.

The biggest reason to pick Penn over NYU would have to be scholarship $$. The JD/MBA should really only be a consideration if you actually have the background to have a realistic shot at getting in to Wharton. Veyron (Penn 2L) says they have a lower bar for 1L transfers into the program, but I doubt that the bar is low enough to warrant choosing the school based on that potential when you wouldn't have a shot without being a 1L.

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:13 pm

bdubs wrote:The biggest reason to pick Penn over NYU would have to be scholarship $$. The JD/MBA should really only be a consideration if you actually have the background to have a realistic shot at getting in to Wharton. Veyron (Penn 2L) says they have a lower bar for 1L transfers into the program, but I doubt that the bar is low enough to warrant choosing the school based on that potential when you wouldn't have a shot without being a 1L.

This is good information. Thanks!

OP, sorry for hijacking your thread. Don't mind me... I'll start a new thread when the time comes.
Last edited by JDizzle2015 on Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:18 pm

quiver wrote:I think NYU has a large edge on SCOTUS clerkships over Penn. As if that stat means anything.

I have no idea if this is true, but that is a ridiculous stat to look at to determine the worth of a school. The chances are so incredibly remote it's absurd.

Also, this was well done:

quiver

Postby quiver » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:55 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
quiver wrote:I think NYU has a large edge on SCOTUS clerkships over Penn. As if that stat means anything.

I have no idea if this is true, but that is a ridiculous stat to look at to determine the worth of a school. The chances are so incredibly remote it's absurd.
Exactly, hence why I said:
quiver wrote:As if that stat means anything.
Just pointing out some differences.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:09 pm

T5 is established. NYU is no different than Penn or Cornell, save for its strong placement in the largest legal market.

The only reason there is a T6 distinction is because Chicago refused to adjust its per-student spending calculated for US News until two years ago to be in line with its piers.

I think NYU is a better deal than most of the T14s because the NYC market is so big.

Postby 071816 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:15 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:T5 is established. NYU is no different than Penn or Cornell, save for its strong placement in the largest legal market.

The only reason there is a T6 distinction is because Chicago refused to adjust its per-student spending calculated for US News until two years ago to be in line with its piers.

I think NYU is a better deal than most of the T14s because the NYC market is so big.

--ImageRemoved--

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:16 pm

In the down economy, NYC was still hiring when Chicago, Atlanta, Philly, Florida, California, etc fell the fuck off. That helped Penn and NYU distinguish themselves since their grads were still getting a few jobs. If the economy is recovering, it might not make sense to favor them as much anymore.

As for the tiers, as I've said many times before, all the T14 has surprisingly similar placement into market-paying work.

anstone1988

Postby anstone1988 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:27 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:T5HYS is established. NYU is no different than Penn or CornellChicago or Columbia.

FTFY

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:58 pm

chimp wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:T5 is established. NYU is no different than Penn or Cornell, save for its strong placement in the largest legal market.

--ImageRemoved--

Dude. I was typing on my cell phone, which corrects everything incorrectly.

And to that other person trying to claim that Columbia and Chicago are closer to NYU: You are a liar.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:15 am

TaipeiMort wrote:
chimp wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

Dude. I was typing on my cell phone, which corrects everything incorrectly.

And to that other person trying to claim that Columbia and Chicago are closer to NYU: You are a liar.

Okay, iPhone corrects based on letter proximity, not homonyms. You screwed up. It was funny. No big deal. You don't have to make up excuses.

And NYU is between CC and MVP, idk which it's necessarily closer to though.

Return to “Law School FAQ”