Deferring

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
ganggreen

Deferring

Postby ganggreen » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:36 am

In general, how open are schools to deferring your acceptance for a year? Will they consider the argument: "I want to attend your school and a year of work would make that financially possible for me"?

rinkrat19

Re: Deferring

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:41 am

Your likelihood of getting a deferral varies by school (some schools are more likely to grant one than others), by your reason (yours is ok, but obviously something like "I need a year of chemo" would be really compelling), and by how early you request it.

<== deferred last year at Northwestern. Had a reason similar to yours, and requested it only a few weeks after I was accepted in January.

ganggreen

Re: Deferring

Postby ganggreen » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:28 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Your likelihood of getting a deferral varies by school (some schools are more likely to grant one than others), by your reason (yours is ok, but obviously something like "I need a year of chemo" would be really compelling), and by how early you request it.

<== deferred last year at Northwestern. Had a reason similar to yours, and requested it only a few weeks after I was accepted in January.

Gotcha. Since money is an issue I may also try negotiating with a couple schools... though I hear that doesn't always work.

Return to “Law School FAQ”