Where do people go after an A3 Clerkship?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Cartman

Where do people go after an A3 Clerkship?

Postby Cartman » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:01 am

Hey folks,

Just out of sheer curiosity, where do grads who get an A3 Clerkship end up doing after the clerkship ends? Do many look for the AG Honor's program? Go into private practice? The public sector? Academia?

Wondering what sorts of doors such a prestigious positions opens...

NinerFan

Re: Where do people go after an A3 Clerkship?

Postby NinerFan » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:12 am

You answered your own question. It's a prestigious position and it makes the holder a more attractive candidate, in general. Some clerk more, some go into private practice, some go into academia.... there's no set path.

The clerkship -> biglaw path is popular because many firms like hiring clerks and give them bonuses for having clerked.

Perdevise

Postby Perdevise » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:36 am

I am curious about clerking as well. Does clerking help for PI jobs? I know clerkships are competitive, but what is the selection process like? Is it grades only, or are there interviews as well?

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:24 am

A3 bonuses can be bigger - I think Supreme Court bonuses hit 250k?

Strange

Postby Strange » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:12 pm

This may be a dumb question, but if you get an offer as a clerk but ultimately want to work in a private practice, are you taking a risk by taking the clerkship? What happens if once its over you cant find a biglaw gig?
Or is that like guaranteed?

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:25 pm

Strange wrote:This may be a dumb question, but if you get an offer as a clerk but ultimately want to work in a private practice, are you taking a risk by taking the clerkship? What happens if once its over you cant find a biglaw gig?
Or is that like guaranteed?

If you already worked at a firm your 2L summer, most firms will let you defer (and pay you a $50k signing bonus at the end of your clerkship, to boot). Plus, firms really do try fairly hard to hire A3 clerks (and if you can get the gig, you already are competitive for firms based on your grades). Nothing is ever certain in life, but the chances of you clerking and then not finding a firm offer are fairly low. (2008-2009 was a harsh exception to this because of the way biglaw firms destroyed the class of 2009/2010).

Perdevise

Postby Perdevise » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:41 pm

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:
Perdevise wrote:I am curious about clerking as well. Does clerking help for PI jobs? I know clerkships are competitive, but what is the selection process like? Is it grades only, or are there interviews as well?

Yes, Art. III clerkships can help for PI jobs. Many clerks go on to work in the DOJ Honors program, for state & federal agencies, nonprofits, etc. And of course many go into biglaw as well. In major markets, the bonus for a one-year Art. III clerkship is $50,000, with some firms paying $70,000 for two years.

On the process of securing a clerkship, see viewtopic.php?f=23&t=146252.

Thanks GTL Rev.

Return to “Law School FAQ”