Patent law

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
seunglee

Patent law

Postby seunglee » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:23 am

I have an accounting bachelors and a masters CPA. That being said, I am extremely interested in going into patent law. Do AP credits on the transcript count for the requirements? I have about 24 hours in chemistry that I took in school (chemistry minor). That being said, would that put me at a disadvantage that I have accounting degrees? Is patent law even worth pursuing?

Re: Patent law

Postby 09042014 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:46 am

seunglee wrote:I have an accounting bachelors and a masters CPA. That being said, I am extremely interested in going into patent law. Do AP credits on the transcript count for the requirements? I have about 24 hours in chemistry that I took in school (chemistry minor). That being said, would that put me at a disadvantage that I have accounting degrees? Is patent law even worth pursuing?

Nobody is going to hire you to do patent prosecution. You might be able to weasel your way into patent litigation by doing litigation and trying to get on patent cases.

If you are doing this because you heard patent law means $$$$$, or that you'll get a job easily, you will not.

MormonChristian

Postby MormonChristian » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:23 am

seunglee wrote:I have an accounting bachelors and a masters CPA. That being said, I am extremely interested in going into patent law.

A lot of people want to be IP or patent secure.

seunglee wrote:Do AP credits on the transcript count for the requirements? I have about 24 hours in chemistry that I took in school (chemistry minor)

I believe not. You have to take calculus based physics etc and your credits have to come from your undergraduate accredited institution. But check for sure.

seunglee wrote: That being said, would that put me at a disadvantage that I have accounting degrees? Is patent law even worth pursuing?

I wouldn't look to do patent prosecution with that, but if you go to a Top 14, you should easily be able to do patent litigation.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:48 am

MormonChristian wrote:
I wouldn't look to do patent prosecution with that, but if you go to a Top 14, you should easily be able to do patent litigation.

Easy? Nope. Harder than getting a regular job at that firm. And ITE that is far from easy.

Agent

Postby Agent » Mon May 13, 2013 8:46 pm

Once again, +1 to whatever DF said here.

TheBiggerMediocre

Postby TheBiggerMediocre » Tue May 14, 2013 7:21 pm

Go back to college (reasonably regarded) do an engineering major (3.3 GPA), I will personally guarantee you a job in patent law after attending a T50 law school.

Return to “Law School FAQ”