Deferred at top choice after ED. Should I retake in Feb?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
motivation

Re: Deferred at top choice after ED. Should I retake in Feb?

Postby motivation » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:03 pm

I sincerely believe that schools like Kent and DePaul are not a good investment. I have been researching law schools for years and have talked to many, many law students from a variety of schools. If you've got that much money to throw around, find something better to spend it on. There seriously is a sizable chance that if you go a low-tier school in Chicago, you will either not be able to find legal work at all or it will be legal work not of the kind that you would actually want (think, making $45k/yr to review mind-numbing documents or trying to sue local businesses for slip-and-fall cases you know are probably a sham).

My biggest fear is not finding legal employment with a JD, and I have done some limited research only to find what you have just mentioned about tier 2 schools in chicago. I guess I just needed reinforcement from this message board, which is why I am retaking in June.

Is there any chance the legal field will recover in the next 4 years?

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:07 pm

motivation wrote:Is there any chance the legal field will recover in the next 4 years?

Who knows. Honestly, there could a be a double dip and it could be even worse than it is now. I think trying to project even how it's going to be in two years would be a waste of time. The market is rebounding now but that's mostly being seen at the top schools like UChicago and Northwestern, and from what I've heard schools like DePaul, Kent, etc are still in very rough times. Maybe that rebound will trickle down over the next few years. Who knows. Maybe it will get even worse for the low-tier schools. Who knows.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:09 pm

motivation wrote:
I sincerely believe that schools like Kent and DePaul are not a good investment. I have been researching law schools for years and have talked to many, many law students from a variety of schools. If you've got that much money to throw around, find something better to spend it on. There seriously is a sizable chance that if you go a low-tier school in Chicago, you will either not be able to find legal work at all or it will be legal work not of the kind that you would actually want (think, making $45k/yr to review mind-numbing documents or trying to sue local businesses for slip-and-fall cases you know are probably a sham).

My biggest fear is not finding legal employment with a JD, and I have done some limited research only to find what you have just mentioned about tier 2 schools in chicago. I guess I just needed reinforcement from this message board, which is why I am retaking in June.

Is there any chance the legal field will recover in the next 4 years?

Chicago T2s were never a good bet. The difference is, during the boom (which will never return) TLS said, "Don't go to Kent, only the top 10%+LR gets jobs!" instead of, ""Don't go to Kent, not even top 10%+LR gets jobs!"

Return to “Law School FAQ”