Negotiating with DePaul?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
CPM723

Negotiating with DePaul?

Postby CPM723 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:18 pm

So I was accepted about a month ago to DePaul and have received a generous scholarship. The stipulations, however, worry me. I have a few questions.

1st- What does a 3.2 equate to on DePaul's grading curve? I cannot find a straightforward answer online.

2nd- Is it possible to negotiate the scholarship stipulations?/Is it too early to begin negotiating?- I have been accepted at a few other schools so far, but have not received scholarship information yet.

If anyone has any insight that would be great.

Thanks!

FUBAR

Re: Negotiating with DePaul?

Postby FUBAR » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:22 pm

A 3.2 at DePaul is probably around top 1/3. Odds are you won't retain your scholarship. Even with a full scholly and no stips, the odds of landing a decent job out of DePaul ITE without excellent grades are slim.

Don't go to law school if this is your best option at the end of the day.

CPM723

Postby CPM723 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:22 pm

Not my best option, just wondering if I could work the stipulations down.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:25 pm

It is possible (sometimes, and depending on the school) to negotiate scholarship stips away or down. I don't know if DePaul does.

You'll be in a stronger position to negotiate, however, if you wait until you have better scholarship offers (more money/less stip) from peer schools and/or admissions (and/or scholarships) to better schools in hand.

CPM723

Postby CPM723 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:31 pm

I figured. I just wasn't sure if there was a way to start the process early as a way to show your dedication to the school.

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:20 am

I don't think dedication factors into it at all. In fact, it probably has the opposite effect. If it looks like you really want to attend that school, they have no reason to provide additional incentive to get you on board. Nevertheless, negotiating stips away is very tough to do. You need another school of equal, if not better, standing to offer you more money. Even then its a gamble. DePaul may just tell you to go to the other school since they have enough students to fill your spot. You have to have something they want.

A 3.2 at DePaul, according to the Admissions Director, is roughly top 35%. Considering how many scholarships DePaul gives out, it may be possible to keep it. I'm at the median LSAT and slightly below the median GPA and I received $15,000/yr. Assuming at least 50-65% of the entering class receives money, they can't possibly section stack that intensely. Will everyone keep the full award? No, absolutely not. However, I think a lot of kids will retain at least half due to the new 2.9 stip.

If you want BigLaw, DePaul isn't the school to attend. Only a handful make it into the top firms every year. However, for public interest, government, or small firm work, it isn't a bad choice. You just need to manage your debt and continually run the numbers. You need to fully understand the investment you're making.

Return to “Law School FAQ”