Part time programs?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
katzrr

Part time programs?

Postby katzrr » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:33 am

I am considering applying for a part time program. Temple + Rutgers/Camden would probably be frontrunners.

I have a full time job and I would like to keep it. However, I am worried about being able to handle both law school and my job. So far I have not seen many advice/resource articles specifically for people attempting part-time programs. Obviously I would like to do the best I possibly can in terms of class rank. So I am wondering: what are the pressures for part-time like and how do they compare to full time? What can I expect out of a part-time program and what kind of hours can I expect to put into studying?

Any insight will be appreciated.

Jasper21

Re: Part time programs?

Postby Jasper21 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:37 am

Part time is only one less class than FT

katzrr

Postby katzrr » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:41 am

So...what does that mean

nouseforaname123

Postby nouseforaname123 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:10 pm

Search my post history.

You'll find what you're looking for.

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:11 pm

part time at my school is m-f from 5-8pm. I think they have less on wednesdays, I'm not sure.

They have one fewer class than we do, so that's 3 credits. We have 15 credits so they have 12, you're 'supposed' to do 2 hours work outside of class per class credit hour.

you'll have to do all that math yourself, I'm in law school, I don't do math ;)

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:16 pm

PT at my school, which similarly ranked to the schools youre interested in, is only one less class that FT. What that means is you are still pretty busy. The schedule doesnt really allow for FT jobs. The person I know who is PT has a scedule that looks like this. M - 930-1030 12-115 130-245 T - 130-245 W - 12-115 130-245 R - 11-12 2-315 F - 2-315

I dont think working full time is feasible doing that. I guess it would depend on your schools schedule, but I feel like youd be better off just going full time. Youll pay a year less of tuition if that helps your decision at all.

katzrr

Postby katzrr » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:36 pm

I think Temple's schedule is 6pm-9:30pm generally. I work from 9am-5pm. The only way I could afford doing full-time is moving back home, and I don't think that's really what I want.

Jasper21

Postby Jasper21 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:41 pm

katzrr wrote:So...what does that mean

It means that PT could potentially be harder than FT because you're only taking one less class, while still working.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:02 pm

First off, nouseforaname123 has posted a lot of great info on this (thanks, nouse!) and I agree that you should search his post history.

Secondly, our PT program is an evening program (although you can take day classes after 1L year if you can fit them in: the program just requires that you take no fewer than 8 and no more than 12 credits), so it's set up for people who work. 1L we had M-Th classes, from 6-9 (some were 6-8, some 630-9 - can't remember exactly.) I worked FT as did many of my classmates. Fall semester we had Crim and Contracts, plus legal writing; Spring was Torts and Property (and legal writing.) It's tough, for sure - but it's manageable. I did most of my studying on the weekends and often stayed at school til 10 or 11 to work after class (I found that if I went home I just didn't get as much done.) Personally, I love the PT program - it's allowing me to get my JD with a minimum of debt (as I'm still working) and it works with my family/life. Best of luck!

Donnis

Postby Donnis » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:44 pm

I am also considering Rutger's PT program. I am fresh out of UG and started working at a small firm a couple months ago. I plan on taking the LSATs in Feb and June.

The firm I now work for knew that I wanted to go to law school and that I would be there until I enrolled. I am sure they would not mind me working PT and attending school PT as well. Having an income, working at a firm, and going to law school seems like a favorable combination for after graduation and securing a job. Ideally, I would continue to work with the firm I am with now after passing the bar (boss's partner passed away and now is sole w/ a lot more cases than he can handle). Hopefully, I become more than just a per diem lawyer for the firm and secure some sort of permanent position as an entry-level associate or similar. Anyone in a similar situation? Please let me know!

Return to “Law School FAQ”