Tablets (ex. Ipad) and Law Schools

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18426
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Tablets (ex. Ipad) and Law Schools

Postby bk1 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:24 pm

Br3v wrote:Using a tablet for anything academic sounds horrible.


I actually use one now for a ton of DOC/PDF reading (various reasons why I can't use an e-reader instead). But it's really just a luxury over reading it on a laptop.

User avatar
Redamon1
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:46 pm

Re: Tablets (ex. Ipad) and Law Schools

Postby Redamon1 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:02 pm

ood wrote:
Redamon1 wrote:1L. I recently got an iPad, not to take notes (I use my laptop for that), but to read and annotate scanned textbooks and other reading assignments.

I've found GoodReader to be a good app so far because annotations are relatively easy and the synch with Dropbox works well, but I wonder if others have found better apps or have general tips to improve productivity on iPad / tablet.


Check out iannotate pdf, it used to be my go to app before notability


I've heard of iAnnotate but not notability. Why do you prefer it now?

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: Tablets (ex. Ipad) and Law Schools

Postby de5igual » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:24 pm

sumtimesuwonder wrote:Also, how available are e-textbooks for law school?


probably horrible. you won't be able to highlight and annotate, can't find passages as easily during a discussion, and most importantly, they won't be allowed during an open note/book exam. oh, and they're significantly more expensive than just buying a used edition of a casebook.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18426
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Tablets (ex. Ipad) and Law Schools

Postby bk1 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:39 pm

f0bolous wrote:
sumtimesuwonder wrote:Also, how available are e-textbooks for law school?


probably horrible. you won't be able to highlight and annotate, can't find passages as easily during a discussion, and most importantly, they won't be allowed during an open note/book exam. oh, and they're significantly more expensive than just buying a used edition of a casebook.


I'm not sure I agree with all of this. I agree that they are more expensive than used books, more difficult to highlight/annotate, and more of a pain to flip through. But availability doesn't seem to be a huge problem. Aspen (by Wolters Kluwer), for example, does a decent job. Additionally, West (by Thomson Reuters) does a good job as well. (LinkRemoved) Those two publish the vast majority of casebooks. But that doesn't mean you'll be able to find every book.

It's also not accurate that they necessarily won't be available during open exams. If the exam has an open hard drive policy (e.g. many of NU's exams), then you will have access to the eBook. Though you're right, this is not the case at a lot of schools. However, and more importantly, if you're looking at a casebook during an exam you are likely fucked anyways. The only time you should be looking at a book is if you need the specific text of something (e.g. the FRCP in Civ Pro), but otherwise I would seriously not worry about whether you can use a casebook during an exam.

ETA: That question is almost a year old. ><

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Tablets (ex. Ipad) and Law Schools

Postby dingbat » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:18 pm

I've got an e-book which came free with a text I purchased. After a few classes, I transitioned to only using the e-book. Highlighting is not an issue (note that I only highlight in one color, so I don't know if that'd be an issue for some) and the search function works very well for flipping to where I need to be. The only drawback I can think of is if you have problems with your laptop (and mine's a POS)

I'm sitting on the fence whether to get ebooks or regular texts next semester, although I'll probably just choose the cheaper option

User avatar
expelliarmus
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Tablets (ex. Ipad) and Law Schools

Postby expelliarmus » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:09 pm

If your law school classes have a lot of ebooks or pdfs to read, then Ipads might be functional and saves a lot of money and paper.
However, taking notes on your ipad can be a real pain. I have tried it for undergrad (yep, that guy), and it does not work.

User avatar
CliveStaples
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:37 pm

Re: Tablets (ex. Ipad) and Law Schools

Postby CliveStaples » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:52 pm

Now that I'm a few months into law school I thought I'd share what I've learned about ipad use in class (and give my mind a break from studying contracts and property).

First, I didn't buy my ipad for law school, I already had it. I wouldn't recommend paying that kind of money just to use it in law school when you can get a good laptop for the same price.

I don't use mine for note taking in class (I prefer my comfort level with my laptop & OneNote) but I know several other students who do use it (with a bluetooth keyboard) and have no issues with it. I do, however, use it in almost every class because I have my syllabus and any pdf or other documents I need for the class on it.

Some apps I recommend:
Notability - Simple to use, just add a .pdf (I also use dropbox/the dropbox app to do this) and you can highlight material in multiple colors, scribble a note with your finger, or type in text. I also sync in .pdf to dropbox so anytime I change something it saves what I highlighted and I can view it on my computer too.

Black's Law Dictionary - Some people prefer lugging around a 25lb book but I'm fine with the digital copy. It's less expensive than a new one (though expensive compared to most apps at about $50) and you don't have to flip through the pages to find the word you're looking for. Also, the definitions contain links to West and other definitions to help you fully understand things. A bonus is that it has the ability to pronounce words so you can hear it before your professor makes fun of you for completely butchering some Latin word.

I signed up for Barbri so their study aid app is useful and you can download all their video lectures to your ipad and watch them even when you're not connected to the internet.

LexisAdvance & Westlaw Next both have apps that are simple and useful.

Study aids - I bought the Wolters & Kluwer Q&A app which I've enjoyed all the hypos so far (again pricey compared to most apps at about $20).

Lawstack/casebriefs - A lot of casebrief websites have their own apps so you can lookup briefs on the go.

If anyone knows of any other good apps for law school let me know.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18426
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Tablets (ex. Ipad) and Law Schools

Postby bk1 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:58 pm

CliveStaples wrote:Black's Law Dictionary - Some people prefer lugging around a 25lb book but I'm fine with the digital copy. It's less expensive than a new one (though expensive compared to most apps at about $50) and you don't have to flip through the pages to find the word you're looking for. Also, the definitions contain links to West and other definitions to help you fully understand things. A bonus is that it has the ability to pronounce words so you can hear it before your professor makes fun of you for completely butchering some Latin word.


Both the app and the actual book are wastes of money.

User avatar
laxbrah420
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: Tablets (ex. Ipad) and Law Schools

Postby laxbrah420 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:03 pm

f0bolous wrote:
sumtimesuwonder wrote:Also, how available are e-textbooks for law school?


probably horrible. you won't be able to highlight and annotate, can't find passages as easily during a discussion, and most importantly, they won't be allowed during an open note/book exam. oh, and they're significantly more expensive than just buying a used edition of a casebook.

Wut? You can highlight and annotate, you can passages much easier (because of the find function that doesn't exist in real life), and they're cheaper than new textbooks. The not bringing it in may be a problem if you plan to flip through books during your exam

User avatar
dextermorgan
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am

Re: Tablets (ex. Ipad) and Law Schools

Postby dextermorgan » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:12 pm

iPads have a few functional facebook clients. That seems to be the extent of what my classmate who use them in class do on them, although to be fair, that's the extent of what 40% of the kids with laptops do too.

User avatar
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Re: Tablets (ex. Ipad) and Law Schools

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:35 pm

Sometimes I use a Logitech keyboard case and Outline+ app to edit OneNote notebooks and sync in dropbox. I actually prefer Outline+ for drawing and highlighting on an iPad over MS OneNote on a PC.

User avatar
CliveStaples
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:37 pm

Re: Tablets (ex. Ipad) and Law Schools

Postby CliveStaples » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:56 am

bk1 wrote:
CliveStaples wrote:Black's Law Dictionary - Some people prefer lugging around a 25lb book but I'm fine with the digital copy. It's less expensive than a new one (though expensive compared to most apps at about $50) and you don't have to flip through the pages to find the word you're looking for. Also, the definitions contain links to West and other definitions to help you fully understand things. A bonus is that it has the ability to pronounce words so you can hear it before your professor makes fun of you for completely butchering some Latin word.


Both the app and the actual book are wastes of money.


No.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18426
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Tablets (ex. Ipad) and Law Schools

Postby bk1 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:30 pm

CliveStaples wrote:
bk1 wrote:Both the app and the actual book are wastes of money.


No.


I don't feel like debating its worthlessness (which it is except possibly outside of closed book writing competitions that allow a physical copy of Black's), so I will just say that it's available on Westlaw for free.

User avatar
CliveStaples
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:37 pm

Re: Tablets (ex. Ipad) and Law Schools

Postby CliveStaples » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:27 pm

bk1 wrote:
CliveStaples wrote:
bk1 wrote:Both the app and the actual book are wastes of money.


No.


I don't feel like debating its worthlessness (which it is except possibly outside of closed book writing competitions that allow a physical copy of Black's), so I will just say that it's available on Westlaw for free.


Because you are guaranteed to have Westlaw forever...

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18426
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Tablets (ex. Ipad) and Law Schools

Postby bk1 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:59 pm

CliveStaples wrote:Because you are guaranteed to have Westlaw forever...


No, but there's obviously no point in buying it while you do have Westlaw access.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11728
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Tablets (ex. Ipad) and Law Schools

Postby kalvano » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:00 pm

CliveStaples wrote:
bk1 wrote:
CliveStaples wrote:
bk1 wrote:Both the app and the actual book are wastes of money.


No.


I don't feel like debating its worthlessness (which it is except possibly outside of closed book writing competitions that allow a physical copy of Black's), so I will just say that it's available on Westlaw for free.


Because you are guaranteed to have Westlaw forever...



--LinkRemoved--

User avatar
CliveStaples
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:37 pm

Re: Tablets (ex. Ipad) and Law Schools

Postby CliveStaples » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:36 pm

.
Last edited by CliveStaples on Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18426
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Tablets (ex. Ipad) and Law Schools

Postby bk1 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:43 pm

CliveStaples wrote:
bk1 wrote:
CliveStaples wrote:Because you are guaranteed to have Westlaw forever...


No, but there's obviously no point in buying it while you do have Westlaw access.


Funny how you didn't want to debate it and yet there you are debating it... I love messing with law students!


RC fail.

User avatar
CliveStaples
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:37 pm

Re: Tablets (ex. Ipad) and Law Schools

Postby CliveStaples » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:53 pm

bk1 wrote:
CliveStaples wrote:
bk1 wrote:
CliveStaples wrote:Because you are guaranteed to have Westlaw forever...


No, but there's obviously no point in buying it while you do have Westlaw access.


Funny how you didn't want to debate it and yet there you are debating it... I love messing with law students!


RC fail.


Intelligence fail.

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: Tablets (ex. Ipad) and Law Schools

Postby twenty » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:51 pm

Intelligence fail.


how's regent?

User avatar
CliveStaples
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:37 pm

Re: Tablets (ex. Ipad) and Law Schools

Postby CliveStaples » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:37 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:
Intelligence fail.


how's regent?


It's nice, thanks for asking!

User avatar
dextermorgan
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am

Re: Tablets (ex. Ipad) and Law Schools

Postby dextermorgan » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:25 pm

bk1 wrote:
CliveStaples wrote:
bk1 wrote:Both the app and the actual book are wastes of money.


No.


I don't feel like debating its worthlessness (which it is except possibly outside of closed book writing competitions that allow a physical copy of Black's), so I will just say that it's available on Westlaw for free.

I've got it on my phone, but I bought it with the iTunes gift card those cheap bastards include with a Mac now instead of a free iPod.

User avatar
Redamon1
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:46 pm

Re: Tablets (ex. Ipad) and Law Schools

Postby Redamon1 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:06 am

CliveStaples wrote:Now that I'm a few months into law school I thought I'd share what I've learned about ipad use in class (and give my mind a break from studying contracts and property).

First, I didn't buy my ipad for law school, I already had it. I wouldn't recommend paying that kind of money just to use it in law school when you can get a good laptop for the same price.

I don't use mine for note taking in class (I prefer my comfort level with my laptop & OneNote) but I know several other students who do use it (with a bluetooth keyboard) and have no issues with it. I do, however, use it in almost every class because I have my syllabus and any pdf or other documents I need for the class on it.

Some apps I recommend:
Notability - Simple to use, just add a .pdf (I also use dropbox/the dropbox app to do this) and you can highlight material in multiple colors, scribble a note with your finger, or type in text. I also sync in .pdf to dropbox so anytime I change something it saves what I highlighted and I can view it on my computer too.

Black's Law Dictionary - Some people prefer lugging around a 25lb book but I'm fine with the digital copy. It's less expensive than a new one (though expensive compared to most apps at about $50) and you don't have to flip through the pages to find the word you're looking for. Also, the definitions contain links to West and other definitions to help you fully understand things. A bonus is that it has the ability to pronounce words so you can hear it before your professor makes fun of you for completely butchering some Latin word.

I signed up for Barbri so their study aid app is useful and you can download all their video lectures to your ipad and watch them even when you're not connected to the internet.

LexisAdvance & Westlaw Next both have apps that are simple and useful.

Study aids - I bought the Wolters & Kluwer Q&A app which I've enjoyed all the hypos so far (again pricey compared to most apps at about $20).

Lawstack/casebriefs - A lot of casebrief websites have their own apps so you can lookup briefs on the go.

If anyone knows of any other good apps for law school let me know.


I scanned one of my textbooks to try out reading and annotating on my iPad. It works great. I use Good Reader ($5) but there other apps like it. Great synch with Dropbox. Love the search function. Love the portability.

I still use my laptop to take notes though.

I think I'll go all digital next semester.

Lolo144
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:38 pm

Re: Tablets (ex. Ipad) and Law Schools

Postby Lolo144 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:22 pm

CliveStaples wrote:Now that I'm a few months into law school I thought I'd share what I've learned about ipad use in class (and give my mind a break from studying contracts and property).

First, I didn't buy my ipad for law school, I already had it. I wouldn't recommend paying that kind of money just to use it in law school when you can get a good laptop for the same price.

I don't use mine for note taking in class (I prefer my comfort level with my laptop & OneNote) but I know several other students who do use it (with a bluetooth keyboard) and have no issues with it. I do, however, use it in almost every class because I have my syllabus and any pdf or other documents I need for the class on it.

Some apps I recommend:
Notability - Simple to use, just add a .pdf (I also use dropbox/the dropbox app to do this) and you can highlight material in multiple colors, scribble a note with your finger, or type in text. I also sync in .pdf to dropbox so anytime I change something it saves what I highlighted and I can view it on my computer too.

Black's Law Dictionary - Some people prefer lugging around a 25lb book but I'm fine with the digital copy. It's less expensive than a new one (though expensive compared to most apps at about $50) and you don't have to flip through the pages to find the word you're looking for. Also, the definitions contain links to West and other definitions to help you fully understand things. A bonus is that it has the ability to pronounce words so you can hear it before your professor makes fun of you for completely butchering some Latin word.

I signed up for Barbri so their study aid app is useful and you can download all their video lectures to your ipad and watch them even when you're not connected to the internet.

LexisAdvance & Westlaw Next both have apps that are simple and useful.

Study aids - I bought the Wolters & Kluwer Q&A app which I've enjoyed all the hypos so far (again pricey compared to most apps at about $20).

Lawstack/casebriefs - A lot of casebrief websites have their own apps so you can lookup briefs on the go.

If anyone knows of any other good apps for law school let me know.


I'm getting an iPad for graduation and just want to remember this post...thanks for the help!!

User avatar
somewhatwayward
Posts: 1446
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Tablets (ex. Ipad) and Law Schools

Postby somewhatwayward » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:49 pm

Lolo144 wrote:
CliveStaples wrote:Now that I'm a few months into law school I thought I'd share what I've learned about ipad use in class (and give my mind a break from studying contracts and property).

First, I didn't buy my ipad for law school, I already had it. I wouldn't recommend paying that kind of money just to use it in law school when you can get a good laptop for the same price.

I don't use mine for note taking in class (I prefer my comfort level with my laptop & OneNote) but I know several other students who do use it (with a bluetooth keyboard) and have no issues with it. I do, however, use it in almost every class because I have my syllabus and any pdf or other documents I need for the class on it.

Some apps I recommend:
Notability - Simple to use, just add a .pdf (I also use dropbox/the dropbox app to do this) and you can highlight material in multiple colors, scribble a note with your finger, or type in text. I also sync in .pdf to dropbox so anytime I change something it saves what I highlighted and I can view it on my computer too.

Black's Law Dictionary - Some people prefer lugging around a 25lb book but I'm fine with the digital copy. It's less expensive than a new one (though expensive compared to most apps at about $50) and you don't have to flip through the pages to find the word you're looking for. Also, the definitions contain links to West and other definitions to help you fully understand things. A bonus is that it has the ability to pronounce words so you can hear it before your professor makes fun of you for completely butchering some Latin word.

I signed up for Barbri so their study aid app is useful and you can download all their video lectures to your ipad and watch them even when you're not connected to the internet.

LexisAdvance & Westlaw Next both have apps that are simple and useful.

Study aids - I bought the Wolters & Kluwer Q&A app which I've enjoyed all the hypos so far (again pricey compared to most apps at about $20).

Lawstack/casebriefs - A lot of casebrief websites have their own apps so you can lookup briefs on the go.

If anyone knows of any other good apps for law school let me know.


I'm getting an iPad for graduation and just want to remember this post...thanks for the help!!


Don't waste your money on Black's law dictionary.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests