Tablets (ex. Ipad) and Law Schools Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
sumtimesuwonder

New

Tablets (ex. Ipad) and Law Schools

Post by sumtimesuwonder » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:23 am

are they worth it for law school? I know that it would be cheaper to buy textbooks, and I've heard it can be useful to take notes. How useful are they really?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Re: Tablets (ex. Ipad) and Law Schools

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:34 am

What the fuck is with this trendy shit. I know an ipad is super trendy right now but type your goddamn notes (or even handwrite) and your exams. I don't see anybody use an ipad in any of my classes because they're basically laptops except less functional in terms of being a grown-ass adult taking notes and doing law school.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:39 am

Pretty useless for law school. You will have your laptop and that will more than suffice for everything you need to do in law school. Ipad has no marginal benefit.

jess

Post by jess » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:25 pm

Last edited by jess on Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:26 pm

Jessuf wrote:the douchey people at my school use ipads in class.
It's purely a status symbol in the law school classroom context. It's less functional than a laptop while also being obnoxiously expensive.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Strange

Silver

Post by Strange » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:31 pm

When the windows tablets come out, you can pair them with a bluetooth keyboard and they'll be just as useful as a laptop. I already have an android tablet which I'll be bringing, but my laptop will be used for class and note-taking. Current tablets including ipads are mainly good for couch surfing, coffee shops, toilets :D

LockBox

Bronze

Post by LockBox » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:19 pm

Strange wrote:When the windows tablets come out, you can pair them with a bluetooth keyboard and they'll be just as useful as a laptop. I already have an android tablet which I'll be bringing, but my laptop will be used for class and note-taking. Current tablets including ipads are mainly good for couch surfing, coffee shops, toilets :D
I've seen vendors that come to my office that use their ipads connected to keyboards instead of a laptop. I don't get what everyone's aversion is to them unless the software is incapable of handling the workload.

I don't have an ipad so I don't really know, but an ipad connected to a keyboard would be pretty similar to a mac, no?

Strange

Silver

Post by Strange » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:45 pm

LockBox wrote:
Strange wrote:When the windows tablets come out, you can pair them with a bluetooth keyboard and they'll be just as useful as a laptop. I already have an android tablet which I'll be bringing, but my laptop will be used for class and note-taking. Current tablets including ipads are mainly good for couch surfing, coffee shops, toilets :D
I've seen vendors that come to my office that use their ipads connected to keyboards instead of a laptop. I don't get what everyone's aversion is to them unless the software is incapable of handling the workload.

I don't have an ipad so I don't really know, but an ipad connected to a keyboard would be pretty similar to a mac, no?
I don't use macs, but as far as word processing goes it's definitely not similar. You can't run full versions of office programs on tablets because the operating systems are basically mobile versions - ie iOS vs Mac OS X, or Android vs Windows. Especially for a windows PC, you can't run OneNote on a tablet.

Ipads can still be used for a lot of things, but taking tons of notes in class seems like it would be a burden and would slow you down. I've never done it though.

When the Windows 8 Tablets come out, they'll be fully functional, and then you probably wouldn't even need a laptop at that point.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:49 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
It's purely a status symbol in the law school classroom context. It's less functional than a laptop while also being obnoxiously expensive.
To be fair, iPads aren't exactly obnoxiously expensive when you're comparing it to laptops. I'm guessing 5-10% of my class uses them (I'm not one). Depending on what you need/want, it's probably fine. But I don't know if exam software and such would work on it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Strange

Silver

Post by Strange » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:01 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
To be fair, iPads aren't exactly obnoxiously expensive when you're comparing it to laptops. I'm guessing 5-10% of my class uses them (I'm not one). Depending on what you need/want, it's probably fine. But I don't know if exam software and such would work on it.
It depends on the context, you're trading functionality for convenience, in the case of law school convenience isn't an issue since classes have power outlets and you can get a fairly light laptop for not much more than an ipad. It doesn't really make sense to trade away functionality like that for law school purposes so it can be interpreted as obnoxious :D

My guess is though these people probably didn't have a computer, so faced with a decision they just got an ipad. I think it's a big mistake to rely on a tablet, always get a laptop and then you have money get a tablet as an accessory

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:22 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
5-10%? Figures, at NYU :wink: . And it is expensive compared to laptops when you realize that most adults require more functionality on their computer than a (barely) souped-up mobile phone OS can provide and therefore need a laptop in addition to the ipad anyway.

idk about exam software. We can just use Word I think.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:52 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
5-10%? Figures, at NYU :wink: . And it is expensive compared to laptops when you realize that most adults require more functionality on their computer than a (barely) souped-up mobile phone OS can provide and therefore need a laptop in addition to the ipad anyway.

idk about exam software. We can just use Word I think.
Right, but getting a nice laptop (read: expensive nice mac rather than comparable and cheaper pc) when a cheap laptop is just overkill if all you're going to do is use word etc.

Moral of the story: I wouldn't use on. I think you lose some performance and you also look at least a little pretentious.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:32 pm

I would check with the school and see what they require for exams. If they use exam software, then you're screwed.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

paul_m86

New

Post by paul_m86 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:01 pm

I use an iPad in all my classes.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:30 pm

I've seen students use iPads in class, but only in classes where laptops are banned. They'll put up a name card (whether the prof. requires it or not) and then set the iPad behind it so it's hard to see.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:31 pm

vanwinkle wrote:I've seen students use iPads in class, but only in classes where laptops are banned. They'll put up a name card (whether the prof. requires it or not) and then set the iPad behind it so it's hard to see.
"name card"?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:33 pm

vanwinkle wrote:I've seen students use iPads in class, but only in classes where laptops are banned. They'll put up a name card (whether the prof. requires it or not) and then set the iPad behind it so it's hard to see.
wut

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:36 pm

Even if you pair an iPad with a keyboard it still seems awful since laptop keyboards are going to almost always be better, you have to deal with shitty iOS word processing software, you lack a mouse which makes it that much hard to move around the document, you have a small screen and can't have multiple programs running side by side... I could go on but you get the picture.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:37 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
"name card"?
Tent cards that professors print out and have you put on your desk so they know your name. There's often a direct correlation between a prof's hatred of laptops and their love of name cards, but they don't object to you having one on your desk when it's not required, either.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:57 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
"name card"?
Tent cards that professors print out and have you put on your desk so they know your name. There's often a direct correlation between a prof's hatred of laptops and their love of name cards, but they don't object to you having one on your desk when it's not required, either.
That's weird, I've literally never heard of name cards in law school before this moment. Here professors usually figure out people's names by using the seating chart. I learn something new every day.

sumtimesuwonder

New

Post by sumtimesuwonder » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:42 am

the reason why i was considering getting one in the first place is because my laptop is shitty and takes like 10 minutes just to get booted up, which is not optimal for taking notes in class. its also pretty heavy for a laptop and not very functional for carrying from class to class. i figured a tablet would boot up right away, and with some practice you could use something like onenote to take notes and things like that. Obviously for exams I would have to take it on my laptop, but im talking more on a day to day basis.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

swilson215

Silver

Post by swilson215 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:09 am

i judge the kids in my section that take notes on iPads.

I also laugh at them when they have to go back to certain points in the text of their notes, because it's way harder for them and they look like idiots tapping the up key or their touch screen.

In all seriousness, laptops are just so much more functional, especially for what you'll be using them for.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:19 am

Bildungsroman wrote:That's weird, I've literally never heard of name cards in law school before this moment. Here professors usually figure out people's names by using the seating chart. I learn something new every day.
It's up to the professor. It's not common, but I've noticed that it's a lot more likely to come up in classes where the prof has banned laptops and expects a lot of class participation. I got unlucky and have two such classes this semester.

FantasticMrFox

Silver

Post by FantasticMrFox » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:20 am

I can understand iPads for reading certain documents or even eBooks but using it for note-taking etc seems to be trying to make it more than it actually is.

sumtimesuwonder

New

Post by sumtimesuwonder » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:41 am

Also, how available are e-textbooks for law school?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”