Are successful/smart/hardworking students subsidizing others Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
romothesavior

Diamond

Re: Are successful/smart/hardworking students subsidizing others

Post by romothesavior » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:26 pm

paul_m86 wrote:
Rotor wrote: Internal annual studies for Calif. L. Rev. to evaluate ways to improve diversity, looking at every stage of the CLR write on process to determine where we could improve our results. Statistically, lower percentages of PI and URMs were signing up to write-on and they also completed packages at a lower rate, so it wasn't necessarily that those groups weren't getting selected, it's that they weren't even in the pool to be picked at the end of the day.

Sorry can't share the actual studies (FERPA issues, I think). But you can see the genesis of the research initiative in Amy DeVaudreuil, Silence at the California Law Review, 91 CALIF. L. REV. 1183 (2003) (reviewing ANDREA GUERRERO, SILENCE AT BOALT HALL: THE DISMANTLING OF AFFIRMATIVE ACTION (2002)).
Maybe that has to do with PI people (lower performing as a whole) knowing that their writing skills weren't strong enough to write onto law review, so they didn't even try?
You're an insufferable prick.

Somewhatwayward, please spread this thread around.

paul_m86

New

Post by paul_m86 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:27 pm

romothesavior wrote:
paul_m86 wrote:
Rotor wrote: Internal annual studies for Calif. L. Rev. to evaluate ways to improve diversity, looking at every stage of the CLR write on process to determine where we could improve our results. Statistically, lower percentages of PI and URMs were signing up to write-on and they also completed packages at a lower rate, so it wasn't necessarily that those groups weren't getting selected, it's that they weren't even in the pool to be picked at the end of the day.

Sorry can't share the actual studies (FERPA issues, I think). But you can see the genesis of the research initiative in Amy DeVaudreuil, Silence at the California Law Review, 91 CALIF. L. REV. 1183 (2003) (reviewing ANDREA GUERRERO, SILENCE AT BOALT HALL: THE DISMANTLING OF AFFIRMATIVE ACTION (2002)).
Maybe that has to do with PI people (lower performing as a whole) knowing that their writing skills weren't strong enough to write onto law review, so they didn't even try?
You're an insufferable prick.

I have a feeling that most people at somewhatwayward's school would agree with me.....

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:28 pm

paul_m86 wrote:I have a feeling that most people at somewhatwayward's school would agree with me.....
I have a feeling they won't.

paul_m86

New

Post by paul_m86 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:30 pm

romothesavior wrote:
paul_m86 wrote:I have a feeling that most people at somewhatwayward's school would agree with me.....
I have a feeling they would......

If you went to school there, you would know.....

Gettingstarted1928

Bronze

Post by Gettingstarted1928 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:44 pm

paul_m86 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
I have a feeling they would......

If you went to school there, you would know.....
I have a feeling they won't

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:50 am

paul_m86 wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:Please, tell us more about the SA you landed at OCI :roll:
meh

getting an SA out of OCI isn't something huge to brag about

pretty much like bragging about getting above median

not that big of a deal
Which fucking school do you go to that above median equates to getting a biglaw job?

HYS?

paul_m86

New

Post by paul_m86 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:55 am

johansantana21 wrote:
paul_m86 wrote:
meh

not that big of a deal
Which fucking school do you go to that above median equates to getting a biglaw job?

HYS?
Columbia / Chicago. Wouldn't be surprised if at least 70 percent of the class got a biglaw SA lined up. Like I said, not that impressive and certainly not something bragworthy. Where do you go, bro? Sounds like you're kind of out of touch.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:00 am

paul_m86 wrote:Columbia / Chicago. Wouldn't be surprised if at least 70 percent of the class got a biglaw SA lined up. Like I said, not that impressive and certainly not something bragworthy. Where do you go, bro? Sounds like you're kind of out of touch.
In addition to the extremely douchey employment trolling, OP is now egregiously anti-NYU trolling.

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:01 am

paul_m86 wrote:
johansantana21 wrote:
paul_m86 wrote:
meh

not that big of a deal

HYS?
Columbia / Chicago. Wouldn't be surprised if at least 70 percent of the class got a biglaw SA lined up. Like I said, not that impressive and certainly not something bragworthy. Where do you go, bro? Sounds like you're kind of out of touch.
70% got biglaw SA lined up? Even factoring in no-offers, that sounds ridiculous ITE.

I go to DCN

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

paul_m86

New

Post by paul_m86 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:09 am

johansantana21 wrote: 70% got biglaw SA lined up? Even factoring in no-offers, that sounds ridiculous ITE.

I go to DCN
I'm almost certain that we had more than 65 percent of the class spend their summer at a biglaw firm for Summer 2011. This year, it seems to have improved a little. I would be absolutely shocked if it was less than 70 percent.

paul_m86

New

Post by paul_m86 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:10 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:
paul_m86 wrote:Columbia / Chicago. Wouldn't be surprised if at least 70 percent of the class got a biglaw SA lined up. Like I said, not that impressive and certainly not something bragworthy. Where do you go, bro? Sounds like you're kind of out of touch.
In addition to the extremely douchey employment trolling, OP is now egregiously anti-NYU trolling.
Nobody who is not deluded really and honestly thinks that NYU and Columbia are on the same levels.

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:11 am

paul_m86 wrote:
johansantana21 wrote: 70% got biglaw SA lined up? Even factoring in no-offers, that sounds ridiculous ITE.

I go to DCN
I'm almost certain that we had more than 65 percent of the class spend their summer at a biglaw firm for Summer 2011. This year, it seems to have improved a little. I would be absolutely shocked if it was less than 70 percent.
Considering class of 2010 was like 59%, you think the economy improved that much? 65% maybe...70% would be almost pre ITE.

paul_m86

New

Post by paul_m86 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:13 am

johansantana21 wrote:
paul_m86 wrote:

I go to DCN
Considering class of 2010 was like 59%, you think the economy improved that much? 65% maybe...70% would be almost pre ITE.
65 percent is a safe number. Might have already been 70 for summer of 2011. I think UChicago and Columbia were similar in terms of people having biglaw summer jobs. I thought that somebody posted the data for both schools on here. Let me see if I can find it.

This is for UChicago. There are discussions about Columbia in that thread too.

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 3#p4666483

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:47 am

paul_m86 wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
Nobody who is not deluded really and honestly thinks that NYU and Columbia are on the same levels.
Replace toby with paul in this video and that captures my feelings toward you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HFHsF-zJy4

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:13 am

romothesavior wrote:You're an insufferable prick.

well i guess i was wrong about who he was bc i go to CLS, and we placed 80% through EIP last year (c/o 2012), and he's saying his school placed 65%, so it must be chicago....hmm maybe CLS is better than chicago?

ETA: unless he's, like, trying to throw us off track

paul_m86

New

Post by paul_m86 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:19 am

somewhatwayward wrote:
romothesavior wrote:You're an insufferable prick.

well i guess i was wrong about who he was bc i go to CLS, and we placed 80% through EIP last year (c/o 2012), and he's saying his school placed 65%, so it must be chicago....hmm maybe CLS is better than chicago?

ETA: unless he's, like, trying to throw us off track
I said it was at least 65 percent, and the only way we placed 80 percent through EIP last year is if you include only the people that participated in EIP. The Chicago numbers (around 70 percent) include everybody at the school, even those who didn't participate in OCI.

Michaela

Bronze

Post by Michaela » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:56 am

Not like I was taking OP srsly before, but his 'tar pretty much solidifies that he's tRoLliN.

Now...back to motherfuckingcontracts.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:19 am

paul_m86 wrote:I said it was at least 65 percent, and the only way we placed 80 percent through EIP last year is if you include only the people that participated in EIP. The Chicago numbers (around 70 percent) include everybody at the school, even those who didn't participate in OCI.
you're right - that was 80% of people who participated in EIP. ok well i think i am right about who you are, but the only thing i can't figure out is why you graduated college in 2010 if your bday is in 1986, which i'm assuming based on your sn. year off, i guess.

also, dude, you didn't even make law review

paul_m86

New

Post by paul_m86 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:21 am

somewhatwayward wrote:
then I guess you don't know who I am

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:46 am

somewhatwayward wrote:
paul_m86 wrote:I said it was at least 65 percent, and the only way we placed 80 percent through EIP last year is if you include only the people that participated in EIP. The Chicago numbers (around 70 percent) include everybody at the school, even those who didn't participate in OCI.
you're right - that was 80% of people who participated in EIP. ok well i think i am right about who you are, but the only thing i can't figure out is why you graduated college in 2010 if your bday is in 1986, which i'm assuming based on your sn. year off, i guess.

I would guess that OP is a 1L. Or a troll who doesn't actually go to CC.

Edited based on new information.
Last edited by keg411 on Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:55 am

are you the return of liltunechi?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:32 pm

I think this douchebag's tar should result in a ban, basically because it provides an excuse. Vote?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:32 pm

He's an insufferable prick, but an insufferable prick that actually goes to one of CC.

mrloblaw

Silver

Post by mrloblaw » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:38 pm

vanwinkle wrote:He's an insufferable prick, but an insufferable prick that actually goes to one of CC.
It's so hard to discern which when those are the two schools most known for attracting insufferable pricks . . .

paul_m86

New

Post by paul_m86 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:11 pm

mrloblaw wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:He's an insufferable prick, but an insufferable prick that actually goes to one of CC.
It's so hard to discern which when those are the two schools most known for attracting insufferable pricks . . .
sound a little bitter......

Don't act like you wouldn't jump at a chance to attend Columbia or Chicago.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”