Looking for advice on safety schools

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
willwash

Looking for advice on safety schools

Postby willwash » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:53 pm

3.47, haven't taken LSAT yet but anticipating ~170 based on PT average. 6 years active duty Navy (2 combat deployments) and waited tables during undergrad to support pregnant wife. VA resident. Applying ED to UVA (reach), Wm and Mary and UNC (targets) and looking for good safety choices.

I'd be going directly into the JAG Corps upon graduation but do want to go to the best school possible. I'm a big liberal arts guy with no technical experience or inclination. Interests are constitutional law/future career in politics.

Any suggestions?

North

Re: Looking for advice on safety schools

Postby North » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:27 pm

Non-traditional Virginia resident with good softs and a not-terrible GPA? I think Virginia is yours if you pull out a 170+ on your LSAT. Just keep studying and you won't have to worry about safeties.

But, just in case and assuming you want to stay around Virginia, you should be solid at George Mason, Washington & Lee, Georgia, and Alabama with a 165. But seriously, get a 170 and you'll be golden.

willwash

Postby willwash » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:52 pm

Well, I'm registered in Feb. As long as I don't encounter some bizarre whacko LG I think I can count on 170. I've still got a few months to hammer LR (usually missing 3-4 apiece) and I rarely miss more than 2-3 on RC.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:10 am

If you get a 170 or better you should have a fighting chance at UVA (since you're a resident), Northwestern might also be good given you have work experience.

Regardless, if you don't score well in Feb don't settle for a "safety" school if you can get a T14. If you intend to apply this cycle even if you do score a 170 you will be applying super late in the cycle and you might get WL'd galore. If you get WL'd at UVA, NU, w/e don't go to a safety school just to go. Wait to apply next cycle and you should have better results.

willwash

Postby willwash » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:50 am

lol, shoulda specified, I'm applying for the 2013 cycle (stilll in the Navy) so my UVA app will be in-state and ED

Return to “Law School FAQ”