General question regarding scholarship info posted on LSN Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Schang1

Bronze

General question regarding scholarship info posted on LSN

Post by Schang1 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:31 pm

Are those who are posting scholarship info on LSN talking in terms of the money they have received per year? Or is it for the full 3 years? I was confused since some people are posting $12,000 whereas another person with similar numbers are posting $60,000 for the same school.

gaud

Platinum

Re: General question regarding scholarship info posted on LSN

Post by gaud » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:34 pm

Schang1 wrote:Are those who are posting scholarship info on LSN talking in terms of the money they have received per year? Or is it for the full 3 years? I was confused since some people are posting $12,000 whereas another person with similar numbers are posting $60,000 for the same school.

there are a number of factors that can account for the discrepancy between scholly info.

one of them being what you mentioned... some people post per year while others post total (3 year).

in addition, it could be due to one of the applicants being OOS and the other already having residency

Schang1

Bronze

Post by Schang1 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:36 pm

gaud wrote:
Schang1 wrote:Are those who are posting scholarship info on LSN talking in terms of the money they have received per year? Or is it for the full 3 years? I was confused since some people are posting $12,000 whereas another person with similar numbers are posting $60,000 for the same school.

there are a number of factors that can account for the discrepancy between scholly info.

one of them being what you mentioned... some people post per year while others post total (3 year).

in addition, it could be due to one of the applicants being OOS and the other already having residency
I see. How does one being OOS vs having residency have an impact on scholarships? Generally does one applicant receive more than the other?

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:41 pm

I can't say that it will always have an effect on scholarship money

but sometimes a school will offer an OOS more money to draw their attention (it seems if they offer more $ to OOS-ers then the total COA would be the same for both applicants)

Schang1

Bronze

Post by Schang1 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:43 pm

gaud wrote:I can't say that it will always have an effect on scholarship money

but sometimes a school will offer an OOS more money to draw their attention (it seems if they offer more $ to OOS-ers then the total COA would be the same for both applicants)
Aha. Makes sense. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

paul34

Bronze

Post by paul34 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:49 pm

Last edited by paul34 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:50 pm

paul34 wrote:It is an unfortunate thing about many LSNers that they fail to specify whether the amount is yearly or over all three years. Sometimes they even mix yearly and total awards.

I couldn't agree with you more

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”