GULC's median is higher than Cornell's

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
hangqianli

GULC's median is higher than Cornell's

Postby hangqianli » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:08 pm

Why is GULC's median higher than Cornell's? Shouldn't it be the other way round, since Cornell is higher ranked?
Does this imply that it's easier to find a job at GULC, so students with higher scores are willing to go there despite its lower rank?

Borhas

Re: GULC's median is higher than Cornell's

Postby Borhas » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:09 pm

people like DC better than Ithaca

who'da thunk it

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:19 pm

No. GULC's median LSAT is also higher than Berkeley and Michigan, it doesn't really mean anything.

top30man

Postby top30man » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:20 pm

Also, in recent years, GULC's median gpa was much lower (though I dont think it was the case this year). Medians arent everything. Reputation is 40% of the ranking.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:22 pm

I don't know how much of this is from Georgetown being defensive, but they have a pretty low spending/student ratio, which is an important metric in the rankings, apparently.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:35 pm

There are plenty of other factors that go into the rankings formula. Just because the lsat
medians are a little different doesn't mean that a school can't outpace it's peers in other ways.

law4vus

Postby law4vus » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:41 pm

Nobody wrote:I don't know how much of this is from Georgetown being defensive, but they have a pretty low spending/student ratio, which is an important metric in the rankings, apparently.

What does this mean, though? That they pocket more and more of the tuition money? lol

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:17 pm

law4vus wrote:
Nobody wrote:I don't know how much of this is from Georgetown being defensive, but they have a pretty low spending/student ratio, which is an important metric in the rankings, apparently.

What does this mean, though? That they pocket more and more of the tuition money? lol

It means that the rankings measure wealth.

westinghouse60

Postby westinghouse60 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:04 pm

law4vus wrote:

On some level I'm sure its reflective of the quality of an institution, but because its also part of the reason law school tuition has gone up so much lately; schools now also have an incentive to spend tons of money on they don't really need.

That is:

1) demand for JDs (by students, not employers) is ridiculously inelastic with respect to price.

2) school X realizes this and increases tuition from $45k/year to $50k/year, and uses the money to buy new expensive new furniture, facilities, amenities etc even when what they had was fine.

3) school X reports per student spending to the US News as increased, school's ranking goes up!!

4) MOAR demand (from prospective students) for JDs from school X now!!

5) omg feedback loop!!

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:59 pm

see Stanford being above CC

WSJ_Law

Postby WSJ_Law » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:32 pm

Cooley's medians are above UIUC's new ones so what does that tell you?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:27 pm

They also have a massive student body, which drives this down.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:16 pm

romothesavior wrote:

They also have a massive student body, which drives this down.

It drives down the need to spend money on students, but not the desire to. Theoretically GULC could devote more spending per student because it spreads more fixed costs that aren't eligible for inclusion over a large number of students.

In practice it just means that the larger university receives a bigger subsidy from law student tuition, to the detriment of the law school. It's one of the valid reasons to include this metric in the rankings.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:19 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:see Stanford being above CC

Indeed. Also, Cornell's endowment is a hell of a lot larger than Georgetown's (5x).

Return to “Law School FAQ”