C&F Question

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
glaciate

C&F Question

Postby glaciate » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:49 am

Last edited by glaciate on Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Larry David

Re: C&F Question

Postby Larry David » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:40 pm

glaciate wrote:First of all, I've noticed a lot of people are asking if they should disclose, and this question has nothing to do with disclosing. I will disclose everything I need to disclose based on the wording of the questions on each individual application.

Okay, about a week after my 18th birthday, I was charged with Criminal Mischief and Criminal Damaging (both misdemeanors). I pled guilty to criminal mischief, and the charge of criminal damaging was dropped. A little more than a month later, I was charged with Petty Theft, but the charge was dropped. The Criminal Mischief conviction will be expunged from my record prior to application to law school, but I know I need to disclose it for some law schools anyway.

Over two years after these incidents, at the beginning of my second semester of college, I was drunk outside in the courtyard of my building, and I happened to be passed by a Campus Safety officer who was responding to a separate incident. As a result of seeing me stumble and puke, Campus EMS sent me to the hospital. I was later told by the Assistant Dean of Student Conduct that I likely should not have been sent to the hospital. This didn't result in any criminal charges, just Alcohol Intoxication and Hospitalization on my student conduct record. Anyway, about 9 months later, I was studying abroad and went out to a bar with friends. When I returned to the dorm a few hours later, I was not in any way drunk, but I talked to the Resident Director and he misinterpreted what I said. He gave me a conduct violation of Failure to Comply and Alcohol Intoxication. After talking to him, he realized he misunderstood me, and he dropped the Failure to Comply offense. He still found me to be intoxicated. I do have multiple witnesses to the fact that I was not drunk, and literally 5 minutes after this incident occurred, I was on Skype with my girlfriend and had a 3 hour long conversation with her. That being said, I know having witnesses in my favor at this point probably won't really help me.

Anyway, my question is this: With a misdemeanor and these two alcohol incidents on my college record, will it be looked at as a pattern of bad behavior/choices? I'm not applying until next cycle, and so by the time of my application, the most recent incident will be almost a year and a half prior. I will not have any future incidents, and I want to know if T-14 is out of the question with these incidents, even if I end up with competitive numbers.

Just disclose fully and don't say you have "witnesses" who say the school is wrong. Even if you don't agree tell them you know its entirely your fault and you were immature and young but have been in good character for X number of years. I seriously doubt if you put it this way it will have any affect whatsoever on your cycle, I mean people get in with multiple DUIs...

glaciate

Postby glaciate » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:08 pm

Last edited by glaciate on Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

masochist

Postby masochist » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:43 pm

Just disclose everything fully, make it clear you are more responsible now, and do not make excuses. Nobody will care (t14 or otherwise).

Almost everybody applying to law school has been or could have been disciplined for underage drinking. Being unlucky enough to get caught does not reflect poorly on your character. Being unlucky enough to get caught twice can still be chalked up to poorly developed intoxication management skills or bad drinking Karma (perhaps you were an RA in a previous life). If you were busted five times or something like that, then it might be something that would raise some eyebrows.

I agonized over my C+F disclosure on applications last year, and I realize with hindsight that my time would have been better spent studying for the LSAT, reviewing my PS, or learning how to knit. Unless whatever you did falls well outside of the range of youthful indiscretions, it will not matter to anyone.

In general, I wish I would have calmed the f%(k down last year regarding most of the parts of my application. It is clear to me now that LSAT/GPA > trad softs/URM >>> LORs >>>>>>> PS. Everything else must actually offend someone in order to matter (this is probably also true of LORs and PS in most cases).

MormonChristian

Postby MormonChristian » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:35 am

glaciate wrote:Anyway, my question is this: With a misdemeanor and these two alcohol incidents on my college record, will it be looked at as a pattern of bad behavior/choices?

Yes, but you need to balance that out with a pattern of good choices. Make sure you do a lot of volunteer work. Join your local MADD or something similar on your campus. Lead the charge against irresponsible alcohol use.

joshceo

Postby joshceo » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:28 pm

Brief disclosure is all that's required for such minor infractions. By the time the bar reviews your character and fitness near graduation, you'll have several years of clean conduct and little trouble getting licensed. However, I would avoid picking up any new alcohol-related charges or infractions of any kind during law school. And scratch the volunteer work for MADD, your time is better spent elsewhere, unless you have a passion for such causes.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:35 pm

You expect us to believe that you talked with your GF on Skype for 3 hours without being drunk?

pret

Postby pret » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:16 am

I'm bumping this because a question just popped in my head.

Please excuse the ridiculously neurotic nature of my question. I answered "no" to all the questions on the C&F portion of my applications but I think I got a referral in 6th grade for not...doing my homework or something. The administration would always warn us how referrals were going to follow us for all of eternity and was sure to cause problems for us down the road. No biggie, right?

I know I sound completely stupid and paranoid for even raising this, but the idea that I'd put myself through law school only to be rejected by the Bar for something as silly as this nauseates me.

Thanks.

asoli

Postby asoli » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:46 am

Return to “Law School FAQ”