being from a random country = higher chance of admittance?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
moshid

being from a random country = higher chance of admittance?

Postby moshid » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:57 pm

Does being from another country actually help you out? That is, if you're not a minority, but from a random small country which you're sure no one else in the school is from, are your chances of being admitted higher?

HyeMart

Re: being from a random country = higher chance of admittance?

Postby HyeMart » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:01 am

because it would make you more a more qualified if you were born in Burma?

moshid

Postby moshid » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:04 am

HyeMart wrote:because it would make you more a more qualified if you were born in Burma?

because the school would have a more diverse class. c'mon now. it's not a stupid question.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:05 am

moshid wrote:Does being from another country actually help you out? That is, if you're not a minority, but from a random small country which you're sure no one else in the school is from, are your chances of being admitted higher?

Yep. Law schools and all of biglaw need to meet their "random small country that nobody else is from" quota, so you're a shoe-in. Congratulations!

moshid

Postby moshid » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:09 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
moshid wrote:Does being from another country actually help you out? That is, if you're not a minority, but from a random small country which you're sure no one else in the school is from, are your chances of being admitted higher?

Yep. Law schools and all of biglaw need to meet their "random small country that nobody else is from" quota, so you're a shoe-in. Congratulations!

1.) I never said I was from a random small country. I'm not.

2.) Does it not make sense to think that having people from different countries can be viewed positively by law schools? If you look up the diversity of a law school's student body on their website, you'll often see that they state the number of countries their students are from.

Of course, this does not entail that they view a person from a specifc random country positively. Just that, if they have the chance to say that they have students from 4 different countries or 5 different countries, it reflects positively on them to say the latter, and that this can give the student from this fifth country a boost. Does this not seem reasonable? At the very least, it doesn't merit smartass responses.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:21 am

moshid wrote: 1.) I never said I was from a random small country. I'm not.

Why ask the question then? If it were me I would ask a question that has something to do with MY prospects or I would use the search function. If you don't find anything in the search then don't assume your question is novel. Assume your question isn't worth asking.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:26 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:

It's like this is the everyone be a dick thread. Let me chime in. It's "shoo-in." Also, OP, I doubt many people on here know one way or another, but my thinking is along the lines of yours. It's probably a positive if it's anything, but it probably doesn't have much effect at all beyond maybe giving the applicant a topic for a good diversity statement.

moshid

Postby moshid » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:31 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:
moshid wrote: 1.) I never said I was from a random small country. I'm not.

Why ask the question then? If it were me I would ask a question that has something to do with MY prospects or I would use the search function. If you don't find anything in the search then don't assume your question is novel. Assume your question isn't worth asking.

Excuse me for using numbers to organize my thoughts again. It's just easier for me.

1.) I did use the search function and I couldn't find anything (of course, this could just be a failing on my part).

2.) Regardless, the question still concerns me, it just doesn't concern me directly.

3.) Why should I assume my question isn't worth asking if I didn't find it by searching? Has every question worth asking been asked? That seems like a ridiculous notion.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it is a stupid question. Just please tell me why it's stupid. I'm perfectly willing to accept that I'm wrong, I just don't understand why everyone's reacting with such vitriol.

moshid

Postby moshid » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:32 am

Kabuo wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:

It's like this is the everyone be a dick thread. Let me chime in. It's "shoo-in." Also, OP, I doubt many people on here know one way or another, but my thinking is along the lines of yours. It's probably a positive if it's anything, but it probably doesn't have much effect at all beyond maybe giving the applicant a topic for a good diversity statement.

Wow, thank you. I really appreciate it.

aperfectmap

Postby aperfectmap » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:14 pm

I immigrated from an Eastern European state - formerly part of the Soviet Union - with my family when I was six. I tied this experience into my PS and I think that it could have made for a decent diversity statement if I hadn't already written about it in the PS.

Don't know if it is much of a bonus, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:43 pm

Isn't everyone from a random country? I mean, I've yet to meet anyone who got to choose where they were born...

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:43 am

Also interested in the OP's question. Anyone who is not from North America/Western Europe/Australia care to chime in? Were you admitted? Where? What were your numbers?

Edit: OP, don't worry. This forum is notorious for douchebagery.

vulpixie

Postby vulpixie » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:14 pm

A strong, compelling Diversity Statement is an excellent soft. Probably akin to a year of work experience in terms of how much it boosts your application.

If being from a "random" country enables you to write a strong, compelling DS, then yes, it will help your chance of admittance. But it's still only a soft.

moshid

Postby moshid » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:14 pm

aperfectmap wrote:I immigrated from an Eastern European state - formerly part of the Soviet Union - with my family when I was six. I tied this experience into my PS and I think that it could have made for a decent diversity statement if I hadn't already written about it in the PS.

Don't know if it is much of a bonus, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

vulpixie wrote:A strong, compelling Diversity Statement is an excellent soft. Probably akin to a year of work experience in terms of how much it boosts your application.

If being from a "random" country enables you to write a strong, compelling DS, then yes, it will help your chance of admittance. But it's still only a soft.

That defnitely makes sense. Thanks

Renzo wrote:Isn't everyone from a random country? I mean, I've yet to meet anyone who got to choose where they were born...

haha, poor choice of words. by "random" i just meant "a country that is not represented in that school."

Return to “Law School FAQ”