If you don't go to the school you got accepted via ED..? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Schang1

Bronze

If you don't go to the school you got accepted via ED..?

Post by Schang1 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:24 pm

I was wondering what would happen if you decide not to go to the school you got accepted via binding ED.

Badgers2012

New

Re: If you don't go to the school you got accepted via ED..?

Post by Badgers2012 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:27 pm

You would have to sit out that year from attending any law school and could apply the next cycle. I don't know why you would apply ED if you didn't want to go though

Schang1

Bronze

Post by Schang1 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:44 pm

I know I shouldn't have done this -- but I applied ED to a reach school, so there is like a 1% chance of me getting accepted with my numbers, but should I still call and tell them that I want to change my status to RD? Ugh I was just tight on time -- so I made up my mind in less than a day and just decided to apply ED 2 days ago. I know it is very unlikely that I will get admitted, but I was just afraid that I *might* and would not want to end up going there... any advice? Kind of afraid that if I call them, they'll auto-reject me for not taking it seriously.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:46 pm

Schang1 wrote:I know I shouldn't have done this -- but I applied ED to a reach school, so there is like a 1% chance of me getting accepted with my numbers, but should I still call and tell them that I want to change my status to RD? Ugh I was just tight on time -- so I made up my mind in less than a day and just decided to apply ED 2 days ago. I know it is very unlikely that I will get admitted, but I was just afraid that I *might* and would not want to end up going there... any advice? Kind of afraid that if I call them, they'll auto-reject me for not taking it seriously.
Is it a binding ED? Not all are.

If you had a 1% chance with ED, you're probably not getting in RD. (Unless it's one of the ED programs where admission comes with a big scholarship, which are actually harder to get into ED.)

But sure, call and ask to be switched to RD.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:47 pm

If you really don't want to go, call/email and let them know. It happens fairly often, it's not a big deal.

Rink, I've never heard of an ED program that wasn't binding.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

citykitty

Bronze

Post by citykitty » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:52 pm

minnbills wrote:If you really don't want to go, call/email and let them know. It happens fairly often, it's not a big deal.

for some reason, SMU and UH call their programs ED, but they're really EA. If you get your app in by a certain date, they promise a response by the end of January IIRC.

Schang1

Bronze

Post by Schang1 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:53 pm

Thanks a lot guys.. I was thinking maybe I should just not call them since it is very unlikely that I will get accepted even with ED in the first place -- what do you guys think?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:55 pm

Schang1 wrote:Thanks a lot guys.. I was thinking maybe I should just not call them since it is very unlikely that I will get accepted even with ED in the first place -- what do you guys think?
What would be the goddamn point of this?

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:57 pm

Schang1 wrote:Thanks a lot guys.. I was thinking maybe I should just not call them since it is very unlikely that I will get accepted even with ED in the first place -- what do you guys think?
If you really don't want to go, or would be unwilling to go if you got into another school, you should probably change to RD.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:32 pm

I applied ED to ND, a school that i also have like a 1% chance of being admitted to. However, with their contract it said that I was bound to attend in the fall of 2012, so I don't know if I even have the option of sitting out a year even if i wanted to.

Schang1

Bronze

Post by Schang1 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:34 pm

mattviphky wrote:I applied ED to ND, a school that i also have like a 1% chance of being admitted to. However, with their contract it said that I was bound to attend in the fall of 2012, so I don't know if I even have the option of sitting out a year even if i wanted to.
Me too. I applied ED to U Penn (they had a form I had to physically sign and attach) but I think I'm going to take the above posters advice and call them tomorrow and ask to be changed to RD :(

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:37 pm

minnbills wrote:If you really don't want to go, call/email and let them know. It happens fairly often, it's not a big deal.

It's a misnomer

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:38 pm

mattviphky wrote:I applied ED to ND, a school that i also have like a 1% chance of being admitted to. However, with their contract it said that I was bound to attend in the fall of 2012, so I don't know if I even have the option of sitting out a year even if i wanted to.
you do, you can always not pay your seat deposit. Schools can't force you to attend, even if you ED.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Schang1

Bronze

Post by Schang1 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:46 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
you do, you can always not pay your seat deposit. Schools can't force you to attend, even if you ED.
but the restriction is that you can't attend any law school that cycle, is this correct?

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:59 pm

Schools will almost invariably waitlist or deny you if you switch from ED to RD. It's a big red flag that you have reservations about going there.

That said, if you wouldn't go to a super reach school anyway, why did you apply ED? If you have reservations for any reason, either switch to RD or withdraw the app. It should have the same practical effect.

paul34

Bronze

Post by paul34 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:09 pm

Last edited by paul34 on Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:14 pm

I believe UT has an 'Early Decision' program that is not binding. And Cornell's 'Early Action' program is similarly so.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:15 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:

I believe UT has an 'Early Decision' program that is not binding. And Cornell's 'Early Action' program is similarly so.
Yep. And until last year, ND's ED was non-binding, which I remember tripping up a few people last cycle when they realized it had been changed.

Schang1

Bronze

Post by Schang1 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:17 pm

Thanks for all the input :) I'll just leave it since I'm not going to get accepted anyway.

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:15 am

Schang1 wrote:Thanks for all the input :) I'll just leave it since I'm not going to get accepted anyway.
Glad to see you absorbed and heeded all the advice in this thread!

horrorbusiness

Silver

Post by horrorbusiness » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:33 am

Schang1 wrote:Thanks for all the input :) I'll just leave it since I'm not going to get accepted anyway.
did you want to ED somewhere else instead?

Schang1

Bronze

Post by Schang1 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:04 am

horrorbusiness wrote:
did you want to ED somewhere else instead?
No, i would just rather want to go to cornell over u penn (IF i got into both). :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”