Do fee waivers entail any meaning?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Schang1

Do fee waivers entail any meaning?

Postby Schang1 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:59 pm

I was just curious to know if there is any meaning attached to receiving fee waivers.
For example, I received fee waivers from UCLA, Washington U, Vanderbilt, but schools that are lower ranked like GW and Notre Dame said I didn't qualify for one as I had to be above both medians or something. I was just starting to worry that this meant something. :shock:

caminante

Re: Do fee waivers entail any meaning?

Postby caminante » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:04 pm

Each school has its own parameters for selecting fee waiver recipients. The only meaning you can gather from them is that you do/ do not fall in those parameters. There is no meaning with respect to chances of admission.

However, being below both medians can certainly tell you something about your chances at being admitted: not particularly strong.

Schang1

Postby Schang1 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:15 pm

caminante wrote:Each school has its own parameters for selecting fee waiver recipients. The only meaning you can gather from them is that you do/ do not fall in those parameters. There is no meaning with respect to chances of admission.

However, being below both medians can certainly tell you something about your chances at being admitted: not particularly strong.

Thanks for the insight. I was worried because I was above +3 points on the median LSAT for GW and Notre Dame but below median on my GPA so was just worried that I didn't have a chance at all in those schools. But if it doesn't entail any meaning as to my chance of being admitted, I'll be more than glad to submit apps for those schools :)

zonto

Postby zonto » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:42 pm

I got fee waivers to both Harvard and Hamline (among a bajillion others). They mean nothing.

However, I would suggest taking advantage of fee waivers tactically for scholarship negotiation purposes. $12 can mean thousands later.

indo

Postby indo » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:10 pm

zonto wrote:I got fee waivers to both Harvard and Hamline (among a bajillion others). They mean nothing.

However, I would suggest taking advantage of fee waivers tactically for scholarship negotiation purposes. $12 can mean thousands later.

+1

Return to “Law School FAQ”