If you are over a school's 75th... Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
msblaw89

Gold

If you are over a school's 75th...

Post by msblaw89 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:31 pm

on both LSAT and GPA numbers... do the schools auto-accept? ( assuming no C&F issues) or do they really look at all the other stuff? I've heard mixes answers so hoping someone can set the record straight

tennisking88

Silver

Re: If you are over a school's 75th...

Post by tennisking88 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:50 pm

HYSC will probably look at who are you are, because they get (& reject) a lot of people above both medians. Other than that, barring a criminal record or academic misconduct, you are probably good.

thsmthcrmnl

Bronze

Post by thsmthcrmnl » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:55 pm

If it's not Yale or Stanford, probably. But you could also get yield-protected.

ahnhub

Silver

Post by ahnhub » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:04 pm

Depends on the school. HYS definitely doesn't--Y and S in fact regularly reject people with insanely high (like 176+, 3.9+) LSATs and GPAs. Berkeley does the same.

There's no such thing as auto-accept, though. I would guess at places like Georgetown, NYU, Cornell being over both 75ths will give you a better-than-90% (maybe higher) chance of getting in, if you don't get yield-protected. I don't think there's ever a good reason to give short shrift to the "soft" parts of your app--chances of good things happening, from acceptance all the way to full scholies, go up the more they like your application.

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:07 pm

Can someone elaborate on "yield-protected" not exactly sure what it means

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kring345

Bronze

Post by Kring345 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:13 pm

If you have a 3.9 / 174, there is a chance that Notre Dame will deny you. Chances are EXTRAORDINARILY high that you'll be accepted to at least 4 out of 6 of HYSCCN. So unless you have a very compelling reason (as identified in "Why ND" essay), wtf would you matriculate for?

By denying you, theyre able to add one more person to the "deny" column and thus make their school more difficult to gain admissions to (percentage wise), which affects their ranking, etc.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:15 pm

msblaw89 wrote:Can someone elaborate on "yield-protected" not exactly sure what it means
rejecting or waitlisting someone who is over both medians/75ths because you're afraid that if you accept them, they'll deny you in favor of a better school (and thus bring down your stats for rankings)

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:17 pm

Anything to worry about if you are just slightly over both 75ths?

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:18 pm

msblaw89 wrote:Anything to worry about if you are just slightly over both 75ths?
Hard to tell. Depends on the school and the cycle/your app.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kring345

Bronze

Post by Kring345 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:19 pm

msblaw89 wrote:Anything to worry about if you are just slightly over both 75ths?
Check on LSN

But if you are truly worried about 1 particular school, just be certain to annotate somehow that you are genuinely interested and not jsut applying for scholly leverage, boosted LSN profile, etc etc

mrloblaw

Silver

Post by mrloblaw » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:45 am

Kring345 wrote:
Check on LSN

But if you are truly worried about 1 particular school, just be certain to annotate somehow that you are genuinely interested and not jsut applying for scholly leverage, boosted LSN profile, etc etc
That totally cannot happen. Can it? Are the people around me really that douchey?

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:30 am

mrloblaw wrote:
Kring345 wrote:
Check on LSN

That totally cannot happen. Can it? Are the people around me really that douchey?
boosted LSN profile? Why the hell would that make a difference... i get scholly leverage

Kendi

New

Post by Kendi » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:27 am

I doubt if being substantially above median is a genuine issue.

I was recruited (via email and sometimes phone) by schools where I was way over their median. The school I decided on (all to do with location) gave me a scholarship, but not a full ride. Some schools with a higher ranking offered a full ride. Even schools like UPenn and NYU offered partial scholarships, nearly identical to what I received outside the T-14. Go figure.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:36 am

Some schools don't YP at all. Others will YP pretty gratuitously (cough American cough). It depends on the school.

There's a thread somewhere on here where someone looked at the data and determined that T14 do not YP, they have just more holistic admissions standards, which explains why some people with good numbers don't get in. UVA, for instance, will waitlist (though not for YP reasons) people with good numbers who don't write a good Why UVA essay. UVA just wants admits who sincerely want to be at the school, and are good enough that they can be that selective and still maintain their medians. I believe Michigan does this to, though not quite as blatantly.

Use LSN to get an idea of which school yield protect. If you're worried about it, a good "Why X" essay will usually make it a non issue.

However, if a school is yield protecting, you can probably get into much better schools, likely with scholarship. If a school yield protects you, its probably for the best that you didn't go there.

Kring345

Bronze

Post by Kring345 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:45 am

mrloblaw wrote:
Kring345 wrote:
Check on LSN

I dunno, I was just messing around. But i wouldnt be surprised.

EMZE

Silver

Post by EMZE » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:05 am

Kring345 wrote:
mrloblaw wrote:
Kring345 wrote:
Check on LSN

I dunno, I was just messing around. But i wouldnt be surprised.
Me. I do this.

People live or die by LSN around these parts of town. You can make up for every T14 denial with 14 tier 2 acceptances. I have no intention of going to law school. But I am hoping to at least show my LSN during my next job interview. I've been applying to law schools every year since 1998. Yales gonna bite eventually.

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:33 pm

Me. I do this.

People live or die by LSN around these parts of town. You can make up for every T14 denial with 14 tier 2 acceptances. I have no intention of going to law school. But I am hoping to at least show my LSN during my next job interview. I've been applying to law schools every year since 1998. Yales gonna bite eventually.[/quote]

I guess I don't understand the point of a LSN profile.. and why applying to more schools is a big deal? Do law schools scope out the profile or something? I guess... what is the advantages of having a LSN profile with lots of "accepts" other than to intimidate/show off to other LSN stalkers?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:55 pm

EMZE wrote:Me. I do this.

People live or die by LSN around these parts of town. You can make up for every T14 denial with 14 tier 2 acceptances. I have no intention of going to law school. But I am hoping to at least show my LSN during my next job interview. I've been applying to law schools every year since 1998. Yales gonna bite eventually.
Notsureifsrs.jpg

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:39 pm

still lost...

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:59 pm

msblaw89 wrote: I guess I don't understand the point of a LSN profile.. and why applying to more schools is a big deal? Do law schools scope out the profile or something? I guess... what is the advantages of having a LSN profile with lots of "accepts" other than to intimidate/show off to other LSN stalkers?
So you can provide other candidates with useful information regarding admissions standards of law schools.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:07 pm

msblaw89 wrote:still lost...
It was a joke? LSN is purely for fun/help.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

EMZE

Silver

Post by EMZE » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:30 am

stone cold serious. I sent my first app in to Yale in 1998, using my middle school grades. When I showed my LSN during job interviews, just that fact that I had the cajones to apply landed me a job at petsmart. Once I got my first TTT admission and was able to show an admit during my next round of part time employment auditions, I scored a job at the dry cleaners down the street. It's only been uphill from there. You're a fool if you aren't using LSN as a part of your resume.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:36 am

EMZE wrote:stone cold serious. I sent my first app in to Yale in 1998, using my middle school grades. When I showed my LSN during job interviews, just that fact that I had the cajones to apply landed me a job at petsmart. Once I got my first TTT admission and was able to show an admit during my next round of part time employment auditions, I scored a job at the dry cleaners down the street. It's only been uphill from there. You're a fool if you aren't using LSN as a part of your resume.
Troll harder.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:57 am

Kring345 wrote:If you have a 3.9 / 174, there is a chance that Notre Dame will deny you. Chances are EXTRAORDINARILY high that you'll be accepted to at least 4 out of 6 of HYSCCN. So unless you have a very compelling reason (as identified in "Why ND" essay), wtf would you matriculate for?

By denying you, theyre able to add one more person to the "deny" column and thus make their school more difficult to gain admissions to (percentage wise), which affects their ranking, etc.
it's more about YP than selectivity

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:02 am

Samara wrote:
EMZE wrote:stone cold serious. I sent my first app in to Yale in 1998, using my middle school grades. When I showed my LSN during job interviews, just that fact that I had the cajones to apply landed me a job at petsmart. Once I got my first TTT admission and was able to show an admit during my next round of part time employment auditions, I scored a job at the dry cleaners down the street. It's only been uphill from there. You're a fool if you aren't using LSN as a part of your resume.
Troll harder.
Not even a funny flame attempt.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”