Reapplying after TFA - Do I write a new personal statement?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
TammyG

Reapplying after TFA - Do I write a new personal statement?

Postby TammyG » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:03 pm

So, I first applied to law schools in 2009 and got into many that I loved! However, I got into TFA, and decided to decline instead of defer because I wasn't sure if I would continue to teach past my 2yr commitment.

Here I am in year 3, and I'm applying again. I'm retaking the LSAT in December because I also want to increase my score.

Questions:
1. Will the law schools still have my previous application/LORs/statements on file?
2. Do I need to write a completely new PS or can I just edit it to include relevant TFA references?
3. Would #2 be more viable if I wrote a completely new DS based entirely on TFA? (Previous DS is outdated as it heavily focused on the 2008 Presidential election).
4. Do I need an addendum to explain why I declined the first time around?

Thanks in advance for the answers and advice! :D

kahechsof

Re: Reapplying after TFA - Do I write a new personal statement?

Postby kahechsof » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:09 pm

My opinion is it is not worth being lazy about law school applications. You should have the best personal statement you can have, regardless of if you already wrote one a few years ago.
Also, why so late?

TammyG

Re: Reapplying after TFA - Do I write a new personal statement?

Postby TammyG » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:35 pm

kahechsof wrote:My opinion is it is not worth being lazy about law school applications. You should have the best personal statement you can have, regardless of if you already wrote one a few years ago.
Also, why so late?

Thanks for the advice!
Regarding the PS, I really love my previous personal statement and it has some really important themes and information I want to share. I think it can be edited to include the relevant TFA information/theme and still be wonderful. I just didn't know if the admissions councils would have the other to compare it to, and if it was too similar, they wouldn't read it.

Why so late?
Teaching and unfortunate events.
-Signed up and paid for a TestMasters course so I could take the test in June only to have it canceled. With teaching, I didn't feel I could adequately prepare myself without a class commitment.
-Prepped for the October test, but again, prepping for a new school year and writing a curriculum, I didn't feel as ready as possible. So, alas, here I am taking it in December.

The second time I took it was in December and I applied after my scores came out and I was happy with the results. I'm hoping that a great LSAT score will outweigh a later application :)

Return to “Law School FAQ”